The new Forum Software

I agree the complaints are a little overboard. The question is what choice did the owners have but to change platforms? None. If that’s the case, I try to be patient with the changes.

By the way, the search feature in the upper right is a huge improvement. Gives you immediate results as you start typing and gives results in order of likely relevance, which the old site really didn’t do.

2 Likes

Louise, when you hit Reply and a text box comes up, you will see a line of icons across the top of the box. These icons offer various options. Clicking on the little happy face icon will bring up a selection of emojis. You can search for a specific emoji (there is a search box there). or you can scroll down the icons to find out what is available.I searched for “star” and it threw up a couple of choices that just happened to be gold, as I wanted. I clicked on one of them three times to give you three stars.

Good hunting!

1 Like

And the “advanced” search (using options" makes it even better!

2 Likes

Hey Guys,

To all of you who don’t know our new Administrator very well, his name is Jay Pfaffman and appears to be not only very knowledgeable and accomplished, but also a bit of a Wanderer.

He sent me the following message a few weeks ago:

"Hey, Charles, my name is Jay Pfaffman.

See https://www.literatecomputing.com/ and https://iliveinmyvan.com/ for more than you could possibly want to know about me."

Maybe it would help if we all knew a little better who we’re yelling at.

And look what I found: :star::star::star: !!!

1 Like

The site setting is called “sequential replies threshold”. It’s explanation is

This doesn’t keep you from posting, it just suggests that you’re talking to yourself. A common problem on many forums is that someone will ask a question, not get an answer, and keep replying to themselves to make the topic get more attention. Since this group doesn’t like to create new topics, you’ll need to just roll your eyes when you see it and post anyway.

The default is 2; I bumped it up to 3.

It’s often the case that people want an answer to a particular question and are better served by finding that topic than asking the question again. But it’s also often true that the software is wrong about whether the posts are similar.

Hmm. I’m not sure what that could have been, but it sounds like the first message did get posted after all.

Good one!

From a category page (like Reeves County, TX - Mineral Rights Forum) you can click the button at the top of the page. There is a keyboard shortcut, you can just type a c to start composing a new topic.

2 Likes

I knew how to reply and post on the old forum, but I don’t know how here. My last two attempts did not post. I actually have a question that I feel others know the answer to, if only I could post.

Sandy

That’s a serious problem that I’d like to fix. Are you trying to post on the forum or via email (like you did here?).

On the site to reply, you click the Reply button at the bottom of every post. To start a new topic, you can click the + New Topic button at is, as of a couple minutes ago, at the top of every page.

1 Like

I’m tired trying to figure this out, again tonight! Hate to disappoint anyone, but this site is extremely difficult to use! I’ve been on hundreds of different county websites, and each one is different, but this one would rate one of the most difficult websites to maneuver OR maybe, it’s just me!

It doesn’t print +New Topic on my display…just the plus sign…I had to click on the plus sign to see what that was about…that’s how I found how to add a new topic.

, Reeves county, Tx
:sunglasses:

2 Likes

Read your story about the VeeDub Westfalia…silly Rabbit, Trix are for Kids…and Tomorrow Free Beer…Tomorrow never comes!

, Reeves county, Tx :sunglasses::rofl::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

I’ll have a look. Thanks

Are you on mobile? There’s not enough room on mobile for the words, so you have to know that + means “add topic.”

1 Like

No, Mr. Faffman, I’m on a desktop computer at home, not mobile. Just the + is displayed.

, Reeves county, Tx
:sunglasses:

Is it possible to tweak things so we can sort chronologically replies from all county categories within a given state? … Similar to the “Latest” button currently existing, but that would be specific to replies for only New Mexico counties, or only Texas counties, or only Oklahoma counties, etc. In the Permian of New Mexico some replies can be relevant to both Lea and Eddy counties. And in the Permian of Texas there are at least half a dozen counties where information can sometimes overlap. It can be easy to forget to check each county for activity.

Kathy, Click on Home in upper left, and it should take you to a Latest thread of recent topic postings.

1 Like

We’re working on this. What you need to do is to “mute” the 720 categories you don’t care about.

Unfortunately, that’s rather untenable. The problem is to find a way that will let you mute what you do’nt want without also muting it for everyone.

I don’t know if this is browser-specific… but I don’t see a ‘Home (button) in upper left…’. Also, an earlier suggestion on a different ‘how to’ by Wade… supposedly in ‘upper right’ was not found… seems like more than a coincidence… Later – Buzz

1 Like

Hello Buzz…I think they(the Powers that B) consider the ‘Red, White, and Blue’ flag in the upper left corner as the home button.

Clint Liles

1 Like

I was on a desktop when I wrote that and don’t see it on the mobile version.

Clint – that ‘did it’… and to you Wade – Thanks – Later – Buzz PS - we’re getting there… great strides of late.

1 Like