South Bastrop County

Anyone willing to share information on any mineral leasing activity in South Bastrop County?

Not aware of any major leasing in this area. Eagle Ford section very thin and relatively non prospetive. May be some future actiivity related to shallow Taylor Sand potential if recent horizontal drillnig in that interval proves to be economic.

Thank you for the info. I have heard the same concerning the Eagle Ford in this area, but have never heard much about the Taylor Sand. Do you know of any maps or info concerning this formation? I've heard of a few people hitting oil in this area with just a water well. Don't know if there is any truth to it or not, but would like to know. Have a good one!

Przzz said:

Not aware of any major leasing in this area. Eagle Ford section very thin and relatively non prospetive. May be some future actiivity related to shallow Taylor Sand potential if recent horizontal drillnig in that interval proves to be economic.

Don't have any reports handy but if you google "Serbin Field" you should get some link to info on the main Taylor Sand field in area. Located in Bastrop Co and along the Lee County line. Field depth here is around 5000-5500'.

Not surprised to hear some people getting traces of oil in water wells. There is production from analagous shallow sand formations in Milam County as shallow as 300-350'

Not totallrthat is will

Baumbush said:

Thank you for the info. I have heard the same concerning the Eagle Ford in this area, but have never heard much about the Taylor Sand. Do you know of any maps or info concerning this formation? I've heard of a few people hitting oil in this area with just a water well. Don't know if there is any truth to it or not, but would like to know. Have a good one!

Przzz said:

Serbin Taylor sand field, Bastrop-Lee Counties, Texas
Ellis William G., 2002: Serbin Taylor sand field, Bastrop-Lee Counties, Texas. Bulletin of the South Texas Geological Society 43(4): 11-23
The Serbin Taylor sand field was discovered by Noble Producing Company on the Peters lease in November, 1985. As of this date, there are 251 wells that can be identified in some phase of drilling or production. The Serbin field produces oil and gas from low permeability sandstones of upper Cretaceous Taylor age. The sandstones pinch out updip to the west and northwest forming the trapping mechanism. The field is now 23 miles long and 4 miles wide at the widest point. Structure is not important to production in the field. Regional southeastward dip is faulted by rather insignificant up-to-the-coast faulting which affect production only when the sand is cut out of the well bore. This has happened in only one well in the field to date. The Serbin sands are high in clay content, Including kaolinite, chlorite and mixed layer expanding clays like illite. The effect of the mineralogy requires the sands to be fractured to produce at commercial rates. Present practices include gelled oil with 100,000 to 130,000 pounds of sand, oil being used to prevent damage to the formation. No water drive is present and only small amounts of water have been seen in the main part of the field. There is a well on the eastern edge of the field that is reported to be making about 100 barrels of water a month, but there is no hard proven oil-water contact in the field to date. The gas that is being produced is being sold rather than re-injected at the present time. Since this is primarily a gas expansion drive reservoir, much of the otherwise producible oil will be left in the ground as this practice continues. Of the 112 wells that have been completed to date, the majority have been completed as flowing wells averaging between 29 and 192 barrels of oil per day. It is anticipated that these wells will level off at approximately 2535 BOPD and 25-35 MCFPD and maintain a relatively stable production decline. All of the wells ultimately make a little water, but it is not an operational problem. The updip wells to the west and northwest will be expected to have a higher gas-oil ratio than the wells in the main part of the field to the east.

Very nice article on this field. thanks Przzz for the information. the Taylor lies above the Austin chalk. above it is the Navarro then Midway, above those the Wilcox and Carrizo. I think the Carrizo is the surface outcrop in that area. Taylor, Navarro and Midway are generally muddy ( shales) but there are notable exceptions where there are sand bodies. Ancient shorelines ect. The La Vernia field in Guadalupe & Wilson county is Navarro. The Poth sands are at the top of the Midway and have notable fields to the north (Milam county I think) up and down the ancient shorelines there are various fields in these rock formations. To the west the rocks are shallower, to the east they dip down deeper. There are lots of very interesting small sands that come and go along the trend of the ancient sea shore. Lots of things worth chasing beside the Eagle Ford

I agree, a very good informative article, thanks Przzz, and also big thanks to Mr. Grubbs for his knowledge on these other formations. Hopefully it proves to be productive soon in this area also! I'm guessing maybe the deeper the rock formations go, maybe the possibility of more production goes up? Again appreciate the info!

leasing by Tracker in the area for Crimson or enervest. Drilling or permitted two wells in Fayette county called wildcats. Did not lease the Eagleford.

