Anyone with experience in the Eagle Ford?

My father has the gas, oil, and mineral rights to 1200 acres in Dimmet County. The family owned ranch totaled 3000 acres at one time until he sold his land but kept the oil, gas, and mineral rights. A landman named, Garret C. Nies, recently approached him about leasing. I can not find out much about him, so I do not think we will pursue this lease. My father is interested in finding a great landman to lease this out. He would like to lease it for $1200 an acre for the right to drill and 25% royalty on a three year lease where there is restricted use of fresh water, cover land damage is addressed, and no warrant of the mineral rights. I understand that Anadarko is drilling in this area. Is this correct? The ranch is ten miles outside of Crystal City. When my grandmother owned it it was called the MW Ranch. I was told that the only way to negotiate from a position whereby I know I am not leaving anything on the table, is investing a couple thousand dollars to hire a contract landman to do a lease takeoff so I can see who else has leased, come up with other mineral owners and then call to inquire as to bonus they received and come up with possible competing offers. Is this correct advice?

Leila,

I am a landman who works the Eagle Ford Shale. I represent many well known companies who are buyers for Dimmit County. I do not think it is necessary to acquire a landman to tell you the value of your land. I would be happy to discuss your acreage as well as the possibility of leasing your acreage. Please give me a call at your earliest convenience, my number is below. Thank you in advance for your consideration. I look forward to hearing from you shortly.

Regards,

Cas Atchison, RPL

Leila, I am CPL with extensive experience in the Eagle Ford and Dimmit County. I negotiate with oil and gas companies on your behalf so you get the best lease possible. There is more at stake than bonus as you know. I’ve been a landowner representative for more than 25 years and have been in the industry for more than 35. Please visit my website: www.conceptenergyinc.com or call me at 210.404.9544.

leila armstrong winssinger said:

My father has the gas, oil, and mineral rights to 1200 acres in Dimmet County. The family owned ranch totaled 3000 acres at one time until he sold his land but kept the oil, gas, and mineral rights. A landman named, Garret C. Nies, recently approached him about leasing. I can not find out much about him, so I do not think we will pursue this lease. My father is interested in finding a great landman to lease this out. He would like to lease it for $1200 an acre for the right to drill and 25% royalty on a three year lease where there is restricted use of fresh water, cover land damage is addressed, and no warrant of the mineral rights. I understand that Anadarko is drilling in this area. Is this correct? The ranch is ten miles outside of Crystal City. When my grandmother owned it it was called the MW Ranch. I was told that the only way to negotiate from a position whereby I know I am not leaving anything on the table, is investing a couple thousand dollars to hire a contract landman to do a lease takeoff so I can see who else has leased, come up with other mineral owners and then call to inquire as to bonus they received and come up with possible competing offers. Is this correct advice?

I have had a lot of interest since posting not only this website but by also contacting Chesapeake directly. I will do a follow-up tomorrow, and also after my father gets a copy of the legal description to me. Thank you.

Leila,

I look forward to hearing from you. Thank you in advance for your consideration.

Regards,

I have had a lot of interest since posting not only this website but by also contacting Chesapeake directly. I will do a follow-up tomorrow, and also after my father gets a copy of the legal description to me. Thank you.

Leila - you might be getting confused by all the letters after the names… :wink:

To learn more about AAPL Certification, follow this link: http://www.landman.org/WCM/AAPL/CERTIFICATION/AAPL/Certification/Ce…

Good luck…

Garrett, From what I heard about what you were offering, it doe not sound competitive. I have had 8 landmen contact me since. Two are directly from the oil companies.; Chesapeake and Devon. Do you have my sister, Sally Lewis’ ranch leased? I hope it is competitive, because there is a lot of interest down there. It should at the least be as I described below. You must have some sort of activity in three months time I was told, and you should be leasing the whole entire acreage otherwise my father will be free to lease out the rest. If this is not correct, then I am open to comment on this site.

Leila,

I would greatly appreciate the opportunity to discuss leasing both your sister and your ranches from you. I lease for major oil companies with outstanding reputations. I would have no problem meeting your request for your lease. The companies I work with are professional, reputable and will close quickly. Please give me a call at your earliest convenience so that we may discuss further. Thank you in advance for your consideration. I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards,

Cas Atchison, RPL

Garrett, From what I heard about what you were offering, it doe not sound competitive. I have had 8 landmen contact me since. Two are directly from the oil companies.; Chesapeake and Devon. Do you have my sister, Sally Lewis' ranch leased? I hope it is competitive, because there is a lot of interest down there. It should at the least be as I described below. You must have some sort of activity in three months time I was told, and you should be leasing the whole entire acreage otherwise my father will be free to lease out the rest. If this is not correct, then I am open to comment on this site.

