Oil and Gas Leases - Fair Market Value? - Washington County, TX

I need information concerning the fair market value of oil and gas lease in Washington County, TX. We live in the Carmine/Round Top Area. My land borders Fayette County but my 104.5 acres lies in Washington County. We have only one leasing company working this area from La Grange. Many people around me are signing leases for $100.00/acre for 3 years with the option to continue the lease for another $100.00/acre for the next 2 years. What is fair market value when the length of time is (5 yrs)? Is that too long. They are paying out 1/5 which is better than my last lease in 2003 to this same company.

I have a good friend with some acreage in Fayette County and some Family members with mineral interests so I have been following the activity there. I will provide a link which you can see the EagleFord Trend that encompasses Washington County. I would be very patient and let the drilling and seismic activity develop this trend which may take some years to do. Often times mineral owners are too eager to take any ole offer which is typically very low when a new play is discovered. The chart will show bonus offers going from 250-2000 bucks per acre in the southern part of the trend. I would foresee many Operators competing for mineral leases as the trend develops further northeastward. This is where the mineral owner will gain negotiation leverage to get a good solid equitable lease agreement. Watch EOG. They have permitted two wells just SW of Gonzales. EOG is typically a trend leader and likes the oilier shale plays. Clayton Williams is indicating they will test the EagleFord in Burleson County. This will be one to watch for mineral owners in Fayette and Washington Counties.

http://www.victoriaadvocate.com/weblogs/h1n1-vaccine/2010/feb/02/giant-eagle-ford-gas-field-in-south-texas-being-de/

I appreciate your response Mike. The company leasing is saying they are NOT going after the Eagle Ford but the Austin Chalk. But, he is saying they ARE going to drill down 10,000 to 12,000 feet which is right at the Eagle Ford. So, you don’t know what to believe. Yet, all my neighbors have already signed 3-year leases with 2-year options at $100/acre. (Some have been 7 years without leases.) Little good it will do me to hold out because everyone around me will still be in lease when the Eagle Ford activity reaches my area in one or two years. And, as I understand it, Texas law allows them to pool me and get my minerals without paying me a dime if I am not under lease having rejected a “reasonable offer.” So, at the end of the day, wouldn’t I be better now getting something rather than having my minerals taken from me? Or, ending up with nothing in two years because there is no leasable land around me when the Eagle Ford leasing companies arrive?

Mike Igau said:

I have a good friend with some acreage in Fayette County and some Family members with mineral interests so I have been following the activity there. I will provide a link which you can see the EagleFord Trend that encompasses Washington County. I would be very patient and let the drilling and seismic activity develop this trend which may take some years to do. Often times mineral owners are too eager to take any ole offer which is typically very low when a new play is discovered. The chart will show bonus offers going from 250-2000 bucks per acre in the southern part of the trend. I would foresee many Operators competing for mineral leases as the trend develops further northeastward. This is where the mineral owner will gain negotiation leverage to get a good solid equitable lease agreement. Watch EOG. They have permitted two wells just SW of Gonzales. EOG is typically a trend leader and likes the oilier shale plays. Clayton Williams is indicating they will test the EagleFord in Burleson County. This will be one to watch for mineral owners in Fayette and Washington Counties.

http://www.victoriaadvocate.com/weblogs/h1n1-vaccine/2010/feb/02/gi…

Don it is getting pretty hot in the southern Gonzales county area from Cheapside to Pilgrim to Wrightsboro over to Nixon and south. There is some noise west of Cost to just north of Gonzales. It is not unusual to hear 1200-1500 south with some talk of 2100-2500 per acre and 400-700 further north. If they want to drill the chalk then think about just a chalk lease and hold any minerals deeper than that. Work with a good mineral attorney to set that up. As things move further north, you will see the offers go up and get ready for the mineral rights buyers as well as they are offering anywhere from 3500-6000 for any portion of your minerals depending on where you are.