Thanks for the reply pdcall and appreciate the info. I hope those wells are/will be gushers!!! I was wondering about those wells as I saw the permits on the RRC site. Do you know if they are leasing around the Rosanky area?

Just around Jeddo you can call Tracker in Ft Worth and ask about the South Texas canon prospect 713-381-7917. They told me that they were leasing 100,000 acres in the Gonzales ,Caldwell, Bastrop, Fayette county area. I found that they have signed leases but need to sign a lot more to reach the 100,000 number. It may be smoke but there is some fire there some where.

Tracker signed up and paid for several leases in and around Jeddo (where Bastrop County, Fayette County, and Gonzales County meet). Total of several hundred acres amongst 5 or 6 property owners. Apparently paid $300 per acre for 3 years.

pdcall said:

Just around Jeddo you can call Tracker in Ft Worth and ask about the South Texas canon prospect 713-381-7917. They told me that they were leasing 100,000 acres in the Gonzales ,Caldwell, Bastrop, Fayette county area. I found that they have signed leases but need to sign a lot more to reach the 100,000 number. It may be smoke but there is some fire there some where.

you might want to read the Schulenberg Sticker Sep 4. It appears that Tracker was working for Crimson a divison of Contango . They claim to have 40,000 acres leased. They are suppose to have two rigs working the area and plans to drill 200 locations. That is 1 well per 200 acres. It sounds like a lotof sm

Does anyone have any information of leasing north and northwest of Cistern? Also, does anyone have the status on the wells that were permitted for drilling between Cistern and Waelder a couple of months ago? Thanks in advance for the info.

I have mineral rights northeast of Smithville, near CR 2104 and CR 194. Cannot find if any production activity near here.

Checked DrillingInfo.com - nothing new in the NE Smithville area for several years. Attachment shows this area - all the green and red dots are historical O&G producing wells. The ones nearest Smithville area Austin Chalk and Buda - very marginal wells. The large cluster of wells near the Lee / Bastrop county line is shallow production (Serbin Field). This field is on its last legs right now. This area has been tried for Eagle Ford but that section here is very skinny and just doesn't work economically.

You can find similar maps on the Tx RRC site in the GIS mapping section.

2561-NESmithvilleArea.pdf (560 KB)

Thank you. I really appreciate the info. My rights are in the Charles Edwards survey, but don't know exactly where, need to go to the Appraisal District and find out. Lots of green dots in the northern part of Edwards though.

I found the Edwards survey (A30). Attached map is a zoom of this survey area / the green dots are the active wells here. Best two are making 12 to 14 BOPD / short horizontals targeting the Navarro / Serbin Sand around 3500'. All the other wells that are active are making less than 1 BO per day.

These short laterals have made about 45 to 55 MBO each since they were completed - based on production profile, these are basically uneconomic wells (this shallow horizontal effort has been abandoned by operators in this area based on economic reasons as noted above).

The limits of this producing area (Serbin Field) is tied to the presence of the target sand. The sand disappears or gets ultra thin along the edges.

You can find a lot of info on this area as to wells and production on the Tx RRC site. Suggest you go to the GIS map and zoom on this area for info.

Hope you can figure out where your minerals area.

2560-EdwardsA30production.pdf (669 KB)

Thanks for the info.

I looked at the GIS map, as you suggested, and saw the current and abandoned wells, as well as the permitted locations.

How can I find out how much each current well is producing? I have several API numbers, but do not know where to look for the info.

Suggest you go to this link on the Tx RRC and look under "production queries". You can search under lease name or field or operator - just have to look up the code for each (follow the prompts).

An issue with oil production is that multiple wells in the same lease are lumped together as to production. e.g. if there are 6 wells on the "Jones Lease", the production will be the total of all six wells - not individual well break outs (only the operator has this info). Hope this helps.

http://www.rrc.state.tx.us/about-us/resource-center/research/online-research-queries/

Thanks.

Cannot search by API numbers?