Penn Virginia Acquiring Acreage in Lavaca "Marl"

Friday [7/11/14] Penn Virginia (PVA) announced that it is acquiring ~11,660 net Eagle Ford Shale acres in Lavaca County in the “Marl”, East of Penn Virginia's Shiner area. PVA believes the Marl area is highly prospective and paid $3500 to $3700. To read the article by an equity investment analyst go to--- http://seekingalpha.com/article/2310335-penn-virginia-expanding-the-marl-position?uprof=46

Does anyone know if PVA has already secured their leases or are they just now reaching out to mineral owners?

Ginny,

I assume you have tried the link. All I know is what is in the article. I seem to remember that the article used "acquiring" and "acquired". If you have property in the Marl you are lucky. The maps in the article suggest the Marl is east of the Shiner play. You might also try Sabine Oil and Gas in Houston. They are also active in the Marl.

They are a very good company--I know from experience. Sabine has a web site.

Thanks Robert. I did read the article and I am assuming that if PVA was going to contact us they already would have. I honestly don't know if we are in the Marl or not.
Robert A Fairey said:

Ginny,

I assume you have tried the link. All I know is what is in the article. I seem to remember that the article used "acquiring" and "acquired". If you have property in the Marl you are lucky. The maps in the article suggest the Marl is east of the Shiner play. You might also try Sabine Oil and Gas in Houston. They are also active in the Marl.

They are a very good company--I know from experience. Sabine has a web site.

Ginny, a while back I contacted Sabine about land in the Shiner area and got leased with favorable terms. You might be able to locate the Marl some way on the web. You could then contact a company.

Bob

Thanks - I will probably go to the Lavaca county courthouse this week and look around and talk to some people. Thanks for all of your input!

Robert A Fairey said:

Ginny, a while back I contacted Sabine about land in the Shiner area and got leased with favorable terms. You might be able to locate the Marl some way on the web. You could then contact a company.

Bob

Penn Virginia has a Slide in one of their investor pacs that shows what they call the MARL fairway. Fairly large swath that includes some new acreage east of Shiner and Moulton even going toward Flatonia I believe. It also includes some already drilled EF acreagae which they mentioned in the presentation. I know we are hoping that the MARL is proved to be a different reservoir and Penn Va can drill double on all those acre's. We are in the Pavlicek lease about a half mile from the Fojtik well. Below is a link to the presentation.

http://files.shareholder.com/downloads/AMDA-1PYQVM/3257271116x0x767349/1d179c89-5915-4ec3-871b-b316c9fdafb9/PVA_Investor_Presentation_July_2014_2_.pdf

Kedasim

Ginny M Gratzer said:

Thanks - I will probably go to the Lavaca county courthouse this week and look around and talk to some people. Thanks for all of your input!

Robert A Fairey said:

Bob

trying to clarify the marl map info.. We signed a lease with Penn Virginia back in February for our Witting property.. When I tried to bring up the link in Kedasim"s reply my computer just takes forever..the first map shown on Friday seems to include the Witting area, am I off base? I have looked elsewhere on the net but there just aren't any clear maps that I can find.. Does anyone have an answer??
Many thanks,
Kitty Cheshul

Yes Witting is in the MARL prospect area per the slide.

Kedasim said:

Yes Witting is in the MARL prospect area per the slide.

Thank you for the info.. It is so hard to really know what is happening.. I have tried to contact the lease holder line at PV and never get a response.. does it seem that this Marl area will be developed in the next year or two ? Just would like to see something happen in my lifetime :)
Thank you so much,
Kitty

Friend Kedasim,

Exactly how did you determine that Witting is in the Marl? Sounds good.

Speaking in general terms, I have read that marl is a rather brittle shale that is easier to break and open its oil and gas to hydraulic fracture. Might mean more or faster oil and gas.

I am no expert. Just going by Penn VA latest slide presentation. One slide has a red outline on wwhat they think the marl fairway is situated. The map shows current time wells prospect ed in marl. Well a user which is out disease of shiner foster which his half a mile from our lease and a few others. I connected the dots so to speak. Just my layman’s opinion

Thanks, Kedasim. Makes sense. I guess I have forgotten or never knew; where might I find that particular slide?

It is in the link above I providef

Not on my computer can give u the slide number tomorrow.

I am using slide 11 of the Penn Virginia presentation I referenced a few days ago. They have the MARL test wells listed. You can also see the NW Lavaca county boarder and the Fayette county boarder. By knowing the location of the test wells and where the red lines for the MARL fairway are on the map I am making a edumakated guess that Witting is in the fairway. Disclaimer. I am not an expert just a land owner like everyone else but if you really look into these presentations they have good info.

Kedasim

PS they are all avaliable on the Penn Va website under investor presentations. Good reads if you have the time. One from January even shows proposed futer well sites and names at that point in time if you enlarge it enough in your PDF viewer.

Happy Reading all enjoy the rain,

Kedasim

I would like to know if Komensky is in this Marl area. I own property about 3 miles from Witting. How can I tell where the formation is?