Tyler County, WV - Oil & Gas Discussion archives

Ooops. By the way…I am in Akron, Ohio. Many relatives still living in Sistersville, Middlebourne…area of muddy creek is where most of the land exists.

For anyone…do I contact the Tyler County Courthouse to see “WHO” has signed leases, and this Triad Hunter well…dumb question…how does one know which wells one is connected to??? Those trac numbers are confusing…

I’m not going to have a good day at work tomorrow,LOL…it’s 1:17, and I’ve been researching. NANCY…thank you so very much for the website…BINGO!!! Was able to find several family members who share interest. They had already been approached MUCH earlier than I, but being a heir, I can understand the research that goes into tracking down folks. I’m happy right now just finding and seeing cousins/family still involved. There has been NO DRILLING on any of my mother’s tracs yet, or at least this is what the NEW land man told us. The only thing I know she received for sure was the bonus check that went towards her estate that the attorney deposited. It wasn’t like winning the Power Ball, but hey…it was a decent amount for my mom’s care. The attorney did complete a W-9. Once I agree to the terms of the separate lease, I will also complete a W-9. We were “told” the taxes on mineral rights are not that much…pay it, or lose it.

Bertie Lou…quite possibly, yes!!! Weekleys are part of my mother’s family.

I will go thru my info tomorrow, I am in Ok., It is good to hear from someone involved in the same lease, JayBee tried to sue for our lease in 2011, I think, even tho we had paid taxes for over 100 yrs, I protested and they dropped the suit, we signed with PetroEdge in '12, now its, STATOIl, they have not applied for a permit yet.

Here are instructions for getting to the older deeds and leases. After you are on the correct page for the current one, http://129.71.117.165/ and Document Imaging, do this:

If you want deeds before the mid ninety’s, you need to install a separate app on your desktop. Basically after the page loads and you click on document image button, you go to far right and right click on the button farthest right that says right click (there may be two). You then left click " remove this application". When that is finished you right click again on the button which has a new name…“Book/Page” and you have the option to install “WEB book and Page application onto this computer”. This will install a link on your desktop which you can then use to find older deeds…

Your computer might not need some of this.

Looking for anyone who may be who may involved with mineral rights in Tyler County…Muddy Creek area more specifically. There are 140+ of you. Weekley, Anderson, Wade, Stevens…looking for those who have already signed leases and your experiences?

Deby, you are welcome. One comment I would make is do not rely too much on others because, some owners sign leases with no changes. The owners who do their homework can negotiate better terms. You may ask around to find out royalty percentage and bonus but try to negotiate a lease that benefits you. Ask any and and many questions on here and in time you will get plenty of experience. This game is one of patience and takes awhile to get the best deal. Most areas in the 3 counties around you are in the 18 percent royalty 3000. bonus give or take but close. Language in a lease is the key and without changes you will be left paying tons of the companies cost. Google mineral leasing and read some of the attorney sites on leasing.

Nancy Mosley=just a bit complicated. My mother passed in January. She was part of inheritance in Tyler County (Ellsworth District) that has history/land owners/lease agreements dating back to 1800’s+ …just now digging into history, and quickly being educated…so much more to learn and get educated on! My mother had a guardian/attorney two years prior to her death, who signed a lease in 2013, that involved tracs the attorney “selected”, and signed a lease for. It was with JB Exploration, again for just a selected number of tracs. “I” was not aware the attorney signed a lease, but that is OK. We know now, and have a copy of the lease, provided to me from ANOTHER party, Mark Mellor with S&A Research/Statoil USA. This is the lands man and new company who has approached our group of 140+ to sign leases…or “so he says.” Mr. Mellor stated there has NOT been any drilling yet on those tracs leased by the attorney…so we are talking a little over a year with no drilling which is to be expected. It is a 5-yr. lease, and it looks like the attorney negotiated a pretty good lease. I am now faced with providing paperwork to JB to prove we are heirs and entitled to any royalties, as there is nothing on file w/JB stating this; only the Guardianship papers, and lease agreement exists. It “seems” to me the attorney was responsible for getting that information (death certificate, will, and info.), to JB, but it is what it is, I guess. Those tracs are separate from the tracs I am now being approached about in a NEW lease with S&A Properties that were inherited as well. Supposedly, there are 140+ who are mineral rights owners in this group; mainly distant relatives and land owners. Does this post make sense, now? I am currently getting copies of legal documents to forward to JB. This is mineral rights only.