Don Stevens said:

I appreciate your response Mike. The company leasing is saying they are NOT going after the Eagle Ford but the Austin Chalk. But, he is saying they ARE going to drill down 10,000 to 12,000 feet which is right at the Eagle Ford. So, you don’t know what to believe. Yet, all my neighbors have already signed 3-year leases with 2-year options at $100/acre. (Some have been 7 years without leases.) Little good it will do me to hold out because everyone around me will still be in lease when the Eagle Ford activity reaches my area in one or two years. And, as I understand it, Texas law allows them to pool me and get my minerals without paying me a dime if I am not under lease having rejected a “reasonable offer.” So, at the end of the day, wouldn’t I be better now getting something rather than having my minerals taken from me? Or, ending up with nothing in two years because there is no leasable land around me when the Eagle Ford leasing companies arrive?

Mike Igau said:

http://www.victoriaadvocate.com/weblogs/h1n1-vaccine/2010/feb/02/gi…

Morgan, thanks for the information. I had an oil/gas lawyer draw up my last lease. I am familiar with the provision to retain all minerals starting a few feet below the bottom of the hole. I will check that and make sure. My main concern is whether they can still come get my minerals if I refuse a “reasonable” offer. Does anyone know if Texas law allows this?

Don: Morgan put some numbers on what I was referring too about not being to anxious to lease with this new play as I feel the value of your minerals will potentially increase and perhaps significantly. It is hard to tell currently until there is more seismic and drilling to test the EagleFord formation in your area. I had the same thing happen to me in the Barnett Shale. We are in a similar situation as you. We have several hundred acres but are in a “doughnut” surrounded by one Operator’s leases. They recently offered us a very low offer that we could not accept. They knew they had leverage and tried to dictate their terms. Our Family unanimously rejected the offer. I did a Google Search of Forced Pooling in Texas. it addressed the (MIPA) Mineral Interest Poolling Act that allowed for “forced pooling” but was intended to benefit the small tract mineral owner against the Operator so they could be included in a pool. A recent case, however, in a Ft Worth subdivision favored the Operator against some very small acreage owners who were reluctant to lease. This may open the door to forced pooling in Texas but it is a rare event. I don’t think this would be easily done for large tracts. I would consult with your O&G Attorney to get clarification of the MIPA Act as it pertains to your mineral property. We are both in the same situation and I am taking the position that we cannot be forced pooled at this time due to the large size of our mineral properties. .

Don Stevens said:

Morgan, thanks for the information. I had an oil/gas lawyer draw up my last lease. I am familiar with the provision to retain all minerals starting a few feet below the bottom of the hole. I will check that and make sure. My main concern is whether they can still come get my minerals if I refuse a “reasonable” offer. Does anyone know if Texas law allows this?

Mike, thank you. I really appreciate the information. We’re going to pray about all this. We have contacted another company that is leasing around La Grange but haven’t heard back from him. I think the best is to get some competitive offers but we can’t dictate that. The main disadvantage to waiting is that in two or three years they will know where the main formation is and it may not be under us. We could end up with nothing. So, the question is do we take what is being offered that is sure or the much better offer that may not even be there when the time arrives. I think this situation requires a lot of praying. Thanks again.

Don: What I would do, if you are anxious to lease now, is limit the primary term to drill and do not agree to an “option to extend” A three year primary term to drill is the norm with no option to extend. Also have specific language in the mineral lease detailing the spudding and actual drilling of a well capable of reaching the target formation depth to hold the lease prior to the lease expiration date. Your O&G ATTY should be well versed in this type of language to add to a mineral lease document. You also might consider having your ATTY put in a Pugh Clause limiting or restricting this Operator to only the depth of the bottom of the Chalk formation, if that is what this Operator says they only want to drill. In reality all it takes to drill the “Chalk” is a lease less than two years in duration. Otherwise these guys will in all probability assign(sell) the lease, in part or whole, to one of the few larger Operators, such as EOG, who have the capability and expertise to engage in the difficult horizontal drilling technology to exploit the EagleFord. Also to flush out their intentions is to set the bar high and ask for 25% royalty interest rate. Watch their reaction. That could be telling. I have found it better to negotiate from top down than from bottom up. All of this is a judgement call and is not an easy task to negotiate these matters. Go with what you are most comfortable with. Operator’s typically expect some “haggling” and negotiations. Best of luck.

