Unsolicited offer to by inherited mineral rights

Hello,

My father received an unsolicited offer to buy his mineral rights. The letter claims these were inherited from a distant relative of ours.

Sounds pretty fishy.

Is this common and possibly legit?

TY.

Chris this happens quite often… congratulations on your inheritance

1 Like

Where in Leon County are these mineral interests located? Do you know the survey name and abstract number?

It is possible. Ask the potential buyer why they thing he inherited and who he inherited from. If they are vague or won’t answer, then walk away swiftly. Then do your own research and confirm independently. The buyer plans on making a profit on the purchase, so it is worth some investment in getting the information straight and finding out if your father wants to keep it instead. He needs to find out if there is activity nearby/pending or if he already has royalties that he does not know about.

2 Likes

I receive quite a number of offers to buy, both in the mail and on the phone. A slightly different type of offer that I receive involves a tract that has a little bit of a title problem. In that case, over a period of time I received offers to buy, offers to help me resolve the title for a portion of royalties being held in suspense, and offers to help me resolve the title for an hourly fee or a flat fee. I am working to resolve the title problems myself, with my attorney.

In my experience, purchase offers often come in when the other party knows something that the typical mineral owner doesn’t know. Maybe a permit has been applied for or approved, or the word is out that a company plans a big development project. Maybe drilling is underway or completed and the division orders have not yet been mailed out by the operator. Maybe a really good well has come in quite close by. Maybe my tract already has one or more producing wells, and there is space allocated for more wells, so the potential buyer is thinking that more wells will indeed be drilled in the future.

Did your offer letter specify the exact description of what you inherited? If not, call and have a friendly chat to learn more about the offer, and be sure to ask for the legal description of the tract and what percentage of the minerals you supposedly own under that tract of land. Maybe they will provide you with book, page, and date of recording of the deed in which you were Grantee. You can then post the description of the tract here and somebody will probably look it up for you to see if there are wells on it or nearby. If you post the $ amount of the offer, somebody may help you evaluate it. (By the way, my personal policy is that I do not sell.)

Welcome to the world of mineral interest ownership, and to the forum!

2 Likes

It’s my dad’s but yeah thanks. Apparently my uncle was contacted a few years back on his fractional share and was paid a couple thousand. My father did not engage as he had recently been victim of cyber crime. But apparently it’s legit.

If someone wants it, it is probably worth hanging onto. Clint Liles is a whiz at the RRC website, so if you post the abstract # and name, he may be able to help you with a map so you can get located and find out about nearby wells.

I’ll post what I know about the rights and see what resources there are to find out if there are royalties in hold state or a pending well…

Here is what is on the deed they want us to sign All of Section 18, Block 54, T-21, T&P RR Co. Survey, Loving County, Texas.

How do we find out if there are royalties being held, current leases, etc.?

I found this. Same for us.

Hello Chris…the RR Commission GIS( Geographic Information System) shows a Block 54T1 and a Block 54T2 but no Block 54T21…please check again to clearify

Capture

1 Like

Chris after checking the GIS map I find some good gas wells with condensate and good oil/gas wells in this area of Loving County. The major producers in this area are EOG(Enron Oil and Gas), Anadarko E & P, Shell Western E & P, and PDEH LLC. The major productive zone is this area is the Phantom(Wolfcamp) formation. GIS map of Loving County, Texas Section 18/Block 54T2/A-967:

CLICK ON MAP TO ENLARGE

Martha, this information possibly needs to be moved to the Loving County Texas Discussion. https://www.mineralrightsforum.com/c/texas-mineral-rights/loving-county-tx/703 Thanks

1 Like

Thanks for helping! I moved it over to Loving County, TX.

Sorry typo 54 T-2.

Thanks

Hey Chris…if those were my minerals I wouldn’t sell them unless I was desperate for money…and if I was desperate I would sell only a percentage and keep some for myself…JUST MY OPINION

So how does one going about finding out if there are active leases, back royalties, etc?

I’m guessing since they are offering $5k there must be something there and it’s probably worth more.

What did people do b4 the internet? :wink:

TY

Chris the well in the far Eastern part of Section 18 was drilled from a pad in Section 19 and runs North all the way through Section 18.That well API 301-33662/Birdie Bell 54-2-18 LOV #3H/Lease # 283914 is a producing gas well with condensate(liquids). This well was completed Nov. 8, 2017 and went online in 2018. Anadarko E & P(Exploration & Production) is the operator/producer of this well. Your Dad or someone should be getting paid some nice royalty checks from these wells. This link is to the approved drilling permit for this well. http://webapps2.rrc.texas.gov/EWA/drillingPermitDetailAction.do?methodToCall=searchByUniversalDocNo&universalDocNo=491208854&rrcActionMan=H4sIAAAAAAAAAL1Qu27DMAz8mnQU9EiMLByMop3bJmgGI4NiE44A2TIoOW0BfXxpFwVSp3MmHe-o45FZSQk6K6lAPRDVZZ1c6N9qaip5hJn_wJMdhqgFyyLhp42iDZeVKbeSdQ0r_fx0KBmaCTbkvHd9-4LUuRRfR6SvH1PRBG5aQ4fpHJp9eLTeM7EBwjRSvw87tFSfmdqCvMlSxVktqY1isGS7d-tHnCNyBiOVMUUxLcKGJ2xdHw8uTWbs9qdWelFf9y_GqnudIP6uXsBgW6SrFf-9hzpWy74pKqisQclsGKxB5g2_BRO3v-9yzW-Qs19wXQIAAA

