Bakken Shale - Oil & Gas Discussion archives

Joan, I would suggest you read this. It will give a better understanding of what you walk on everday. then you will understand what i refer to. https://www.dmr.nd.gov/ndgs/out%20of%20print/Bulletins/Bulletin%204…

Later Bryan

Carolyn:

Looking at the map, I would guess that these counties are too far to the East for any Bakken activity. There are numerous plugged wells in these areas but these wells were most likely old vertical wells from years ago. This is not to sound discouraging since no one can predict what the future holds for these areas in regards to other formation developement. With today’s advanced drilling technology, existing formations in these areas could prove an attractive venture in the future.

We don’t know if we are anywhere near the Bakken but we have some min. we got from Granddad they are in Stutman, Lamoure, and Kitter North Dakota. also have some South Dakota in the north West Corner of the state.

Carol, Stutsman, Lamoure, you kinda run into granite which is called the precambian basement, there was a series of wells drilled in Stutsman co. and they run a depth of 3690’ to 3872’ and they were all dry holes and hit the precambrian basement. these were close to the town of Gackle. Lamoure the the same story 3000’ to 3300’ you hit the basement, i could go on with this but i am really doubtful they will ever find oil in these countys worth going after. some wells were drilled 1954 some 1967 and some 1979 and 1984. Around the Jud, Edgeley area they do have shows of natural gas in water wells and there still wondering where that is comming from!

Later BJ

Bryan, I own land in the Red River Valley, Traill County, and it seems like when the area was covered by glaciers the water table was under great pressure and forced all kinds of things to occur under ground. When the glaciers melted our land was on the shores of Lake Agassiz and all kinds of things emerged with the water table when the pressure receded. Salt from some formations and natural gas from some formations. Now you could go down a few hundred feet and get water that could be used for animals, but we never drank the water. My grandfather was the first to farm this land and he had drinking water from other sources when they lived there. The very deep water table could be very large and the Natural Gas could be coming from the west.

So…it would not surprse me if we have oil on our land, but I suspect it is deeeeeeeep.

Joan, for comparison, look at this report done on Divide Co, it will help you understand why they have oil and gas in western North Dakota and there is nothing going on in the eastern part of the State.

https://www.dmr.nd.gov/ndgs/out%20of%20print/Bulletins/Bulletin%204…

Later Bryan

Joan, Here is another interesting piece. https://www.dmr.nd.gov/ndgs/out%20of%20print/bulletins/bulletin_40.pdf

Later Bryan

Carol, forgot to mention there is about a 300 mile spread from williams co to stutsman co. the bakken seems to get real shallow fast when you get east of the missouri river.

later BJ

Thanks, I read the first one and they noted land at Mayville which is where our land is and correctly is black silt and very productive. My land is about 13 miles west of the red river. They need to update the current water movement as we have changed the land so water flows south to the goose river. There is never any water standing so we can grow crops on all acres. We have an active conservation effort in Traill County.

They only drilled down at most 500 feet to understand the geology.

Delete Comment

Be very carefull when dealing with Shale or Apache. I had not known about the deadline cut off, I was 4 days late. So everyone else in are grop signed on time. Some of the others pitichend for me untell Shale sent me an e-mail offering to lease if I just confermend that I wanted the lease in a reply e-mail. So I did and of course they didnt honer that offer of a lease. So be cairfull or you could be like me and be the only one with no lease now.

I own the mineral rights on approximately 800 acres in Rolette County and was wondering if there was any activity in the area.

I was leasing for a client in Rolette and Bottineau counties back in January and February of this year. The only success I had was in making a lot of new friends. The particular areas I was leasing are all considered to be rank wildcat, meaning that the only wells ever drilled there were all dry. Since any drilling here is so high-risk, my client wanted to keep the money at risk as low as possible, so they were only offering $30/NMA and 12 1/2% for a 5-year primary, with a 3-year option (at 150% of original bonus) and wouldn’t budge off those numbers. I would have liked to have seen the client go higher, but the Bakken/Three Forks shale ends over a hundred miles to the west, so the play here (if there is any play at all) is entirely different. In any case, the mineral owners wanted money more in keeping with what mineral owners are receiving in the BTF and the client wasn’t willing to go higher. After a couple of months with no results, they asked me to fold up camp and go home. Since they were the only game in town (at the time), by the look of it Rolette will probably be passed by for a long time to come. 5 years ago, everyone in Bottineau and Rolette was happy to lease for $15/NMA.

If anyone would like to lease on the terms noted above, let me know and I’ll contact the client and see if they’re still interested in the area. Let me know the legal on your parcel and I’ll check in with them.

I have not heard of any leasing activity in Rolette county yet.

My father homesteaded in Roosevelt Co Montana in 1918. The property is located in T30 R48. Our family owns the mineral rights. Any information on leasing activity, royalty %, well spacing requirements, lease value/ acre would be appreciated.

Mr. Coalson, I think the mineral owners may have made the right decision for the wrong reason. 12.5% isn’t much of an upside after taxes and presuming post production deductions and at todays value of a dollar $30 per acre isn’t much money if you don’t have alot of acres.

$30, 5 years with 12.5% royalty with option for 3 years sounds like pure speculation and I may as well speculate with my acres on my own for $6 per year.

Paul:

Looking at the GIS map, the area in T30N;R48 consists of numerous older wells, majority which are plugged and the active wells which are vertical, is targeting the Nisku Formation. No horizontal wells observed in the area. It could be several years before the area will be targeted for new wells but you want to stay abreast of the activity near this area.

Does anyone know the current SWD per barrel charges?

Not looking for the total cost to producing wells (trucking/transport etc…). Just trying to find actual per barrel pricing charged for the Salt Water Disposal at the SWD well. If possible please indicate what county. Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Eastern MT, probably no help at all but I have family working in SWD here in Tx and they tell me the SWD business is cutthroat here, that they used to charge more but now only charge $0.50 per barrel to send the water down the hole. Of course they get the skim oil too.

Paul, as to spacing requirements, the state is very liberal up to and including allowing a temporary spacing order for the operator to drill a well and the operator after completing the well informs the state what kind of well they have completed and the state issues a permanent spacing order. Far different than someplace like Oklahoma where the operator usually has to specify what formation/s they are attempting to produce before they drill.

As Charles mentioned…there is absolutely NO activity with horizontal wells to your North, South, East, West. Nuts!!! Thus, I would keep checking the GIS map on the Montana Board of Oil and Gas website to see if the movement starts to go up your way. This is one way to “stay abreast of the activity” in this area. Good Luck!!