Don Stevens said:

Mike, thank you. I really appreciate the information. We’re going to pray about all this. We have contacted another company that is leasing around La Grange but haven’t heard back from him. I think the best is to get some competitive offers but we can’t dictate that. The main disadvantage to waiting is that in two or three years they will know where the main formation is and it may not be under us. We could end up with nothing. So, the question is do we take what is being offered that is sure or the much better offer that may not even be there when the time arrives. I think this situation requires a lot of praying. Thanks again.

The current MIPA laws and their application seem to be specific and rare. According to one blogger: "Under the MIPA, the operator seeking to form the unit must make a ‘good faith offer’ to unleased owners before filing an MIPA application to force them into the unit. Finley offered the unleased lot owners the right to receive a 1/5th royalty and a 4/5ths working interest, which means that 45ths of those owners’ share of production from the well would bear its share of the drilling and operating costs of the well. After studying the matter for a year, the Railroad Commission approved Finley’s application. One unusual aspect of the order is that the unleased owners suffer no “risk penalty.” In most MIPA applications, a party who has refused to join the unit voluntarily must bear its share of the drilling costs plus a “risk penalty,” not to exceed 100% of the drilling and completion costs, before participating in revenues from the well. The Commission’s order in Finley allows the unleased owners to participate in revenues as a working interest owner once the operator has recovered 100% of drilling and completion costs, with no ‘risk penalty.’

"Operation of the Finley order can be best understood by a hypothetical example: Suppose that you are the owner of a one-acre lot in the proposed unit and have refused to sign a lease. Suppose that the Finley Well is drilled and completed at a cost of $3 million, and produces $6 million of gas in its first year of operation. As an unleased owner, you would be entitled first to a 1/5th royalty on your one-acre tract: 1/5 X 1/96.32 acres = .0020764. Your share of the $6 million would be $12,458. In addition, you would be entitled to 4/5 X 1/96.32 = .008056 of production as a working interest owner, less the drilling, completion and operating cost of the well. Assuming that those costs are $3.1 million, your working interest share of production would be $24,086. That would be equivalent to a 58% royalty interest on your one-acre tract!

“Mineral owners expressed concern about the possible effect of this use of the MIPA to force them into pooled units against their will. It appears that, if the Commission follows the same formula on future MIPA cases involving unleased interests, the landowners will be well-protected.”

I found this information here: http://www.oilandgaslawyerblog.com/2009/05/expanded-use-of-mineral-intere.html

Don: That is interesting information. John, the creator of this oil and gas lawyer blog, happens to be my O&G Attorney. I think we are in good hands.

Don Stevens said:

The current MIPA laws and their application seem to be specific and rare. According to one blogger: "Under the MIPA, the operator seeking to form the unit must make a ‘good faith offer’ to unleased owners before filing an MIPA application to force them into the unit. Finley offered the unleased lot owners the right to receive a 1/5th royalty and a 4/5ths working interest, which means that 45ths of those owners’ share of production from the well would bear its share of the drilling and operating costs of the well. After studying the matter for a year, the Railroad Commission approved Finley’s application. One unusual aspect of the order is that the unleased owners suffer no “risk penalty.” In most MIPA applications, a party who has refused to join the unit voluntarily must bear its share of the drilling costs plus a “risk penalty,” not to exceed 100% of the drilling and completion costs, before participating in revenues from the well. The Commission’s order in Finley allows the unleased owners to participate in revenues as a working interest owner once the operator has recovered 100% of drilling and completion costs, with no ‘risk penalty.’

"Operation of the Finley order can be best understood by a hypothetical example:
Suppose that you are the owner of a one-acre lot in the proposed unit and have refused to sign a lease. Suppose that the Finley Well is drilled and completed at a cost of $3 million, and produces $6 million of gas in its first year of operation. As an unleased owner, you would be entitled first to a 1/5th royalty on your one-acre tract: 1/5 X 1/96.32 acres = .0020764. Your share of the $6 million would be $12,458. In addition, you would be entitled to 4/5 X 1/96.32 = .008056 of production as a working interest owner, less the drilling, completion and operating cost of the well. Assuming that those costs are $3.1 million, your working interest share of production would be $24,086. That would be equivalent to a 58% royalty interest on your one-acre tract!

