Oil Lease Transfer

Hi everyone I received a letter that there is a producing oil and gas lease in effect in my property and that a previous owner had been cashing in until they reviewed their records. They are asking me to sign so that the lease can be updated to my name. They have so far $100 for me? I’m thinking this lease was made 40 something years ago because 100 dollars sound like pennies. Should I sign the letter along with the W9 ? I emailed them and asked for a copy of the lease but no response yet.

I’ve lived in my home for 8yrs and went back on the records I have and the names of the owners on the lease might be from a very long tim ago because I have track of the last 6 owners of this property. And the name of the couple that signed the lease are not current owners.

The letter indicates they have sent you a Division Order, which is not a lease. A division order is an acknowledgement / attestation that you are the rightful owner and how much interest you own in the total lease. This is the normal course of business when a producing property has been sold. The operator will request / require the new owner to sign a division order and W9 to begin receiving royalties.

1 Like