Offer to buy inherited mineral rights, Marion County, Lincoln District

We recently learned we inherited 2 acres of mineral rights Tax Map 9, Parcel 3 when an offer to buy from County Roads Mineral arrived in the mail this week. How can we determine if we are being offered a fair price?

Thank you in advance.

2 Likes

We also have been approached by them. Would like to know the same thing. I understand that there are appraisers for that purpose.

1 Like

I personally would not sell. If they are wanting buy your minerals, that usually means a gas company may be drilling soon in the mineral tract you have an interest in. And then you can collect royalties and still own your minerals…

1 Like

I typically recommend that people don’t sell. The mineral rights should be worth more in the long run than they will be in a one-time sale. However, if the money you can get out of it will be life changing, or if owning the minerals will be more of a headache and hassle than a benefit, then it makes sense to sell. I wouldn’t sell in Marion County for less that $4,000/acre, and I’d be hesitant to accept that. You can sign a lease on the minerals for around $3,000/acre right now, depending on exactly where the minerals are located and which company you’re dealing with. You said you have two acres–I think that’s worth holding on to and I don’t think the amount of money you would get in a one time sale would be life changing. I could be wrong. I don’t know your life. Good luck, and have fun!

1 Like

My family is from Harrison Co. WV and has mineral rights. We used Miller Law Firm to negotiate a lease. We have several offers to sell and one was from Country Roads. I was told by the attorney and several others not to sell. You make less money on a purchase sale for your minerals.

This interest is absolutely out in no mans land. Country Roads is a long term play group & is not concerned with having to sit on tiny acquisitions like this for extended periods.

This acreage is really out in no-mans land at the moment & in one of the more fringy areas in Marion County.

Every individual has his/her unique financial situation. Therefore, I strongly recommend the following steps:

1. Assess your current financial situation, as well as your short-term and long-term financial goals
  2. Clearly understand your plan regarding the money after selling.
  3. Make a balanced decision on whether to hold or to sell.

Once you decide to sell, go to find an appraisal for your mineral rights. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.