“Mineral owners expressed concern about the possible effect of this use of the MIPA to force them into pooled units against their will. It appears that, if the Commission follows the same formula on future MIPA cases involving unleased interests, the landowners will be well-protected.”

I found this information here: http://www.oilandgaslawyerblog.com/2009/05/expanded-use-of-mineral-…

Hello Don,

Just sent you a message to your in-box on this site as well. Sounds like we might be neighbors as our family has 160+ acres also in Washington County near that Burton/Round Top/Greenvine area.

Things definately seem to be heating up a bit in that area and we have recently been contacted by two companies looking for seismic permits for our land.

Our acreage is also currently unleased. We were leased a while back in 2003, but the primary term expired without drilling activity.

Have recently leased some other property in the Haynesville play in East Texas, so I’m pretty up to speed on the leasing process. For the E.Texas minerals, we eventually ended up leasing to Devon. They started out very low in their intitial offers, but we waited things out for almost a year. As time passed, their offer ended up improving to 5x the intial rate. More importantly, as time passed we were eventually able to get all of the back end protection clauses that we were requesting added to our contract and the royalty rate did improve up to 25%.

I have checked well logs at the Texas Railroad Commission and have found some historical wells in our area drilled in the late 90’s that were Austin Chalk wells where they did drill deep all the way down to the Edwards formation. In those logs, it did show a range of 125 to 200’ thickness of Eagle Ford in our area.

That said, I imagine that eventually there will be some activity to prove the formations productivity for our region in a matter of time and I would also imagine that things might get more interesting once some of these new 3D seismic surveys end up being conducted.

Give a shout sometime and let’s discuss further.

D.Gaar bubbagaar@live.com 979-530-3935

David, Thank you for your reply. We signed with EnerVest Energy. We couldn’t hold any of the neighbors together. It had been since 2003 and they all grabbed up the first offer. We did hold out until two higher offers were made and took it last week. We got all our provisions from our 2003 lease that had been drawn up by an oil and gas lawyer except two sentences. They also allowed us to reserve everything below the Austin Chalk. They said from the start that they were only interested in the Austin Chalk formation and were willing to put it in writing. So, everything below the Austin Chalk remains unleased on our land. That is quite visible on our lease filed in the county courthouse should anyone else be interested in the Eagle Ford under us.

All we can do now is wait. We are expecting some thumpers at any time. It is expected to get very interesting around here in about two years. There is rumored that Clayton Williams will soon sink a test well near Caldwell. Should he hit the Eagle Ford there, as expected, Washington County will get really hot. I hear that the courthouse is so full in Giddings with leasing activity that landmen are stumbling over each other. Everyone is coming back over this area and going down to develop further in the Austin Chalk. Just a matter of time before Eagle Ford speculators and drillers get in on the action.

We believe we have done the right thing by reserving everything below the Austin Chalk and that someone will be interested. With all the thumping going on it is just a matter of time before they know whether we sit in the right place. There aren’t too many that doubt that we are sitting on liquid gold if we can keep the government from buying foreign LNG and start developing more wells stateside and start converting more of industry into utilizing the abundant LNG available in Texas. If so, I don’t think we will ever need to buy foreign oil or gas again. Only the Lord knows.

Thanks for entering the discussion. I am quite interested in anything you have to say and look forward to others in our area joining the discussion.

God bless neighbor!

David J. Gaar said:

Hello Don,

Just sent you a message to your in-box on this site as well. Sounds like we might be neighbors as our family has 160+ acres also in Washington County near that Burton/Round Top/Greenvine area.

Things definately seem to be heating up a bit in that area and we have recently been contacted by two companies looking for seismic permits for our land.

Our acreage is also currently unleased. We were leased a while back in 2003, but the primary term expired without drilling activity.

Have recently leased some other property in the Haynesville play in East Texas, so I’m pretty up to speed on the leasing process. For the E.Texas minerals, we eventually ended up leasing to Devon. They started out very low in their intitial offers, but we waited things out for almost a year. As time passed, their offer ended up improving to 5x the intial rate. More importantly, as time passed we were eventually able to get all of the back end protection clauses that we were requesting added to our contract and the royalty rate did improve up to 25%.

