Update on Lynn Co. Drilling Activity

I was in Tahoka last week, and when I asked about drilling activity, was told:

1. Shell drilled on the Lynn/Terry counties line just north of US 380 (Tahoka/Brownfield hwy.), got dry hole, and moved the rig a little further northeast. They had another derrick on the way from Houston, but part of it fell off the train, was damaged, and sent back to Houston for repair!

2. Petrohawk is clearing 3 drilling pads in the Lakeview area (that's west of New Home, I believe).

3. There are 2 new pads in the Tahoka Lake area (northeast of Tahoka).

4. An additional 3 new pads in eastern Lynn County.

5. SM Energy's well just north of Draw (southeast Lynn Co.) ended up a dry hole.

6. Lots of drilling activity still around Lynn and Borden/Dawson county lines...several new permits there.

7. There was a rig accident last month east of O'Donnell that killed two rig workers. Tahoka Fire Dept. realized they don't have the right equipment to handle rig accidents/fires, and are talking with big oil companies about subsidizing costs of new equipment. The companies are willing to spend that money, so that implies to me that they're serious about being in the area for a substantial time.

8. Shell's still buying up leases all over the county. I was told last Fall they're buying hundreds of thousands of acres of leases in the area.

So things are hopping all over the county!

Good report I will have to try harder to catch up to lynn county, what you said about dry hole is what I had heard. I am told but havnt found the site we can find some rig data on baker hughues rig count daily drilling depth reports ,etc. I was told that there had been horizonal wells mapped in lynn county dont know where.

On my way to Colorado last week, I drove by the farm to see what was going on around there. My farm is on fm 213 at the bend west of 87...I saw 3 pads on 213. I'd like to find out if they are new pads to be drilled or drilled and abandoned. The gravel looked undisturbed but then again how disturbed can gravel look. Anyone familiar with the 3 pads I'm speaking of. They front 213 on the south side of the road. Any info is appreciated...

I saw them building one of those pads back in August when I was there - it's maybe a mile west of US 87 on the south side of FM213. At that time it was the only one between US 87 and Wells Gin at FM213 and CRd J.

Thats good to know, then I would imagine a rig or 3 will be heading over there soon.

Paige Johnston said:

I saw them building one of those pads back in August when I was there - it's maybe a mile west of US 87 on the south side of FM213. At that time it was the only one between US 87 and Wells Gin at FM213 and CRd J.

I hope more drilling continues and the results are successful in Lynn County. Our land & minerals are also 5 miles west of US HWY on FM213 at the bend on the North Side of the HWY. We have received 2 offers to lease one being about a year a ago and another one recently. Looking to lease with the right company and the right price.

we are basically neighbors then Festus. how many lbs/acre of cotton do you average, assuming you farm cotton? from what i've been told, Shell is buying alot of leases in Lynn county. We signed at 400/acre, 25% royalty back in october, at that time our lawyer said we were getting the most per/acre that he'd seen, and from this forum it looks like $475/acre is the going rate. hopefully, these pads going in around the county produce good results, i agree!

got some more gossip for anyone thats interested...the farmer that farms our land said there are 19 rigs being shipped from australia headed to lynn county....and that someone drilled a well west of us near the new mexico/texas state line that test flowed at 1,200/bpd...word is the well is the 1st horizontal well in the region, and they think the shale drilled extends into lynn county...who knows if any of it is true but its fun to hear about.

john I just parked in brownfield really like your gossip It gives me more to search for will be hear for a couple of weeks just working on search of abstracts and looking to buy minerals. there is a rig off of 380 one mile or so in texas south will check it to see the horizonal permits in that area. if we can find such will try to get picture of said rig. finely having fun in brownfield.
Josh Hatfield said:

got some more gossip for anyone thats interested...the farmer that farms our land said there are 19 rigs being shipped from australia headed to lynn county....and that someone drilled a well west of us near the new mexico/texas state line that test flowed at 1,200/bpd...word is the well is the 1st horizontal well in the region, and they think the shale drilled extends into lynn county...who knows if any of it is true but its fun to hear about.

feet on the ground....awesome!

e dubose said:

john I just parked in brownfield really like your gossip It gives me more to search for will be hear for a couple of weeks just working on search of abstracts and looking to buy minerals. there is a rig off of 380 one mile or so in texas south will check it to see the horizonal permits in that area. if we can find such will try to get picture of said rig. finely having fun in brownfield.
Josh Hatfield said:

john I am about to go out the door and do a drive by in lynn and terry this day have been hearing lots of good stuff will try to find time soon to give full report .

