Received DO-what next?

Hello, What happens next after you receive, review, sign and return your DO? What information does my decimal interest tell me? Can I use it in a formula even if I do not know anything else as far as number of tracts involved? I do see the production listed for this Owens 3H…do I include production from 1H and 2H as well in my formula? Also, why does my DO list all 3 Legs/wells (?) of a unit if my parcel is only included in one leg…as In Owens 3H. MY DO list Property name as Owens Unit 1H 2H and 3H. Confusing to me.

Thank you for any advice and info.

Your decimal interest is the percentage you will receive from the total production of any wells running through the UNIT. If there are three wells drilled in a UNIT, then you should receive that percentage of the total production of all three wells. You need to know the size of the unit and the size and interest you have in your parcel in that Unit to calculate the percentage. There may be only part of your parcel which lies within the UNIT, so you need to know how much as well. You can get most of this online and then plug it into the formula.

1 Like

Thank you Jim. What sights would if find "the size of the UNIT and the size and interest you have in your parcel in that Unit to calculate the percentage._ ? I know that only a small portion of our net mineral acre is lies with the unit. Does the Property number on the DO sheet help me with finding out any of that info? Its a set of 3 different numbers for the Property number. Thank you again for anyone here offering advice…i so do appreciate it.

If the DO doesn’t tell you the amount of your acreage. Than, try to look up the Division of Pooling in the County’s Courthouse website among the deeds. It’s usually filed under the name of the horizontal unit. It will least all the royalty owners and have a plat at the end that tells the total acreage in the pool.

1 Like

Julie,

Additionally, if you call the production company and request a Declaration of Pooling for your unit(s) And a fractional breakdown, they will usually comply with your request. Depending on the production company, they may only give you the Book & Page numbers of the recording in the County Courthouse, but most are fairly friendly. I forewarn you though, it may take 5 - 10 days to receive a response from the production company, please bear with them.

With exception of one company, most have been extremely helpful to me.

1 Like

Also, you could go to this site: CSSI and click on Tyler. Put Antero or whatever the name of your driller is in the namespace to the left. When all the documents show, in the top right empty box above the document description colomun, type dec and hit enter. it will pull up all declaration of poolings for that company. Pick your Unit and then play around with the different options to get your Units full report. Easy to figure out once you are up there.

1 Like

So helpful thank you!!

All good suggestions. Here WV Property Viewer is a link to a site that can show where a property is if you have what I think Julie is referring to: the 3 numbers. First number would be district. Choose “select a county” under the search by parcel selection. Then select “parcel number” under “select search type”. Then select the district. If you have the 3 numbers, use the first number. If you have the district name, look at the list and select your district. Then you have “map”, “parcel number” and “suffix”. If you have a decimal after the 3rd number, the number after the decimal is the suffix. If not, you do not need to enter anything there. Very useful tool.

2 Likes

However, the map won’t help with the division order. It is important to make sure that the company has the numbers correct and that the division order does not say something that changes the lease. Here is a link Model Division order from the NADOA for a basic division order from the National Assn of Division Order Analysts which shows what should be on one.

1 Like

Nancy. The listing on the map (Unit Lease Information–bottom left) should give them the total acreage in the Unit and then is broken down showing THEIR acreage in the Unit, both of which must be used to plug into the formula to find the percentage. You are correct. The map doesn’t help, but the information on the page with the map should. However, not all maps pages are created equal. Look at my Robert Lee Unit in Tyler’s DoP. Jay says that the DO is only really used when you contest your amount and they produce the DO showing that you agreed to the percentage. Someone said the law has changed and DO are required to be signed, but I have found nothing on that yet. I have the Robert Lee Unit DO sitting here unsigned and have been getting my royalties.

1 Like

Sorry. Under Antero.

