Sign a lease with producing well existing?

I signed my lease with Continental Resources 8/10/2007. I an part of a large pool of leases. The oil well was producing oil and gas since 5/01/2007.Continental never told me about the existing well, if this normal practice? Thanks

I am a brand new member and very thankfull for any response.

This lease is in N.D. Dunn co.

James, if you want to state the section, township and range someone could take a look and help you with your question better. I take it from what you wrote the well you referred to is on the tract where your minerals are, or that spacing unit, and that you have not received any royalties?

Tim I have not received any royalties, the oil and gas rights were my father’s and I am in the process of getting them in my name. They offer to sent a check to the estate of my father ,but it is closed. The well is Medicine hole 14-27H. 69000 barrels to date

James, it sounds like the royalties are in suspense and It is normal for an operator to hold in suspense the royalties of either a deceased royalty owner or one that can not be located until someone provides legal proof of ownership. Many companies will allow an affidavit of heirship but others require the estate to be probated or a quiet title be done.

Tim I understand what has to be done to change the lease ownership. But my original question still is unanswered. Shouldn’t the oil Co.have told me about the existing well. Section27 Township 146 Range 96. My search shows 2 oil wells. One coming off confidental list 11/14/2010.

If Continental Resources had you sign a lease back in 2007 they should have made you aware of what needed to be done at that time. You were not the legal owner though so the responsibility is yours to take care of title work and notify them of any changes. When royalties were being paid they were wrong not to have contacted you back and no it is not normal. Most companies have people who work only to clear up these title issues and will help you so that there is no one in suspense. A lot of companies do not care about the mineral owners at all though and once you have signed a lease they feel they are now the owners and they don’t have to answer to you anymore, they feel everything is your responsibility. Continental Resources is bad about that from my experience.

Tim Metz said:
If Continental Resources had you sign a lease back in 2007 they should have made you aware of what needed to be done at that time. You were not the legal owner though so the responsibility is yours to take care of title work and notify them of any changes. When royalties were being paid they were wrong not to have contacted you back and no it is not normal. Most companies have people who work only to clear up these title issues and will help you so that there is no one in suspense. A lot of companies do not care about the mineral owners at all though and once you have signed a lease they feel they are now the owners and they don't have to answer to you anymore, they feel everything is your responsibility. Continental Resources is bad about that from my experience.

I too have mineral rights in ND and Continental does not return my phone calls or emails. I have jumped through all their hoops, providing death certificates, wills, etc. on numerous occassions. They remind me of out right crooks.

D

Dawn Ellis said:

I too have mineral rights in ND and Continental does not return my phone calls or emails. I have jumped through all their hoops, providing death certificates, wills, etc. on numerous occassions. They remind me of out right crooks.

Dawn Thanks for your reply. I feel your pain,my sister and I have just started our legal quest for mineral right change of ownership. From our father to us. Continental is holding all the money in suspence. We have other mineral rights in ND Dunn co,that will never be leased to Continental.

What things have you done? They told me over two months ago (when I actually talked to a ‘human’ there at their offices in OK) that my ‘pay status’ was suspend because they needed my mother’s death certificate. I immediately fed exed the original certified death certificate and since then, they won’t return my weekly calls, supervisory calls, or emails. Ever tho their website touts that they return calls within 24 hours. Horse hocky! I’m an thinking about hiring an attorney, but don’t know if it’s worth it. I’m beginning to realize after talking with a few people like you, that they have no intention of paying and are dragging this out until I"M DEAD. Reminds me of the movie, ‘There Will be Blood.’ Looks like not much has changed since the oil crooks of the early days. I wonder if there is someone out there that holds them accountable?

We have a North Dakota Attorney, We have 3 producing wells and feel the cost is justified

Is your attorney making any headway?

Just started the process.

