Unclaimed mineral interests

I received a letter from a stranger making me aware of unclaimed property in OK, belonging to my late grandmother. As an heir, I filed a claim but I’m not sure where to begin obtaining some of the information required by the state. Is this worth the time? I’ve read through many of the posts here and it seems it may be but how do I know? It looks like the mineral interests are in Grady County (Section 28-06N-08W) and are pooled (no sure what that means?). The property type is listed as Royalties on all 8 accounts. Thank you in advance for any insight.

1 Like

Yes, it is worth pursuing through the State Unclaimed Funds site, not an outside party who will charge you a percentage.

You will need to know who you might have inherited from. Condolences on the death of your grandmother. Her name will be your key to finding everything. You may possibly have to find her spouse or whomever she inherited from.

You can find the wells listed at the OCC wellrecords site. Type 2806N08W into the location. Look for the 1002A form which is the completion form for each well. Also look for the 1073 form which is the change of operator form. You may have old royalties from some of the old wells sitting at the state. https://imaging.occ.ok.gov/imaging/OGWellRecords.aspx

Now go to 3306N08W because there are two more horizontal wells called the Norris Trust. You really want to pay attention to those. Now go to 2106N08W and find the third Norris Trust well. The surface locations are in the contiguous sections. These are newer wells and you will have to contact the operator to get into pay status. They are probably holding royalties and have not turned them over to the state yet.


Once you find out about the first properties, you may find that you have other properties. You can search the name for most counties in OK at www.okcountyrecords.com. They may or may not be producing, but you need to get all your properties accounted for.

You may have to file an affidavit of heirship or have wills probated in order to get the royalties. Those wells are worth it…

1 Like

Thank you!! I did see that website but didn’t think I was getting anywhere. I am a bit confused about the Norris Trust but I’ll dig into that too.

My grandmother passed in 1986 and my father in 2003 so I believe my sister and I are the only hiers and she would have likely inherited from her parents.

I really appreciate the help as this is totally Greek to me!

Here is a map that will help you visualize it better. image

Wells on the wellrecords site are posted by their surface location.
However, if you are looking for production, I have found more luck searching by bottom hole location or name in the OK tax production site. Gross Production

Norris 1 and 2 have a surface location in sec 33 and go north for their horizontal wellbores. Norris Trust #3-28H has a surface location in the most SE corner of section 21 and it goes south. The wells are spaced at 640 acres, so your minerals will be a part of their royalty pay out. The other wells in the section are vertical older wells and may or may not be holding funds for you. These are likely the ones that show up on the state unclaimed funds.

You may have to deal with probate or affidavits of heirship for both your grandmother and your father. Lots of comments on the forum about that subject.

Search your grandmother’s (and other relatives’) name here:

Oklahoma Unclaimed Property Search

Mineral Interest Escrow Account Search

If the funds are in excess of $10k the unclaimed property division will require a probate. In addition, they may require additional records showing that your grandmother held an interest in the property.

Probates are usually fairly simple and painless in these types of cases.

1 Like

Yes, it is worth it – but as stated by others, be sure you only proceed through the official unclaimed property site. I posted elsewhere on this site about my years-long efforts to provide the proof needed, it was a part-time job that required many hours of research, and the team at Unclaimed and I were on first name basis by the end – the check I eventually received was well worth the frustration and efforts. My advice is to treat this project like a job with an excellent hourly rate, just keep learning and gathering information and asking for help. You are in the right place, so many helpful people here, good luck!!

1 Like

Great advice and information from M Barnes! Follow her advice-she knows what she is talking about!

Due to the number of identity theft issues, the Oklahoma treasurer’s unclaimed treasurer’s office exercises a level of due diligence that seems fairly extreme. They generally require official death certificates and certified court orders. Also, they require a government issued photo identification and some legitimate record of a social security number (SS Card, W-2). They may also require that a deed be provided. Therefore, often a probate order by itself is insufficient for the treasurer’s office to release funds.