Terry County, TX - Oil & Gas Discussion archives

LOCATION OF ROSS COTTON FARM IS SEC 120 BLOCK D11

REASON FOR CONCHO’S DELAY IN COMPLETING DRILLING OPERATIONS IS THEY LOST A MUD BIT ON FIRST ATTEMPT TO DRILL LATERAL CAUSING THEM TO HAVE TO START ALL OVER BY DRILLING A NEW LATERAL .THIS INFO IS ABOUT 2 WKS OLD SO THEY MAY HAVE HAD OTHER PROBLEMS SINCE THEN. RED WILLOW HAS JUST BEEN ISSUED A NEW PERMIT TO DRILL A SECOND WELL IN THE NE 1/4 OF THIS SECTION. LOOKS AS IF THE CONCHO WELL WILL BE A SUCCESS.

Thanks for the information Robert. That rig has been on location for so long that you can see it on Google Earth!

Robert, I"m a little surprised that Red Willow has permitted a vertical well in the same section (120) that Concho (who is working with Red Willow) is drilling a horizontal well. I would have expected that if the Concho horizontal well is successful that it would add another lateral to that. Any read on why this is happening?

Robert, I looked at the RRC site. It shows the new permit issued today for a Red Willow vertical well, Sowell 55 #1, in the SE 1/4 of Section 55. It does not show permits for any other recent wells in that section. What am I missing? I’m not sure which well you are referring to that had an 8 bbls 24 hour completion test.

SORRY MYRANDA…I AM WONDERING THE SAME THING…

THEY (RED WILLOW) RECEIVED A PERMIT TO DRILL IN NE 1/4 OF SEC 55

A NEW VERTICAL WELL AFTER ANOUNCING A WELL COMPLETED IN THE SE 1/4 OF SAME SEC THAT PRODUCED ONLY 8 BBLS IN A 24 HR COMPLETION TEST…MUST BE SOMETHING GOING ON THAT IS NOT YET REPORTED

Paige, Thanks for the data on “Ross Cotton Farms.” Seems to be a pivotal

reference point and I was not familiar with the location.

NEIL… THANKS FOR CATCHING THIS MISTAKE

I HAD CHECKED THE COMPLETIONS BEFORE THE NEW DRILLING PERMITS

KNEW THE COMPLETION INFO WAS IN THE SE/14 AND I GUESS I ASSUMED THE DRILLING PERMIT WAS IN THE NE1/4 SINCE IT WAS DESIGNATED BY THE OPERATOR AS A NEW WELL AND NOT A RE-ENTRY.

BE THAT AS IT MAY, THE COMPLETION WAS DRILLED TO APPROX 11,800 FT TD. THE NEW PERMIT CALLS FOR A DEPTH OF 12,200 FT

LOOKS AS IF THEY ARE GOING TO TEST ADDITIONAL ZONES WITH THE POSSIBILITY OF A DUAL COMPLETION. POSSIBILY THIS IS AS A RESULT OF INFORMATION DERIVED FROM THE “ROSS” WELL

IF THIS IS THE CASE, IT MAKES MORE SENSE THAN A NEW OFFSET WELL

SO FAR, THIS AREA HAS PRODUCED MORE (VALUABLE ?) INFORMATION THAN OIL.

COMPLETION INFO…07/30/2013

PERMIT INFO…08/01/2013

the rig on ross cotton farm is Precision Drilling rig 104 rated at 18000 ft go to the precision drilling rig fleet map rig 104 for info on rig

THE PERMIT FOR THE DRILLING OF THE ROSS COTTON FARM WELL WAS ISSUED FOR THE TD OF 15,000 FT. THE MIDNIGHT RIDER WHICH HAS NOT BEEN DRILLED WAS FOR A TD OF 17,000 FT

Thanks Robert. I did not know that they were permitting and planning to drill that deep. I’m not a geologist, so I thought that the formations pretty much ran from 9,000 to 12,000 ft deep. Costs a bunch of money to drill even deeper than that. Wonder what makes them think there may be pay zones that deep or if it is just kind of exploratory drilling?

THEY HAVE THE ADVANTAGE OF SEISMIC INFORMATION BUT IT IS STILL EXPLORATORY IN NATURE. I AM NOT A GEOLOGIST EITHER AND CANNOT SPEAK WITH ANY AUTHORITY ON THIS SUBJECT

Rated at 18,000 ft! Whoa. Does that possibly indicate that they are going to drill even deeper than the 11 to 12, 000 ft. that we have seen in the last couple of years in Terry County? dubose, are there any more oil bearing formations below 12,000 ft in this area?

The Total Depth (TD) is the “true vertical depth” plus the length of the lateral. You need to subtract off up to 5000 feet (for the lateral) from the TD to actually get the depth of the formation.

I believe the lateral on ross cotton is about 7500. what was the TD for BP in the gulf that formation runs from pampa texas to port author into the gulf according to old shell map

ANDERSON…THANKS FOR THE INFO. CAN YOU TELL ME THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEEN TD AND COMPLETION DEPTH ?

For a conventional vertical well, the completion depth is the depth of the producing formation, and can be very close to the TD, or possibly considerably less than the TD, depending on the well.

For a horizontal well, the completion depth plus the lateral length equals TD.

Mr dubose did you find out any info on the wellman property.

havent found anything else on wellman excep the same that the mineral right was being searched need to look at glo land search and check to see what info is there.the noble I is up some on production I think was what I was told.

RED WILLOW PRODUCTION, LLC well Noble 134 well. RRC 445-32356 which was already drilled. This is south of Ross well about 2 miles. anyone heard any news on it???

neal the ross hr ben drilling about last 130 days