Bent County, CO - Oil & Gas Discussion archives

Went by Bent County court house on the 18th they told me they were still leasing but not as heavy as before. Was told that most of the county was leased . There was 2 land men in the court house still looking for places to lease. The price was anywhere between $ 50 to $350 depending when they leased. The people in the north east part of county usually got a little more. Talked to several people who got $125.00 a/c and 3/16 . I would say that was the norm. Rumor has it they were hauling oil out from the Brown well and it had lots of gas but due to no infrastructure they were going to shut it in for a while again this is rumor. So it looks like it will be at least a year before we know anything. Also was told that they were drilling a well north of the reservoir.

Thanks for news Carolyn and Ray. A high school classmate lives north of reservoir and was told they have tentative plans to drill on their property next year after some testing this past spring. If they keep getting good drills; the infrastructure will likely come and then that could trigger more activity...we hope.

It's hard to get any info. living out of state but we do travel thru Co. We try to go by the court house and check the records to see who is leasing and try to find out what's going in the area.

I live in Las Animas and now that I have this forum I can try to keep others informed. As a retired management auditor I will try to separate the facts from rumor; I appreciate your comments being labeled as rumor. As you know it is hard to verify all the facts. I know enough people in the county to be able to sort most out and verify.

Thanks will keep in touch with any thing we find out. I know some other min. owners in the area that would like that.

The McCammond Family has mineral rights in Bent County. I'm suggesting that anyone with lease free status hold tight as a unit for better lease terms. The time for Bent Co. will come into play.

Hello

Here are more rumors about the Brown well. Rig is gone and well was fracked. The well has been shut in due to the large volume of water it was producing and the closet SWD is 110 miles each way! Yikes!

The well was producing about 60 bbls/day oil and several hundred bbls water per day. This is only a rumor. Bent county is on the South end of this play and it is true that if your in the NE corner of the county then that's way better than being in the SW 1/2 of the county. (yes there is a diagonal line from the NW corner down to the SE corner of the county.

The pay zones pinch out along that line so says a U.S. Geological society study.

Robert, Thanks for your information on the Brown well. As a novice (at best) on these technical matters, all input helps me in my education. We have small holdings all throughout the county with six sites in the NW corner of the county and spread out nicely (they tell me).

If the oil is good there is a way to get rid of the salt water they can drill a salt water disposal well close by or they can do what one oil co. in jack co. in Texas did they built a desalination plant and removed the salt from the water and used the water to frack new wells, which saved a lot of ground water but due to cost the wells must be good justify the cost. to build one.

The problem with drilling and building a SWD is the cost and liability.

The average disposal well cost may range from $1.5-$4 million dollars.

The costs to operate and maintain are high as well.

Unless you have about 5,000 bbls per day of injection then the payout is

way too long. Hence no SWD.

Hello, Who said it was salt water, are we at sea or what?

I did not know that John Martin was salt water. Please help me

understand all this!

Not only the cost but in Co. you probably could not get a permit to drill one. I don't know what they get per barrel for despoil fee in Co. But I get Charged $ 8.00 Per B. on one I have interest in Texas, an some places charge more. so at 8.00 X 5000=40000. X 30 =$120000.00 a month X 12 =$ 1440000 most of the Barnett shell well produce around 500 barrel per day X10 wells =5000 so if they only drill one well it would not pay fore itself but at 10 it would take around a year to get a pay back, I don' know any thing about a JOHN MARTIN well but most well produce salt water, if it was fresh water you could use it irrigate with.

As a consultant, I specialize in produced water recycling etc in Colorado and, previously, have worked for many years as a water discharge regulator for a state agency.

I do have current projects that require trips to Bent County and would be glad to have informal meeting to discuss background on some of the produced water issues with landowners.

If interested, let me know...

Gary, Thanks for weighing in on the issue. In the future if events progress to a larger scale of activity and if/when significant water issues enter in, I am sure your type of services could well be sought after by drillers as well as mineral rights owners.

Dean,

Just wanted to clarify...my intent is to offer "free" information to help contribute to a better local understanding of the issues related to produced water and am definitely not using this forum as a means to generate business. I believe certain types of produced water are valuable water resources and can meet certain water demands - and am trying to spread the word. One piece of advice is - to think ahead about produced water issues before this water becomes an actual problem. Oil operators have been known to utter - "it is all about oil until they encounter water, then it is all about water".

Also, my current work in Bent County does not relate to oil/gas issues, but involves wastewater issues. Thanks for your comment.

Someone asked about why there is saltwater underground.

The formations where the oil and gas are present were made by or deposited

by a huge inland sea a few hundred million years ago. There is probably huge amounts of salt as well that were deposited by this old inland sea.

I'm no geologist but have a basic understanding about such things because i grew up in Midland, TX which is in the middle of the Permian basin which had it's own inland sea.

It's a shame about Colorado not granting new permits for SWD injection wells. That's a major hurdle for future development in the area.

http://www.ogj.com/articles/2013/10/baker-hughes-us-drilling-rig-count-climbs-to-1-756.html

Texas & Oklahoma looking good, more rigs.

Natural Gas is coming, how soon can we buy a new car with it?

5 years I hope with $2.00 a gallon for natural gas at truck stops!

http://ezinearticles.com/?Overriding-Royalty-Interest-Explained&id=4131378

Does anyone know who I would contact if we wanted to lease. We have minerals in 25S 51W and 25S 50W. We would also consider selling.