I just happened to find this web site when I googled "Continental Resources NOT paying mineral rights". I am glad I found it and hopefully can be of some help to you. I googled this because I was too pissed off to sleep! It is 3:00 AM in the morning here in Scottsdale Arizona and I am trying to sleep and can't because of the stress caused by these people. That aside, let me try to help you as best as I can. I also have a well in the neighboring County McKenzie County.

1.) Continental Resources is THE MOST PROFITABLE COMPANY IN AMERICA! Don't take my word for it, verify this yourself.

2.) Continental Resources doesn't like to pay because they make their money on hedging oil and gold!

3.) Continental Resources is corrupt, they have a MASSIVE lobbying budget for Republicans in nearly every State.

4.) Continental Resources more or less owns the State of North Dakota and its State and Federal Representatives.

5.) Continental Resources MUST pay by law 150 days AFTER they start selling YOUR oil or gas.....

6.) IF Continental Resources does not pay after 150 days, then by State Law (ND anyway), they MUST pay you 18% Interest on any unpaid balance.

7.) Continental Resources NEVER pays anyone after 150 days.....

8.) To legally get your 18% interest you MUST FIRST send them a Notarized Letter demanding your 18% interest. They will not just send it to you....

9.) To get paid anything you must FIRST sign your Division Order and send it in.

10.) Continental Resources WILL NOT RETURN CALLS OR PAY YOU UNLESS YOU RAISE THE ROOF.

I am sorry to come of so strong, but I actually feel sorry for you. These people owe me money and I have done everything I am supposed to legally, but the LATEST EXCUSE is that they are behind because they are under staffed!!!!!!!!!!!

They are behind because they are using your money and mine to hedge on Oil and Gold. The DAILY return they can get doing this if they have large sums of money are astounding!!! It is worth it for them to NOT PAY YOU AND I and pay any fines, interest, or attorneys (They have A LOT) to hold you at bay as long as they can to use as much money of their mineral holders as possible. The daily return they get on hedging these items is so monumentally greater than all of the fees and interest that they MIGHT have to pay us, that it is WELL WORTH the hassle. THIS IS WHY THEY ARE THE MOST PROFITABLE COMPANY IN AMERICA!

They are bad, bad, bad, people, and unfortunately there is nothing you can LEGALLY really do about it. Your only prayer is if you happen to be an Attorney or very wealthy yourself and can make their plans difficult. If you raise enough hell you MIGHT have a 50/50 chance. Depending on where you live I would contact your local Congressman and hire an Attorney in North Dakota. You might as well file suit now if you ever want to see what is rightfully owed to you and file a complaint with your local congressional rep and pray, pray, pray that they are not already on the take. If you have a Democrat in your area then your odds just got SLIGHTLY better. You will learn if you hire an attorney that you are certainly not alone....

I truly wish you the very best and wish that I had better news for both of us.

All the best,

Shawn

You mean to tell me that you believe that Continental Resources is more profitable than WalMart and ExxonMobile?

ExxonMobile had earnings of $39.5 Billion last year, per Fortune Magazine, and they finished 2nd.

Shawn CJ Kling said:

I just happened to find this web site when I googled "Continental Resources NOT paying mineral rights". I am glad I found it and hopefully can be of some help to you. I googled this because I was too pissed off to sleep! It is 3:00 AM in the morning here in Scottsdale Arizona and I am trying to sleep and can't because of the stress caused by these people. That aside, let me try to help you as best as I can. I also have a well in the neighboring County McKenzie County.

1.) Continental Resources is THE MOST PROFITABLE COMPANY IN AMERICA! Don't take my word for it, verify this yourself.

2.) Continental Resources doesn't like to pay because they make their money on hedging oil and gold!

3.) Continental Resources is corrupt, they have a MASSIVE lobbying budget for Republicans in nearly every State.

4.) Continental Resources more or less owns the State of North Dakota and its State and Federal Representatives.