I have checked well logs at the Texas Railroad Commission and have found some historical wells in our area drilled in the late 90’s that were Austin Chalk wells where they did drill deep all the way down to the Edwards formation. In those logs, it did show a range of 125 to 200’ thickness of Eagle Ford in our area.

That said, I imagine that eventually there will be some activity to prove the formations productivity for our region in a matter of time and I would also imagine that things might get more interesting once some of these new 3D seismic surveys end up being conducted.

Give a shout sometime and let’s discuss further.

D.Gaar
bubbagaar@live.com
979-530-3935

I noticed last evening that a rig has popped up just south of us. Anyone know how to check and see who is drilling about five miles to the northeast of Round Top, Texas, Fayette County?

Hey Don,

Do you know which road/roads this new rig is located off of?

I'll take a look on the Baker-Hughes rig site to see if they have the operator listed yet.

Very interesting.
Don Stevens said:

I noticed last evening that a rig has popped up just south of us. Anyone know how to check and see who is drilling about five miles to the northeast of Round Top, Texas, Fayette County?

I don’t but I should know this evening. I’ll run by there and take a look. Thanks.

DJG said:

Hey Don,

I'll take a look on the Baker-Hughes rig site to see if they have the operator listed yet.

Very interesting.
Don Stevens said:

Doesn't seem to be listed on Baker Hughes as of yet. They normally update each Friday, but the last one was on 12/24 due to the holiday so maybe something will be updated later this week.

The only two currently listed in Fayette County are Enervest's Flying Kite and Von Rosenberg - both of which are South of Round Top.

FYI - That Flying Kite 1H well did have an IP Report early in the month and it came in pretty strong. Austin Chalk well reported at over 650 BOE/Day on restricted choke and decent pressure.

