Understanding Spudding of New Wells

Last month Camino spudded three new Great Plains, Sec04-Twp05-Rge05. The wells are in adjoining locations. I’m a rookie and am trying to follow what’s going on. Forms1001A indicate they were spudded and casing cemented on consecutive days 12/15 to 12/17. Would this indicate that a “Spuddding Rig”, or a “Drilling Rig” was utilized. Or does it indicate nothing and I should wait patiently for Camino’s next filing. Patience has never been one of my strong points! Thank you for your time and consideration.

As of Jan 5, Cactus 168 rig is onsite. It is a big “walking” rig. 1800 HP

(Cactus 160 walking rig is in section 10 working on the Black Mesa wells.)

Put on your patience hat and wait for about five or six months until you get your Division Order. The completion posting on the OCC is usually about three to four months after the completion is finished, so about a year from spud since they are drilling three wells back to back.

You can keep an eye on the OTC which will post the “active date”, also somewhat delayed from the final completion but usually before the OCC posts. https://oktap.tax.ok.gov/oktap/web/_/

Use the Public PUN search and type in Great Plains. Only the first one shows up right now. Great Plains 0505

1 Like

Thank you Martha and Happy New Year!

1 Like

Happy New Year! Looks like next new year will have some nice revenue.

1 Like

Yes, Happy New Year Martha! I see in your response above that Cactus 160 is working in Section 10 on the Black Mesa wells. What does that mean (walking rig)? Are these the new wells and have they actually spud them? My section is 10-5N-5W Grady County. I don’t have any PUN numbers yet to keep track of the process. Thank you.

Black Mesa 0505 #3-10-4MXH spud 1/4/24. This is one of the new wells. You will not see a PUN number until the well is completed.

Google “walking rig” and you can find some nice videos on how they work. Essentially able to use giant hydraulic cylinders that lift the rig and allow it to move a short distance along rollers. Pretty amazing.

1 Like

I worked in Saudi Arabia in the 70’s. The video of Walking Rigs and vertical drilling 2 miles down and doing a right angle are amazing.

2 Likes

These new Black Mesa wells being drilled to Sections 3 and 10, are the actual wells on Section 4 as in the earlier Black Mesa Wells? I would like to go to the drilling site if I can find it.

I need to check the Baker Hughes site. When. first saw it posted, it was in section 10. You may be able to drive by and see if it is still up. Do not go on the rig site. It is dangerous and most operators will not allow visitors without proper training an protective gear.

Thank you Martha. There is a road that runs just in front of Section 10 and there used to be an old house my grandparents lived it but it has fallen down. I can probably see the drilling site from the road if it is still up.

Looks like the Black Mesa rig Cactus 160 is near N/S edge County Street (or road?) 2970 in the SE corner of section 10. The cross road E-W is County Rd 1440

I will take a look. Thank you!

Lee, I remember when slant hole drilling was a negative term. Now they have perfected it and made it acceptable!

1 Like

You’re right, the dollar always wins!

Cactus rig (168) drilling the Great Plains well…

2 Likes

Thanks for the picture. You anywhere around the Great Plains rig, also a Cactus rig?

Lee_Cooper … Oops!!! This is the Great Plains rig… Cactus Rig 168 on the sign. Section 4-5N-5W. Got to edit the picture post…

Don - I thought I was the only one that would do something like that. Thanks for your time and consideration!

1 Like

Don, you wouldn’t have one of the Cactus 160, Black Mesa Rig, Section 10-5N5-well would you?

Cactus Rigs 160 & 166 signs at entrance… rigs are well off the road… last pic is from the Laflin Creek Cemetary road looking East.

1 Like