Texas Mineral Interest Ownership?

Evidently my sister’s and I have Mineral Interest in Reeves Texas. How would we go about finding out if this is true or not. We know nothing about these Mineral Interest.

Thank you

You can search in the Reeves County Records using yours and your sister’s names. It sounds like it was probably inherited so you can search possible relative’s names as well and see if there are any documents that include their names.

You can also go to the State’s unclaimed property website to see if there are funds that were escheated by the oil companies in the past. Check using all of the potential names and try different spellings.

Sometimes there will be additional title work that needs to be filed of record in order for you to claim any funds/interest that may have been passed down.

Good luck!

1 Like

Thank you very much.

In case you don’t have it here is a link to the free site where you can do the search of Reeves County records Warmheartsland suggested.

https://reeves.tx.publicsearch.us/

If for some reason that link doesn’t work try this one and it will direct you that other site

https://www.reevescounty.org/departments/public-records

1 Like

You can search the public records on this website. This is an official Reeves County, Texas website. From my understanding, what you search on this website should be what you would find if you physically went to Reeves County and searched the physical records. If you’re interest is inherited from someone whose will was probated in Reeves County, you may need to contact the District Clerk to figure out the logistics of obtaining copies of the will(s). I assume your interest is inherited. You’ll have to start by verifying that the person you inherited from actually owns the Mineral Interest. Mineral Interest is different from Surface ownership. It has to be run from sovereignty, meaning from the date that the State of Texas granted the property to the first owner (patent), and brought forward to present. There are various sources on the internet about mineral interest and how to run it. You can look around on this forum, and you can also google how to run mineral title. If you’re unsure how to get started, or find that it’s too much to sort through on your own, you can look into hiring a landman. There are a ton of landmen, mostly based out of Midland, that have experience with this county. Good luck!

2 Likes

Awesomeness, Thank you very much, I’ll look into this. The only way I found out about our so said Mineral Interest was by a solicited phone call from Patch Energy LLC… They had way more information on me and my siblings than I was comfortable with. Once again, greatly appreciate the help. All the best, R

There is a lot of public information out there! And there are a lot of buyers out there that have access to that information. That is why minerals owners should get as informed as possible before making any decisions as to whether to sell or not.

1 Like

Hi M Barnes, Thank you very much. I totally agree, that’s what I’m trying to do now. Thanks again, R

R65, Texas taxes the individual Royalty Owners when their minerals and royalties are being produced. See if the people at the Reeves County Appraisal District will look in their Mineral Tax Rolls for any of your families’ names, including your parents and grand parents’ names. That may help you identify the properties involved. If the Appraisal District will not research their records, post the possible names here and I’ll research the Mineral Appraisal Rolls for you. DON’T SIGN OR EVEN VERBALLY AGREE TO ANY OFFER UNTIL YOU KNOW A WHOLE LOT MORE!!!

Hi Charles, Funny you should mention this today. Patch Energy just called me again earlier wanting to know if I received their information in the mail yet. I told him no, and before I do anything, I’ll have to do a little research. An that I would get back in touch with them after I found something/anything out. Thank you for reaching out with advice. Greatly appreciated, I/we need all the help we can get.

There have been a couple posts regarding Vertical Energy. They mentioned errors in descriptions. Be aware…Make sure that you heard or read correctly and check your records and clear any misconceptions up before proceeding.

Also, make sure that you do not have any pending royalties from any past or current wells. Anyone wanting to buy minerals intends to make a profit. Nothing wrong with that. You just need to know that they know something you don’t know so get the best information you can before making a decision. And NEVER ever hand over a signed lease or deed without getting paid by a direct deposit, not a bank draft.

1 Like

Hi M Barnes, Totally agree, thank you. I have decided to have an attorney look in to this for us. Thanks again, R

So I finally received the paperwork asking me to sign on the dotted line authorizing me to sell my so said Mineral Interest for a few hundred dollars. I’m no Einstein but not so fast Buck-O. I will be hiring an Attorney for advice very soon. If not this week definitely next week. In the meantime I was wondering if anyone here could give me an Idea on where to start another search. We’re trying to get an estimated value of these lots without digging too deep at the moment. Every time I start searching, I get directed to this forum. I tried Reeves County Appraisal District and didn’t get too far. If anyone could help out once again, it would be appreciated. My sisters and I have no Earthly clue to what we’re doing. The paperwork reads as follows: Lots 6 and 7 in Block 8 in Section 270 in the Toyah Valley Grape and Alfalfa Company Subdivisions 207, 255, 265, 271. Plus more information that follows. Thanks again for all the help and suggestions. R

Hey, R65! I apparently have a response to you from 2 days ago waiting for approval to be posted, but using your legal descriptions I will be happy to pull up what I can for you. You and your sister hang tight. If you have “more information that follows”, please add it here.

R65 - I am unable to locate your lands using the legal description you provided. Can you scan or take a photo of the legal description(s) and any maps Patch Energy sent you and post them here?

Good morning sir, Thank you for the response. This is all we have to go by. Lots 6 and 7 in Block 8 in Section 270 in the Toyah Valley Grape and Alfalfa Company Subdivision of Sections 207, 255, 265, 271 North-half (N/2) and the Southwest Quarter (SW/4) of 266, North-half (N/2) of 270 and the East 280 acres of the South-half (S/2) of 256, all in Block 13, H&GN RR Co. Survey, according to the plat of said subdivision recorded in volume 25, page 423 of the Records of Deeds and Maps for Reeves County, Texas Thanks again, R

That helped! Their legal description appears to be off a little, but this gets me to the immediate area. How much acreage are they saying you own? How much mineral or royalty interest?

I have an appointment this morning, but will take a look this afternoon.

Hi Charles, Thank you for the reply. Unfortunately, what I posted, is all I know. I will be in contact with a Board Certified Oil and Gas attorney this afternoon. Not that I can afford it but it sounds like it needs to be done. The People who want to purchase it offered $375.00. Just seems a little fishy to me. Thanks again, R

$375.00 is a joke unless your interest is so tiny as to not be worth the Stamp.

I was able to locate your lands close enough. Let me see what I can find for you.

Charles, I appreciate your contributions here. However, in all fairness, I don’t think it’s sound to advise someone that an offer is a “joke” without knowing what is being sold. Additionally, can you please share what what is “off” about the legal description? Is it transcribed verbatim from the source deed and I’m curious to know what you find to be incomplete about it.