HELMERICH & PAYNE 390 Land MYRA KELLEY -6- 1 H Development 12/03/2010 Gas Horizontal WESTERN GULF TEXAS DE WITT
PIONEER DRILLING COMPANY (TEXAS) 24 Land JOHNSON GAS UNIT -1- 2 Development 12/06/2010 Gas Horizontal WESTERN GULF TEXAS DE WITT
PRECISION DRILLING 554 Land BRUNS -1- 1 H Development 11/16/2010 Gas Horizontal WESTERN GULF TEXAS DE WITT
PATTERSON-UTI 221 Land GIPS -1- 1 H Development 12/10/2010 Gas Horizontal WESTERN GULF TEXAS DE WITT
NABORS INDUSTRIES 768 Land PICKETT GAS UNIT -1- 1 Development 11/22/2010 Gas Vertical WESTERN GULF TEXAS DE WITT
HELMERICH & PAYNE 188 Land RUCKMAN MONITOR WELL 1 Development 12/06/2010 Oil Directional WESTERN GULF TEXAS DE WITT
PRECISION DRILLING 551 Land HAMILTON TRUST UNIT -D- 1 Development 11/25/2010 Gas Horizontal WESTERN GULF TEXAS DE WITT
NABORS INDUSTRIES 732 Land MCCLANAHAN GAS UNIT -1- 1 Development 12/04/2010 Gas Horizontal WESTERN GULF TEXAS DE WITT
NABORS INDUSTRIES 2 Land DLUGOSCH 1 H Development 09/19/2010 Gas Horizontal WESTERN GULF TEXAS DE WITT
BIG E DRILLING COMPANY 5 Land WARWAS -A- 1 H Development 12/11/2010 Gas Horizontal WESTERN GULF TEXAS DE WITT
UNIT TEXAS DRILLING, LLC 38 Land BISHOP -A- 1 H Development 12/13/2010 Gas Horizontal WESTERN GULF TEXAS DE WITT
EDDE DRILLING COMPANY, INC. 5 Land WINFORD EXTENDER CADDIS -A- 2 Development 12/03/2010 Gas Vertical WESTERN GULF TEXAS DE WITT
PATTERSON-UTI 531 Land NOTEBOOM 1 Development 11/05/2010 Gas Vertical WESTERN GULF TEXAS COLORADO
PATTERSON-UTI 9 Land CONNOR 2 Development 10/30/2010 Gas Vertical WESTERN GULF TEXAS COLORADO
BIG 6 DRILLING CO. 7 Land D TRUCHARD 1 Development 11/20/2010 Gas Vertical WESTERN GULF TEXAS COLORADO
PATTERSON-UTI 128 Land MARY B JOHNSON 3 H Development 12/11/2010 Oil Horizontal WESTERN GULF TEXAS CALDWELL
PATTERSON-UTI 222 Land SWEET UNIT 3 H Development 12/19/2010 Oil Horizontal WESTERN GULF TEXAS GONZALES
HELMERICH & PAYNE 312 Land SWEET UNIT 1 H Development 12/04/2010 Oil Horizontal WESTERN GULF TEXAS GONZALES
PRECISION DRILLING 7 Land H F S 1 H Development 12/03/2010 Oil Horizontal WESTERN GULF TEXAS GONZALES
PIONEER DRILLING COMPANY (TEXAS) 14 Land GRAHAM 2 H Development 11/15/2010 Oil Horizontal WESTERN GULF TEXAS GONZALES
HELMERICH & PAYNE 260 Land GARDNER ET AL 1 H Development 11/21/2010 Oil Horizontal WESTERN GULF TEXAS GONZALES
NABORS INDUSTRIES F19 Land CINCO -J- RANCH 1 H Development 12/13/2010 Oil Horizontal WESTERN GULF TEXAS GONZALES
ORION DRILLING COMPANY, LP Hercules Land CLARK -C- 1 H Development 11/21/2010 Gas Horizontal WESTERN GULF TEXAS GONZALES
PATTERSON-UTI 135 Land SOUTHERN HUNTER 1 H Development 10/13/2010 Oil Horizontal WESTERN GULF TEXAS GONZALES
PIONEER DRILLING COMPANY (TEXAS) 11 Land LANKFORD TRUST 1 Development 12/11/2010 Gas Vertical WESTERN GULF TEXAS FORT BEND
NABORS INDUSTRIES 491 Land VON ROSEBERG 1 RE Other 10/02/2010 Oil Horizontal WESTERN GULF TEXAS FAYETTE
NABORS INDUSTRIES M19 Land FLYING KYTE 1H Development 08/26/2010 Gas Horizontal WESTERN GULF TEXAS FAYETTE
HELMERICH & PAYNE 184 Land GENELLE UNIT -A- 1 Development 12/01/2010 Oil Horizontal WESTERN GULF TEXAS KARNES
HELMERICH & PAYNE 182 Land RUCKMAN TRUST UNIT -B- 1 Development 11/12/2010 Oil Horizontal WESTERN GULF TEXAS KARNES
NABORS INDUSTRIES F15 Land MIXON UNIT -A- 1 Development 11/06/2010 Gas Horizontal WESTERN GULF TEXAS KARNES
NABORS INDUSTRIES F08 Land WAGENER UNIT 6 H Development 12/11/2010 Oil Horizontal WESTERN GULF TEXAS KARNES
NABORS INDUSTRIES M34 Land GREENLOW UNIT 7 H Development 11/30/2010 Oil Horizontal WESTERN GULF TEXAS KARNES
HELMERICH & PAYNE 164 Land WIATREK UNIT 5 H Development 12/04/2010 Oil Horizontal WESTERN GULF TEXAS KARNES
HELMERICH & PAYNE 187 Land NIXON UNIT 6 Development 12/01/2010 Oil Vertical WESTERN GULF TEXAS KARNES
HELMERICH & PAYNE 244 Land EDITH GRAY UNIT -B- 1 Development 12/18/2010 Oil Horizontal WESTERN GULF TEXAS KARNES
PATTERSON-UTI 173 Land REYNOLDS GAS UNIT 1H Development 10/31/2010 Gas Horizontal WESTERN GULF TEXAS KARNES
HELMERICH & PAYNE 210 Land GEORG -EF- 1 H Development 11/29/2010 Gas Horizontal WESTERN GULF TEXAS KARNES
HELMERICH & PAYNE 229 Land SIENKIEWICS UNIT 1 H Development 11/15/2010 Gas Horizontal WESTERN GULF TEXAS KARNES
HELMERICH & PAYNE 213 Land GILLEY UNIT 1 H Development 11/19/2010 Oil Horizontal WESTERN GULF TEXAS KARNES
HELMERICH & PAYNE 226 Land KENEDY JONES UNIT 1 H Development 11/26/2010 Gas Horizontal WESTERN GULF TEXAS KARNES
NABORS INDUSTRIES 10 Land SCHENDEL B1H Development 11/14/2010 Oil Horizontal WESTERN GULF TEXAS KARNES
NABORS INDUSTRIES F14 Land WILSON UNIT 1H Development 11/17/2010 Oil Horizontal WESTERN GULF TEXAS KARNES
PATTERSON-UTI 534 Land LEACH 1 Development 12/23/2010 Gas Vertical WESTERN GULF TEXAS JACKSON
ROWAN COMPANIES INC 61 Land RUNNELLS GAS UNIT -1- 10 Development 10/16/2010 Gas Vertical WESTERN GULF TEXAS MATAGORDA
PATTERSON-UTI 220 Land KIRK-1- 1H Development 12/14/2010 Gas Horizontal WESTERN GULF TEXAS KARNES
PIONEER DRILLING COMPANY (TEXAS) 58 Land JULIE 4H Development 12/04/2010 Oil Horizontal WESTERN GULF TEXAS KARNES
PIONEER DRILLING COMPANY (TEXAS) 2 Land PAJARITO 1 Development 11/18/2010 Oil Vertical WESTERN GULF TEXAS WILSON
EDDE DRILLING COMPANY, INC. 3 Land HANCOCK 1 Development 11/23/2010 Gas Vertical WESTERN GULF TEXAS WHARTON
PROGRESS DRILLING, INC. 3 Land RAUN-WITTIG 1 Development 12/11/2010 Gas Vertical WESTERN GULF TEXAS WHARTON

