Special Commissioners Lease

I am a descendant of a deceased owner of oil and gas rights property in Ritchie Co WV. There has been a Special Commissioners oil and gas lease filed/recorded in Ritchie County Clerk Records indicating unknown Heir. There are 3 of these filed, one filed in 2014 and two in 2015.

The 7 year expiration date is fast approaching on the 2014 lease. I am being told if a heir does not come forward before the exp date, these will be forfeited. How do I go about filing information with the court to reflect that I am an heir and want the case reopened (without having to appear in person in court there in WV; I live in Illinois).

Interesting is that I currently have paperwork for 3 Division Orders signed in 2019 with Antero for mineral royalties in WV in both Doddridge & Ritchie County, but they apparently don’t go back in court records to reflect the heirs have been found on previous leases.

I’m in a very similar situation I too would appreciate guidance

Update; I was fortunate to make contact with John Whipkey, attorney at Block & Associates LLC in Pittsburg. An individual reached out to me after seeing my post and recommended I speak with Attorney John Whipkey.

It was the best phone call I have made regarding my Mineral rights and filing claim to the unknown heirs lease on file at the Ritchie County courts. Mr Whipkey was very helpful in directing me to an attorney to assist me in getting the petition filed in WV. He was very knowledgeable and personable. I felt very comfortable in dealing with him.

1 Like