Yeah, thats is what I have been told by more than 1 person familiar with the company. I have put out a couple of emails to these folks to get some more forensic information to confirm this for you. I also found this difficult to swallow when I heard it for the same reasons you mentioned. Once I get it I will drop you a message with whatever evidence is given me. I also have some interesting information coming that I will be happy to share with you when I get it, regarding a couple of the major media groups picking up on the story. I have some very close personal friends that are Senior Executives in this industry, one is at Fox and the other is at ABC. I do know that I am far from the first to complain about this and apparently the actual number of people who are either late to be paid or have never been paid is huge! This is so new right now to me that the details are still a little cloudy and that is what I am working on. I guess this all started coming to light some time ago when cable TV started filming the TV series "Boomtown" that is supposed to be airing late this month. Anyway, I gotta run for now but I will keep you in the loop if you wish. The more facts, and awareness of this issue is only a good thing.

All the best,

Shawn

Buddy Cotten said:

You mean to tell me that you believe that Continental Resources is more profitable than WalMart and ExxonMobile?

ExxonMobile had earnings of $39.5 Billion last year, per Fortune Magazine, and they finished 2nd.

Buddy Cotten

www.cottenoilproperties.com

\Shawn CJ Kling said:

I find it hard to believe when their 2009 sales were less than a billion dollars (not profit, sales) and they only have 408 employees.

Shawn CJ Kling said:

Yeah, thats is what I have been told by more than 1 person familiar with the company. I have put out a couple of emails to these folks to get some more forensic information to confirm this for you. I also found this difficult to swallow when I heard it for the same reasons you mentioned. Once I get it I will drop you a message with whatever evidence is given me. I also have some interesting information coming that I will be happy to share with you when I get it, regarding a couple of the major media groups picking up on the story. I have some very close personal friends that are Senior Executives in this industry, one is at Fox and the other is at ABC. I do know that I am far from the first to complain about this and apparently the actual number of people who are either late to be paid or have never been paid is huge! This is so new right now to me that the details are still a little cloudy and that is what I am working on. I guess this all started coming to light some time ago when cable TV started filming the TV series "Boomtown" that is supposed to be airing late this month. Anyway, I gotta run for now but I will keep you in the loop if you wish. The more facts, and awareness of this issue is only a good thing.

All the best,

Shawn

Buddy Cotten said:

Buddy Cotten

www.cottenoilproperties.com

\Shawn CJ Kling said:

Well said, Mr. Kling. Ironically within days after my initial post to this site, I got a measly $52 check. I’ve thought about going to Enid and parking my butt in their office until they see me and explain how they arrived at the decimal interest they just seemed to pull out of their ass! But, it’s not worth the hassle, as I am neither wealthy, nor an attorney.

Shawn CJ Kling said:

5.) Continental Resources MUST pay by law 150 days AFTER they start selling YOUR oil or gas.....

6.) IF Continental Resources does not pay after 150 days, then by State Law (ND anyway), they MUST pay you 18% Interest on any unpaid balance.

8.) To legally get your 18% interest you MUST FIRST send them a Notarized Letter demanding your 18% interest. They will not just send it to you....

9.) To get paid anything you must FIRST sign your Division Order and send it in.

10.) Continental Resources WILL NOT RETURN CALLS OR PAY YOU UNLESS YOU RAISE THE ROOF.

I am sorry to come of so strong, but I actually feel sorry for you. These people owe me money and I have done everything I am supposed to legally, but the LATEST EXCUSE is that they are behind because they are under staffed!!!!!!!!!!!

They are behind because they are using your money and mine to hedge on Oil and Gold. The DAILY return they can get doing this if they have large sums of money are astounding!!! It is worth it for them to NOT PAY YOU AND I and pay any fines, interest, or attorneys (They have A LOT) to hold you at bay as long as they can to use as much money of their mineral holders as possible. The daily return they get on hedging these items is so monumentally greater than all of the fees and interest that they MIGHT have to pay us, that it is WELL WORTH the hassle. THIS IS WHY THEY ARE THE MOST PROFITABLE COMPANY IN AMERICA!

