Tyler County, WV - Oil & Gas Discussion archives

Kyle, give me some info about a Top lease, I wrote you an email, haven’t heard from you, pertains to do Tyler lease we signed, Oct,'12 Thanks, BLStringfellow

Hi Bertie,

I just replied to your message. For those who don’t know, a top lease is a lease that is taken while there is a lease already in place. There are sometimes prohibitions on top leasing in existing leases; Antero calls it a Right of First Refusal, for example. It gives them the right to accept any lease that is negotiated on the property while their lease is in place. They can refuse if they want.

A company will top lease when they think that the company that already has the lease isn’t going to do anything with the property.

It’s a good opportunity for a mineral owner to get some security. You’ll get a new bonus before the old lease runs out, and get a chance to talk with a company that is interested in the property.

Thanks Kyle, replied to your message, will be in contact with you,

Anyone dealing with Kinder Morgan in Tyler county yet?

Hi everyone. New here, does anyone know if there is a website to find land leases through the county clerk on line, similar to the Doddridge county clerk’s site?

thanks.

Not sure how to reply directly to the person answering, but Nancy, thank you so much! I appreciate the assistance.

Cindy

Hi Cindy, Here it is

http://tylercountywv.com/

Part way down the page see this

Tyler County Web Base Tax and Document Inquiry

and click on http://129.71.117.165

Select Document Inquiry. It apparently is not working tonight but did the last time I checked, a few weeks ago.

It is not complete but has a lot of leases and other things.

Does anyone know when Antero sends out their royalty checks and an average amount that people are receiving? My portion is 11 acres in 3 different tracts.

Also anyone have any positive/negative experience with Antero in Tyler County?

Chrystal, This is a question that has varying answers. If you did not get any provision in your lease the company may take up to a couple years to get checks out. If you read their lease you will see there is no penalty for them to drag their feet on paying royalties. You will get a division order first so they can drag out the title searching again to make sure they get it right. As far as amounts, that would vary but, the first check will be the largest because of “backpay”. I don’t know about Antero in Tyler but, they are the same no matter what county. The agents that they have getting leases do not work for them but are independent land agents in most cases. They are the ones that give the companies a bad name when negotiating. Antero like the rest, expect you to pay for getting the minerals out, enhanced and sold and you end up with a much smaller check. A lease without changes pretty much gives them most of the profit and they take the costs out of your royalty check. Nancy M. can chime in here and tell you where to find out what and if there are wells being drilled on your interests, since you did not mention if there were.

The Tyler County website is tricky. If you want deeds before the mid ninety’s, you need to install a separate app on your desktop. Basically after the page loads and you click on document image button, you go to far right and right click on the button farthest right that says right click (there may be two). You then left click " remove this application". When that is finished you right click again on the button which has a new name…“Book/Page” and you have the option to install “WEB book and Page application onto this computer”. This will install a link on your desktop which you can then use to find older deeds…

Thanks Jim, I didn’t know that. I’ll have to try it.

Chrystal, here is the website to look up production if you know the API number WV Office of Oil and Gas Well information

The numbers listed are reported by they company, due to the office of oil and gas by the end of March of the year following the production year (e.g. what is in there now for 2013 production was reported by March 31 2014, and the Office has until August 2014 to get it keyed into the database, so the information is quite out of date. Ohio has numbers by the next month, I think. Anyway that is what is available.

DT is right about the slowness of things and the reasons for it, and about the large deductions for post production costs that most companies are able to take from the royalty portion because most leases don’t protect the mineral owner because most companies won’t agree to a lease which is good to the mineral owner.

If you want a lot of information, go to the Doddridge group. A lot has been written there about Antero and the slowness of getting checks once the well has been drilled.

undefinedAttached are the instructions from Tyler County Clerks office.

Greetings, everyone! Thankfully I figured out how to leave comments now. I have inherited tracs per my mother who passed almost a year ago, so YES…I am a “newbie.” There is already one existing lease that was signed by an attorney/guardian on my mom’s behalf, in 2013. To the best of my knowledge, drilling has not yet taken place, and I also have to take care of getting surviving siblings names on that lease. Not too much of a problem there. I have been approached by Landsmen Mark Mellor, with S&A Research. We met with him personally, and to be honest, were comfortable with him, and he seemed authentic. Has anyone had experience with Mr. Mellor and S&A Research thus far? Comments?

Thank you, DT.

The majority of the 140+ are mostly relatives. I’m only inquiring to see if they have been happy with their lease agreements, and if they have signed with the same Landman that has approached me. I am doing a lot of research, and I’m asking plenty of questions…lol. I’ve been offered 16% thus far…what do you mean by 3000? Signing bonus? I’ve looked at the 10 do’s and dont’s about leases on this site…so far, and I am obviously NOT a legal expert, but my lease “seems” to meet everything I have questions about thus far. Trying my best to get in contact with Kyle Nutshull as well. You are right…patience and effort.

Yes Debra it now makes sense. Keep reading the forum and search for more info. Lots of people here who have been through the process. Maybe some of your relatives read this.

Anderson/Weekley families

Deby, being comfortable with a land agent? I would say cautious would be the feeling one should have. Read and ask lot’s of questions would be good advise and do not sign anything or believe too much any agent says concerning the companies plans. Almost all agents are independent and get their money from getting owners to sign any document(lease). Some of their “promises” sound good but, the signature is what they want. Whatever it takes would be a good motto for them. The more questions you have the more you will see what is going on with the oil companies.

Deby, you said below something about an existing lease from 2013? Are you asking about just ratifying the lease or something, now that you are the owner through your inheritance, or a new lease on a different tract, or something new for that 2013 lease? In earlier years a one year lease might have been standard but not so likely now.

DT is right about knowing that landmen not necessarily looking out for your interests, but sometimes they are really helpful, depending on things.

Depending on where you are in Tyler, there is a HUGE producing well just came in production in Tyler, a Triad Hunter well, so parts of Tyler are KNOWN to be valuable.