Don Stevens said:
I don't but I should know this evening. I'll run by there and take a look. Thanks.

DJG said:

Hey Don,

Very interesting.
Don Stevens said:

I appreciate the information. I should know something soon. Thanks again!

Don Stevens said:

I don't but I should know this evening. I'll run by there and take a look. Thanks.

DJG said:

Hey Don,

Very interesting.
Don Stevens said:

The rig sits about 1.25-1.5 miles (as the crow flies) south of Washington County line and my property. The southwestern edge of my place goes a few feet into Fayette County.

The rig is on Klatt Road. The sign at the entrance says, "#491 Nabors Drilling, Enervest Glenn Unit #1" and it listed over 1,000 acres in the unit. I don't remember the exact number.

That should help you! Let me know.

Thanks for your help.

Don Stevens said:

DJG said:

Hey Don,

Very interesting.
Don Stevens said:

It will be interesting to see what develops here, Don. This location is just about 2/2-1/4 miles to the SW of our own property as well so we will definately be watching this one!

Here's a link to the info on a 1994 well drilled at that location by Enervest's predecessor Union Resources:

http://webapps.rrc.state.tx.us/DP/drillDownQueryAction.do?fromPublicQuery=Y&name=GLENN%2BUNIT&univDocNo=490472

I imagine that we'll likely see a new permit for a recompletion under Enervest's name be submitted to TRRC sometime soon after the holidays.

Let's hope it is a strong one!

Don Stevens said:

The rig sits about 1.25-1.5 miles (as the crow flies) south of Washington County line and my property. The southwestern edge of my place goes a few feet into Fayette County.

The rig is on Klatt Road. The sign at the entrance says, "#491 Nabors Drilling, Enervest Glenn Unit #1" and it listed over 1,000 acres in the unit. I don't remember the exact number.

That should help you! Let me know.

Thanks for your help.

Don Stevens said:

DJG said:

Hey Don,

Very interesting.
Don Stevens said:

Took a look at that original 1995 well at this location Don.

Austin Chalk horizontal completion at 12,055'. IP of just under 5 mmcfd/gas and 100 BOE/Condensate.

Enervest must have some interesting information in the well logs to look towards drilling a modern well at this location.