Josh Hatfield said:

e dubose said:

Josh Hatfield said:

e dubose said:

john I am about to go out the door and do a drive by in lynn and terry this day have been hearing lots of good stuff will try to find time soon to give full report .

Josh Hatfield said:

e dubose said:

Josh Hatfield said:

e dubose - please get back to us here and let us know what you find. I am currently holding a lease agreement in my hands but have not signed yet for mineral rights I own in Lynn County adjacent to Hiwy 87 (east side) approximately 20 miles south of Lubbock and 10 north of Tahoka. Need to know what the best bonus price is and if the current rate is 25%. Thanks. I grew up on that property but being in Houston now, don't get back much.

e dubose said:

Josh Hatfield said:

e dubose said:

Josh Hatfield said:

Mary Lou Boggus said:

e dubose - please get back to us here and let us know what you find. I am currently holding a lease agreement in my hands but have not signed yet for mineral rights I own in Lynn County adjacent to Hiwy 87 (east side) approximately 20 miles south of Lubbock and 10 north of Tahoka. Need to know what the best bonus price is and if the current rate is 25%. Thanks. I grew up on that property but being in Houston now, don't get back much.

e dubose said:

Josh Hatfield said:

e dubose said:

Josh Hatfield said:

Dubose, how's the research going? I got an email that you posted on here but didn't see anything? Hop all is well

up to my in alagators will explain this weekend all going good

Josh Hatfield said:

Dubose, how's the research going? I got an email that you posted on here but didn't see anything? Hop all is well

Does anyone know anything about Caffey Group out of Ft. Worth that represents Enduro Resources. I now have an offer from Shell and one from them. Caffey Group is offering $100 more in bonus money and 25% royalty. I also hear that they have visited Cal Huffaker in Tahoka trying to work out some sort of deal with him to send business their way. So far, Shell is unwilling to match their offers because it is rumored that they have not paid anyone yet so no precedent has been set. Does it appear that the bonus money is going up over $450? If anyone knows anything, I would appreciate a reply. Am going to have to make a decision soon.

Mary Lou, we had offers from Caffey Group in August 2011, but they were less than other offers we'd received, and they were staying firm on their offer, so they dropped out in September. At that time they were offering $300/acre Bonus, 20% Royalty, 3/2. I haven't heard from them since then. They must have changed their strategy since then if they're going head-to-head against Shell. We haven't signed anything yet with Coastal (for Shell) because they're still doing the title work.

Verrrrry interesting...thanks for the post!

Paige, thanks for the reply. Do you know if $450, 25%, 3/2 is the best offer going? Caffey is going higher than that on the bonus if it is a rather large property but seems anxious to get folks signed this week. Don't know what the rush is but so far Shell does not seem to be budging on raising the cap on bonuses and the reason given is what I said above which makes me wonder if the price will go up as soon as someone actually gets paid this amount. Kinda makes one want to drag their feet just a bit! Smart move or not - I don't know.

Hi Paige. I was contacted by Coastal about 3 weeks ago and their original offer was $450, 3/2, with 22.5 percent, and then they dropped the offer to $400 with the 3/2 and 20 percent. I am having my attorney review the proposal.

Paige Johnston said:

Mary Lou, we had offers from Caffey Group in August 2011, but they were less than other offers we'd received, and they were staying firm on their offer, so they dropped out in September. At that time they were offering $300/acre Bonus, 20% Royalty, 3/2. I haven't heard from them since then. They must have changed their strategy since then if they're going head-to-head against Shell. We haven't signed anything yet with Coastal (for Shell) because they're still doing the title work.

Verrrrry interesting...thanks for the post!