Suddenly receiving county tax bills

I'm interested to know if any other Panola, Shelby, or other TX county mineral rights owners are now receiving letters with tax statements requesting payments of county taxes. We've never received these before, and I'm wondering what the story is. The statements have monthly tax fees listed and include references to "Senate Bill 18" and taxes "for a school for 2015 and 2014." Has there been some new legislation in TX that imposes new taxes on mineral owners? We no longer live in Texas. Hope to hear from anyone with information about these new tax statements, thanks for any insights anyone might have.

Mike, it sounds like you and your family probably sold the surface and retained the minerals and wells were drilled in 2013-14. When you own minerals, but no surface in Texas, you do not have to pay property taxes on the minerals if they are not in a producing unit. Once they are in a producing unit, you are charged property taxes. It has been that way for as long as I can remember. Kathy

I receive monthly royalties and do have to pay taxes each year.

Kathy, you're correct, the surface rights were sold by my great-grandfather many years ago, and he retained the mineral rights which we inherited. The wells in Panola have been producing (I believe) for

I'm having trouble posting here with my slow dial-up. This is what I meant to post:

Kathy, you're correct, the surface rights were sold by my great-grandfather many years ago. He retained the mineral rights which we inherited. The wells in Panola have been producing since before 2013 though. Not sure why we haven't received statements till now. Thanks for the replies, I guess I'll call the number on the statements to learn more.

Hi Michael, I think you are smart to contact the tax office. Most of the tax offices in East Texas are getting more and more aggressive about collecting taxes and placing tracts up for foreclosure. In our case, though, they have always been very helpful and easy to work with. Kathy