Wow, for some reason I was just sent this thread…I am not surprised that there are many people willing to lease your minerals We just sold our “holdings” (2 months ago) in south Texas with one of the main reasons being the cost of drilling & completion operations have skyrocketed down there. When we were involved, a 3-year primary term lease with 6 month continuous operations clause, $3k+/ac bonus, a 25% royalty with on lease only water use outlined on either a footage drilled per producer or barrels used was the norm, IF you have sufficient fresh water capacity. If you do not or don’t want the operating company using your water well, you should still be able to require they drill & equip for pumping a new water well w/ a nice big pond next to it & when they complete their drilling operations all of it belongs to you. I am sure terms have gotten better for mineral owners in the “oil window” & possibly a bit less in the “gas areas” but, that should give you a reference point from a few months ago.

Thank you Nick that was very helpful!

Nick Privett said:

Wow, for some reason I was just sent this thread…I am not surprised that there are many people willing to lease your minerals We just sold our “holdings” (2 months ago) in south Texas with one of the main reasons being the cost of drilling & completion operations have skyrocketed down there. When we were involved, a 3-year primary term lease with 6 month continuous operations clause, $3k+/ac bonus, a 25% royalty with on lease only water use outlined on either a footage drilled per producer or barrels used was the norm, IF you have sufficient fresh water capacity. If you do not or don’t want the operating company using your water well, you should still be able to require they drill & equip for pumping a new water well w/ a nice big pond next to it & when they complete their drilling operations all of it belongs to you. I am sure terms have gotten better for mineral owners in the “oil window” & possibly a bit less in the “gas areas” but, that should give you a reference point from a few months ago.

We currently have 160+ acres unleased in SW Washington County near the Fayette and Austin County borders. Recently been contacted by two seperate companies wanting permission to run seismic testing on our acreage. Any info on current rates are for granting seismic rights would be appreciated. Also interested to hear which companies might be leasing in the area.

I’ve checked well logs in our area and some late 90’s wells about 1/8 to 1/4 mile away from our property show that the EF is around 150’ thick in our location.

Thanks.

DGaar

$15 an acre is pretty much the going rate for seismic. I have seen more in Karnes and DeWitt but not much more ($18-$20). I grew up in WC. You know any of the Schmidt’s or Bender’s in that area

Maybe it’s the area but I am pretty sure we got $25 per acre for the 3D seismic - Dimmit Co.

I am interested in Leaseing in the play. Let me know if I can help.

I have mineral rights for lease in McMullen Co - 2600 acres. send email if you're interested.

DW said:

I am currently leasing in McMullen, LaSalle and Webb Counties. Can you give me an idea where the acreage is?

I am interested. Details and terms, etc. please

Thanks

Eric Schmitz

We’ve got 8+ acres about a mile east of Cotulla in LaSalle county on RR624 and Gaudalupe st. We’re pretty sure we own the mineral rights and have received an offer from a “minerals outfit” to buy the rights out right for 3K an acre, all or none. Obviously we’re not going to take this offer. Since we’re on the edge of town and next to bigger parcels of land I think others are perhaps talking to the oil boys or will be, EOG, El Paso or whom ever is moving in from the east. We’re also interested in leasing the rest of surface location to oil and gas type outfits for storage, staging etc. We’ve got about 1 acre in use presently to a oil hauling trucking company but want to lease out the rest. Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated…Gary

Would you consider a salt water disposal well located on you property? Rents to you run 500 to $1000 / mo?

Mr. Schmitz:

How do I reach you?

Scott Smith

Texas Landman said:

I am interested. Details and terms, etc. please

Thanks

Eric Schmitz

That’s low on our list of things we’d like to see there. if it were a part of a package to lease the entire 7 acres left besides the present 1 acre being leased it would be more attractive. Obviously we’d like to do a single deal for it all…Gary

Texas Landman said:

Would you consider a salt water disposal well located on you property? Rents to you run 500 to $1000 / mo?