Shell Oil

I read that Shell recently bought a lot of the mineral rights formerly owned by Chesapeake in the Permian Basin. My understanding is that they also own quite a bit in Lynn County as well.

I have mineral rights in both Lynn and Dawson Counties and wondered if anyone had any basic knowledge of their plans for the Lynn/Dawson county areas.

I went to the NARO Texas convention in San Antonio in June and I spoke with folks who are familiar with that area and according to what I heard, the plans are for there to be at least 1200 wells drilled in the next 20 years in the Dawson/Lynn/Terry area. I have heard that the leasing has slowed down but will pick back up again at years end or the first quarter of 2013.

Thanks for the good information. I noticed that Shell has apparently not been applying for drilling permits per the Texas RRC data base. I was curious if they were doing a lot of leasing and then planned to just hold onto the leases and not drill.
M Klingman said:

I went to the NARO Texas convention in San Antonio in June and I spoke with folks who are familiar with that area and according to what I heard, the plans are for there to be at least 1200 wells drilled in the next 20 years in the Dawson/Lynn/Terry area. I have heard that the leasing has slowed down but will pick back up again at years end or the first quarter of 2013.

this info fits and is some of the same that i have been hearing will be something to watch in 2013

It makes a little more sense now. I've been researching rrc new drill permits and Lynn county has 0 in almost 2 months, and every county circling us has many new drills per month. I thought surely Lynn is not one big dry hole. the new Cartwright well of fm 213 has pumped 73,000 barrels in 3 months so I figured I'd be seeing all sorts of new apps to drill with an ip like that. Maybe Shell has most of Lynn county under lease, and are waiting until they have all their desired leases leased before they choose where to drill. I wouldn'think they would wait 2 more years to start, then they's have to renew most of the leases.

Thanks, sounds reasonable. The Texas RRC data base does not show much going on for Shell in area 8A as far as approved permits and permits pending.

Josh Hatfield said:

It makes a little more sense now. I've been researching rrc new drill permits and Lynn county has 0 in almost 2 months, and every county circling us has many new drills per month. I thought surely Lynn is not one big dry hole. the new Cartwright well of fm 213 has pumped 73,000 barrels in 3 months so I figured I'd be seeing all sorts of new apps to drill with an ip like that. Maybe Shell has most of Lynn county under lease, and are waiting until they have all their desired leases leased before they choose where to drill. I wouldn'think they would wait 2 more years to start, then they's have to renew most of the leases.