They are bad, bad, bad, people, and unfortunately there is nothing you can LEGALLY really do about it. Your only prayer is if you happen to be an Attorney or very wealthy yourself and can make their plans difficult. If you raise enough hell you MIGHT have a 50/50 chance. Depending on where you live I would contact your local Congressman and hire an Attorney in North Dakota. You might as well file suit now if you ever want to see what is rightfully owed to you and file a complaint with your local congressional rep and pray, pray, pray that they are not already on the take. If you have a Democrat in your area then your odds just got SLIGHTLY better. You will learn if you hire an attorney that you are certainly not alone....

All the best,

Shawn

Thanks Dawn, I am sorry that the check was not what you expected, but hey your doing better than us! They owe me a lot more than what they paid you and I haven't seen a cent. I also thought I would update both you and Buddy Cotten that I checked back with my sources on a few of the facts that were given to me for backup, per my promise to Buddy. What I found out was that Buddy was correct when he challenged the fact that Continental Resources was the most profitable company in America. What my guys told me is that although they are extremely profitable, that what they actually said was that the companies CEO & Founder is the wealthiest oilman or rather "Wildcatter" in the United States. I copied the article they provided to me as proof below. So there it is! I stand corrected, thanks Buddy for bringing that to my attention. My sources in the media however have promised to provide me with any new details they learn about this great mystery of folks not getting paid, and assured me that there was fire where there was smoke. They indicated that their own independent research so far indicated that the number of people awaiting their Division Order is alarmingly high, and the number of those that have all of their documentation properly filled and awaiting payment is NOT high so far, but more research is being conducted to confirm this. What bothers me in my situation is that I / we have a contractual agreement and they have broken it! I have selected a very reputable law firm to handle this for me today and I expect to have this resolved according to my Attorney. The Firm feels that Continental is clearly in Breach and that this is not unusual for them, they assured me that my case is as good as one can get and that the ramifications financially for Continental are far more significant than what I previously thought. Anyway, I wish you the best and if I can be of any further help to you let me know and I can see about getting you in front of the right folks. The article on Mr. Hamm is below;

Published December 03 2010

Richest Oilman In The Country Visits UND

Harold Hamm is the founder and CEO of ContinentalResources and owns more oil and gas than any other person in the United States.

By: Lezlie Johnson,WDAZ

From pumping gas to owning it, a billionaire from Oklahoma shared his story with students at UND today.

Harold Hammis the founder and CEO of Continental Resources and owns more oil and gas thanany other person in the United States.

"Our industry is a generous industry. We go out and spend millions of dollars forsomething and share it with everybody else. That's one of the reasons I like it." Hamm said.

Billionaire Harold Hamm started out pumping gas at a service station and is now the CEO of Continental Resources Incorporated. Today the wealthiest oilman in the U.S.visited UND. Hamm says the oil boom in North Dakota, provides many job opportunities.

"There was an estimation early of some 9-thousand jobs, that number increased to12-thousand. I've heard recent numbers as high as 20-thousand jobs that's needed up here in the oil and gas industry." Hamm said.

Hamm ownsoil in the Bakken in the Western part of the state where estimates of reserves have more than doubled.

"It's provided a wonderful resource for North Dakota and our country, allowing us tocut down on the amount of imports, oil imported to America."

Hamm shared his story with UND students today...hoping to inspire and help those with the same dreams.

"He used the example of crawling out to the end of a branch to get the fruit,sometimes the branch breaks, you fall off. He was very engaging with ourstudents.: UND president Robert Kelley said.

The billionaire may live in Oklahoma, but frequently visits North Dakota where someof his success started.

PreviousNext
All the best - Shawn

You may want to look up the definitions of libel and corporate defamation. Their lawyers may very well be busy with a new legal matter after reading your post.

FYI, whether or not relevant to your situation, you failed to note that under ND law, interest is not required to be paid if delays are attributable to title problems.

Shawn CJ Kling said:

All the best,

Shawn