1 Like

so I’ve been going through the CSSI website above, a bit confusing for me. My interest is only in Owens 3H (as far as I know). The only UNIT i see listed here for Owens is OWENS…no 1H, 2H or 3H. What does this mean? Also , what does this property number mean on DO?

property number: 11588.1, 11589.1, 11590.1

About the Owens unit, if you go to the Office of Oil and Gas website for permits Permit search and put in :“Owens” in the well number and select Tyler as the county, you will find that there are some API numbers and info on Owens 1, 2 and 3. Owens 3 is 4709502326 (Owens 1 is 4709502366, Owens 2 is 4709502367) If you take the numbers after the first “47” and put it in this website Office of Oil and Gas map search under “attribute search” you will see a lot of lines going north and south. These would be the wells on the wellpad. You find that the 3 Owens wells go north. Next stop is the Downloads site from the WV Geological survey. and select Tyler then scroll down until you find 4709502326 and see if you can find your tract in that plat. Then compare it with the plat in the declaration of pooling from the CSSI website. See if you can tell if all 3 of those Owens wells are going to be in the area enclosed in the pooling document. See if you can see how many acres in the unit. About the property numbers, these might be numbers assigned by the operator. Do you know if you have interest in more than 1 tract in the unit? Or, maybe these are the numbers assigned by the operator for the wells, and you have interest in all 3 of them. Usually if you are in a unit, you are paid your proportional share of the proceeds from all of the wells in the unit, no matter if one of the wells does not go directly under your property. Hope this makes sense.

1 Like

Thanks Nancy, I didn’t know about the plat download site.

1 Like

I have learned so much over the years from other people sharing. I hope anybody who reads this thread and saves some of the sites can share with others. The more we know about these things, the better off we are.

2 Likes

I’m sorry, but I don’t understand the problem or don’t understand your question. If you are in the Owen Unit, then you will get your percentage listed on the DO for the production of ALL the wells drilled in the Owen Unit. Doesn’t make a difference if a well actually runs across your actual piece of land as long as you are in THAT UNIT. Assuming this is Antero, I looked at the map and there are several names on the bottom left that show owners and percentages of ownership in that UNIT. I did a snip of some of them, but don’t think there is an upload option on this site. Are you wanting to verify your percentage or are you trying to find out how much you will make when the production is finally listed online?

1 Like

One more thing. They probably listed three “legs” (wells) on the DO because they plan on drilling three wells in that Unit. Sometime they will only drill one or two or…I have an EQT UNIT that has three wells. Only two cross my land, but I get paid for all three. Same with Antero. A UNIT with two wells, but only one crossing our land in the UNIT. I get paid on both.

2 Likes

Thank you Nancy…I’ve been plugging away at this today.Got all three Owen wells printed and comparing to Dec page on CSSI. Confused that I don’t see our actual name listed anywhere in the list of LESSORS/ UNIT LEASE INFO (TOTAL ACRES 404.0). Is it normal to see your parcel included but not named specifically by mineral or land owner? I do see our parcel in the Dec page on CSSI. When looking at the list of numerous LESSORS on the plat page , our parcel falls into a section labeled A2 (Lessor is Ridgetop Capital II, and Lesee Antero. The list shows for this A2 = 51.5 ac amd 12.75%. Of course all of the other Lessors are listed here totaling 404.0 acres.

Thank you everyone here! Im learning so much from each of you! And obviously so much more to learn.:slight_smile:

Thank you Jim, Im trying to get an idea of my percentage in Unit and possible income from production. Does my decimal on my DO represent my percentage (tiny) of ownership? I had no idea until this thread that if we are in one of the Owens (3H) Unit that we get a percent from ALL the wells in the Owens Unit. I see that some production is listed on the WVDEP OGG from Sep, Oct, Nov Dec 2018. But i don’t know what to do with that info yet. I tried to upload on this site as well, but no option for it.

Your decimal number is your ownership interest in that UNIT. You will see listing for OWENS 3H. That means the Owens Unit and the 3H mean the well in that Unit. Since your DO listed 1H, 2H, 3H, I assume they are drilling three wells in that UNIT named 1H, 2H & 3H. If for any reason these wells are not drilled in your Unit, you do not have an interest in them. There may be exceptions to this, but I am unawareof them. Decimal interests are always small unless you are very lucky since Unit usually contain many owners who have some interest in the actual land in the Unit, but remember you are getting paid on production of the whole Unit, not just your individual parcel.