SIERRA 1-32-29 WXH Section 32 and 29 4N 3W

I could not get production out of the OCC. May not have been reported to them yet. I just tried the OTC tax site again and it looks like it is down. Luckily, I still had it up on my screen from this morning. Will take screen shots. Sierra partial production from tax site.docx (614.7 KB)

You are not the nut this time!

I did get it to come up but don’t really understand the numbers as to how much it is making. Looks like to me it’s mainly a gas well??? When hubby gets here maybe he can explain it to me.

Thanks so much M…We’re not good at reading these reports but it doesn’t look like that good of a well to us. Is that what you’re thinking? Well, anyway it’s more than we had before. lol

Looks like a gas well with condensate. I figure any well that I get royalties on is better than nothing! They placed that well so that they could drill more if the economics are right, so I tend to think of the whole section drainage, not just one well. Generally better if they drill any new wells within a year of the parent well because of the potential pressure decline.

1 Like

Thanks M_ for that information! We were thinking it looked like mainly gas but it’s listed as an oil well. Didn’t know that about the gas pressure being more beneficial with other wells within one year but I don’t believe with the prices for the product being down so much the company will drill any more any time soon… It’s already been over a year since this one started producing. Maybe if Continental buys out Casillas production they will want to drill more later. Just thankful for anything we get!

I was just wondering if the Seismograph now days shows whether the product down there is oil or gas. I know they set some big tanks before they completed this well so I figured they were expecting a lot of oil not gas. Just curious.

Linda: I preface with I am neither a geologist nor seismologist, but I have lots of practical experience with both. Seismographs can be used with a certain degree of accuracy in defining the top and bottom of the various formations, and such, give an indication that the depositional environment is good for hydrocarbons. Seismographs do a good job of defining reservoir parameters and that is why they are used quite efficiently for shale formations. They are foul able and lots are dry holes are drilled using them as is the same with geology. So no, by themselves they can’t predict oil vs gas. Always good to remember the best tool in the geologist & seismologist bag of tools is a pencil with a good eraser.

Todd…thanks…gotcha!

There are usually 3-4 large tanks to collect the water used to frack the formation, and usually two tanks for oil (one main one, one back-up) for new wells even if they’re primarily gas. The water comes in fast up front so you need lots of tanks to hold the large volumes. Then they’ll usually remove some as they’re no longer needed.

In this part of the world usually seismic is used to see how the reservoir is moving and changing below the surface so the well is able to follow the reservoir as they steer while drilling. Older vertical wells are usually used to look see what the qualities of the reservoir are by logging properties of the rock up the well-bore (“well logs”), like if it’s gas or oil, how much water is in there with it, and how good the reservoir rock is (how porous, etc.).

Looks like where this well is the reservoir is quickly transitioning from oil to gas within a 5 mile span (in the same reservoir; for this reservoir, west = gas, east = oil). I’m sure they had an idea what it could be, but didn’t know exactly where the boundaries were.

In some special cases, the seismic offshore can indicate gas, but I am not as familiar with the shale plays. Thinking it might not due to the density. Any geophysicists out there in the forum?

Was wondering if anyone has gotten their first check on the Sierra well??? The Casillas man told me to expect it the first week in June since they would be sent out at the last of the month.

IDK, but I am having a hard time getting somebody to answer an email or a phone call up there.

Well, another postponement of the checks on the Sierra well according to the people with Casillas today. When I spoke with them last the man told me the checks were probably going out the last of May and we would probably get ours the first week in June. Today I called again because we didn’t receive payment. Now they are saying it wasn’t approved (not the word they used) for payment until June 6. The phone number I reached said they were the land people and they were now taking all calls made to either of Casillas offices (in OKC and Tulsa). They said they had nothing in their paperwork showing that I had sent 2 registered letters to their offices asking for our 12% interest for late payment. The man I talked to didn’t even know that was a law in Oklahoma! (He should be on the forum…lol) Anyway he and the two women I talked to said I could now email them a letter requesting the interest and they gave me their email address. So I figure that means the interest may not come with the check for the money in suspense the first week in July (which is the new projection for our first check). Just thought some of you might like to know about the delay.

I am working with them now on my moms interest. This Land Information Services is working with me. They had my mothers address down as living in Indianapolis ! She has never lived there. I am not sure how they dreamed that up. So , I have to fill out a change of address form. I have to have the old Indy address to fill it out, and I am not sure they are going to give that to me ! That is all we have to do to get a Division order.

Do you know what the spacing is on this well? I don’t have the paperwork here. I could not remember if it is 640 or 1280?

Order 683859 says 640 acres (Case 201803995-T)

A relative told someone I know that they had “Capped this well”. I don’t know whether he means they have just shut it in until the prices rise or what??? Anyone know? Also heard that another man we know had told Casillas if they didn’t get him a check on this well he was going to get an attorney and sue them. They sent him a check.

1 Like

Thanks. I think I finally have them sending a division order to my mother. I will have to double check the decimal when it gets here.

If an engineer/field hand told me a company “capped” a well, I’d interpret it to mean the well was abandoned, at least for 6+ months if not permanently.

If anyone ELSE told me that phrase…I’d put a wide range of results on it, from a data issue all the way to fully plugged & abandoned. It could even mean they’re just assuming it’s “capped” (whatever they think that means) because of missing production numbers.

Even engineer to engineer, shut-in/abandonment terminology is the most inconsistent I’ve come across in the industry. Even within one asset group in a small company we had to custom-make labeled diagrams (“shut-in”, “inactive”, “surface TA”, “zonal abandonment”, “downhole TA”, “p&a”, etc) and distribute to everyone just to make sure we were all on the same page.

Side note: “capped” is not official/textbook terminology, which is also why it’s used inconsistently.

1 Like

Yes, normally I would think of the term capped as meaning plugged but I don’t believe they have had time to do that and no one has seen a rig out there to do that to my knowledge.