This document is complete production data on lease # 283914:

CLICK ON DOCUMENT TO ENLARGE (Sorry I couldn’t make it any larger print)

Well API 301-32656 on the West side of Section 18/Birdie Bell 54-2-18 LOV #2H/Lease # 287754/oil & gas well originally drilled by Shell Western E & P and sold to Anadarko E & P. Link to approved drilling permit for well API 301-32656: http://webapps2.rrc.texas.gov/EWA/drillingPermitDetailAction.do?methodToCall=searchByUniversalDocNo&universalDocNo=489365501&rrcActionMan=H4sIAAAAAAAAAL1Qu27DMAz8mnQUJDk2snAwinbuI2gGI4NiE4oA2TIouQ9AH1_aRYHU6ZxJvOPpeGRWUoLOSipQd0Rt3SYXhpeWukYeYeE_8GTGMWrBbZHw00Rhw_umqHeS-xo2-vHhUHNZzGVHzns32Cek3qX4PCF9_ZiKLrBoCz2mc-j24d54z0QJhGmiYR9e0VB7ZmoH8ipLE5duTTaK0ZDp34yfcInIGQqpCl2V1YxKOKF1Qzy4NJux2x-s9Apf6ldj1a1OEH9Xr2A0FulixX_voY7NWjdHBZU1KJkLLrYgc8lvxcT175tc8xv2uqqjXQIAAA

Unable to get total production data on this document from Feb. 2016 to present but got the last 10 months of production on Lease # 287754:

CLICK ON DOCUMENT TO ENLARGE

Well 301-31610 West side of Section 18/Birdie Bell 54-2-18LOV/Lease # 42372/Originally drilled by Chesapeake Operating in 2011/Plugged August 26, 2017

Leases are filed at the county courthouse. Landmen would go and look up everything by hand, and some still have to because the records are not all digitized yet.

First thing would be to contact the operator and ask for the division order analyst for your abstract. Explain that you are the heir and ask how you should get into pay status and get any back royalties. They will need ID, copies of your probate documents and whatever else they ask for. Ask for a copy of the lease for your records. You also might try www.texasfile.com. Look for your ancestor’s names.

1 Like

If you own in Sec 18, there are active producers. As Clint said. Your relatives may or may not have gotten (or been due) nice royalty checks, depends how much you own. But somebody should have been paid something, or it’s sitting in suspense somewhere. At some point Oxy will come in here and drill more longer wells. IMO people should be paying you > $15k per net royalty acre.

If you were offered $5k, in total, then you probably don’t own very much here. If you have a legit offer it should say some decimal in the lease or some $ amount per net royalty acre.

These are the people in the tax rolls there. Who Oxy/Anadarko thinks owns in the well. I assume one of those is your people. The smallest interest is still worth a lot more than $5k.

Owner Owner Address Owner City Owner State Owner Decimal Interest
YOUNG BELL MINERALS LP % LAURA QUISENBERRY 29486 FM 3009 NEW BRAUNFELS TX 0.058594
ROYALTY ASSET HOLDINGS II LP 5956 SHERRY LN STE 1221 DALLAS TX 0.03125
BIRDIE SLACK INVESTMENTS LLC % KENNETH LESTER SLACK JR 8626 MIDDLE DOWNS DR DALLAS TX 0.029297
PEGASUS RESOURCES LLC PO BOX 470698 FORT WORTH TX 0.023396
BRIGHAM MINERALS LLC 5914 W COURTYARD DR STE 100 AUSTIN TX 0.017902
ALLDALE MINERALS LP PO BOX 22027 TULSA OK 0.01212
RICE JANA 7403 SAGE OAK TRL AUSTIN TX 0.01123
NICHOLS LISA 1408 SUNFLOWER CIR N PALM SPRINGS CA 0.01123
SLACK KENNETH LESTER JR TRUST % KENNETH LESTER SLACK TRUSTEE 8626 MIDDLE DOWNS DR DALLAS TX 0.009766
SLACKMASTER LLC % JAMES YOUNG SLACK 6822 LAKEHURST AVE DALLAS TX 0.009766
BOX GAIL SLACK TRUST % GAIL SLACK BOX TRUSTEE 1 BELL ACRES ST PECOS TX 0.009766
RHODES CORAMAE % UNKNOWN ADDRESS/PER OPERATOR \N \N 0.007812
REGIUM HOLDINGS LP 7500 TURTLE CREEK BLVD DALLAS TX 0.003909
WILCO PROPERTIES INC 4809 COLE AVE STE 107 DALLAS TX 0.002667
BOSQUE MINERALS LTD PO BOX 671098 DALLAS TX 0.002667
TUNDRA AD3 LP 2100 ROSS AVE STE 1870 DALLAS TX 0.00248
MCMULLEN MINERALS LLC PO BOX 470857 FORT WORTH TX 0.002034
CALLAHAN DONALD L JR 6363 SKYLINE DR APT 53 HOUSTON TX 0.001712
FORTIS MINERALS II LLC PO BOX 470788 FORT WORTH TX 0.001426
DILGARD JOHN 7750 STATE HIGHWAY 220 CASPER WY 0.000488
DILGARDE EDWARD C III 20157 RANGEVIEW DR MORRISON CO 0.000488