Go to tylercountywv.com and find the tax and document inquiry link. You can search the documents. I am on the phone now or I would post the link. Do you know any of their names? Or the name of the company doing the leasing. It won’t be all that easy to find them by tax map and parcel number. If this were out west, maybe even Ohio, there is a better connection between tax description such as section and township and mineral ownership but not in WV.

Debra, I think my family and I may be part of the Tyler co, Ellsworth Dist. Muddy Creek lease, total of 58.5 acres. My great grandfather was Thorton Fenton Twyman, if I remember the lease, he sold land to the Weekley’s, reserving part of the royalty. I have posted a few times trying to find relatives or common lease owners. Do you think you may be one.

Middleburne

Such GREAT advice…thank you. So far, the lease folks my mom signed with (JB) have requested mom’s will, death certificate…the three heirs…myself, and 2 brothers. Have to provide the obvious information of course as far as personal data, and OF COURSE…socials. That’s my ONLY brick wall. My two brothers and I are NOT on speaking terms…and NOT by my choice. Does not affect anything, as they have already signed leases for their own interets, HOWEVER, I need those socials for them to be able to collect any royalties per my mom’s lease. Both share their own attorney, but she has YET to contact me. I may just go ahead and mail my end of things to JB, and mail their attorney a letter explaining what is needed. (sigh.) I know I will obtain everntually.

I was not clear if your mother were.getting any royalty payments for other tracts. Was she getting tax bills for these properties? If yes to either, there are things the assessor’s office can help with. Otherwise the companies should get you set up with the assessor for future tax (county property tax) bills.

I’m fairly certain Muddy Creek was my mom’s birth home site…where she grew up. It’s been YEARS since I have been there. Relatives in Sistersville, Melburn.

Deby, 3000.00 would be for signing bonus for 1 ac. 16percent is low for the area. 12.5 is the minimum by law. 140 owners is a lot of people. It would be very hard to get that many to be in agreement rather alone 4 or 5. You will sign separate leases anyway so, get the best terms for you situation. I do not know what percentage you own. The more you own and the location helps in making the best deal. On the lease from 2013. A copy of your mothers will will let the company know who the heirs are. Every time a change in heirs happens, the company needs to be provided with documents showing change. The attorney may or may not be on the same page so, your family will have to keep an eye on the situation. Nancy is on top of all of this leasing and she can answer most any question. She’s the best.

Thanks DT! I have dealt with many aspects of things. There are things the executor of an estate must do with the state of WV besides, as you said, notify the company. Call the Tyler county clerk and ask for the clerk who handles probate. He or she should be able to tell you the steps. DT is right about bonus and royalty %. It gets complicated.

You have to mess around some to figure it out. The index is not a simple one, there are multiple ones. For Wills, for Grantors (for deeds and leases, the one giving), for Grantees (for deeds and leases). Then the letter of the last name, then go to 0 or 0-01 etc and find the name, then see what page, then go to that page. Takes a little practice.

The 3000 DT mentioned is bonus, per your net mineral acre. Net mineral acre is the total acres in your tract times the fraction you own. I think Statoil is a decent company from what I have read. Probably you can find things on Mineralrightsforum about them. And it sounds like your plan to send info to their attorney and not have to get things from them is simpler. Each lease can be different from the next with multiple owners of the same tract.

By the way, I was able to get my percentage bumped up a percent…baby steps?