Wilbarger County, TX - Oil & Gas Discussion archives

THANKS, IDT.

Cabot filed a completion report with the RR Commission for the Byars well, but it does not give any test results. It says it is a new well record only.

Thanks James. Everything is hush hush. At least it's not bad news.
Clint Liles

If a company has a lease already, Are owners contacted before surveying or drilling begins? If so what for? Do they need approval from owners even if lease has been signed? Curious. Mom was contacted about some sort of survey or review.

I heard it might be seismograph work.

Geokinetics has been contracted by Anshutz to do a seismic survey on 50 square miles ne of Vernon (the McDuff well is in the area). I just signed a permit with them and the map I saw looked like they had a lot of it signed up already. They said they plan to start later this month once they get all the permits. They said they will cover Cabot leases also.

Unless it is in your lease to receive notice, they usually only contact you if you own the surface also.

Thank you all for info. Jerry, do you mean they plan to start drilling later this month or doing the geokinetics later this month. The permit my family has is expiring in 6 months. Curious if they are actually going to make it in time. Thx for posts.

Have rights holders in that 50 sq mi parcel started receiving or signing lease offers yet? My family holds some mineral acreage in that direction and we've been contacted by Cabot. So far, though, no hard information or offer has been forthcoming. I'd like for rights holders in that area to work together to secure the best possible lease terms, if that's at all possible.

I kind of wondered what was going on too. Seems backwards to lease the land and then come in 2 years later and do the seismic work right before the leases start expiring. I know they have options on most of the leases, but..........

I think the land Anschutz has Geokinetics working on is primarily under lease to them right now.

BTW, Dawson did a seismic survey that covered the land north of Fargo and east (also a mile or so west) of Highway 283 a year or so ago. It covered the Fargo Field and on toward Doans.

I was referring to the start of seismic work. It is on land leased by Anschutz. They have to get permission from other companies like Cabot to survey their leases but that is a common practice according to Geokinetics.

Thx Jerry-

The land my family has is leased with Anschutz- they own the land as well. It's near the McDuff well. Hopefully they will make it in time. They had a sense of urgency on having my parents agreeing to seismic work.

C, I'm optimistic something good will come from this since they have a producing well in the McDuff. To me the best case is they see what they want in the survey, pay a second bonus to extend the leases and then start drilling. I have heard that one reason development might slow is because of the lack of water for fracking.

We've been contacted by Geokinetics as well. I did a little research and haven't found anything real good. They run heavy equipment and cut down trees/fences (they repair fences) that are in their path. Anybody have any info on their process?

Here's their link:

http://www.geokinetics.com/

Seem to be respected in seismic matters.

They basically lay out a grid to do the work. They have to clear paths for the grid, if the land isn't open.

They should have a map of where they need to go on your land.

ldt, they did provide a drawing and unfortunately it is right through the middle of some woods I do not want them to enter. I'm working with them to see what can be done. I'm not apposed to them getting the information, just didn't want the only trees we have wiped out.

Scott, I found the same reviews, but considering they are a world wide operator it didn't seem out of line for that size company (unless you are the one complaining). However you are wise to discuss this with them before you sign. It is a very brief document and I had them add a clause that they would pay for crop damage in addition to the offered compensation. They use a formula of 8' X distance traveled and it did not amount to much acerage. They use the heavy 60,000 lb trucks and even with wide tires they are going to not only destroy cotton but also leave depressions in that sandy soil. Trees are a different matter because they have to clear a path and compensation for that is not easily computed like crops (county average yield X price). You might look on the site for discussion in South Texas counties where brush and hunting are important. ***Nice buck.