Noble County, OK - Oil & Gas Discussion archives

thanx for the response concerning the 2 wells announced at the same time. I’m still a novice to the mineral owners aspect of all this and trying to grow my understanding rapidly. I understand multiple wells on the same section of land. But I thought I was learning each hole would have a different identifier… maybe 1-19H and 2-19H. I guess what I’m trying to understand is in this case was 2 different depths produced within the same hole - hence both announcements’ identifiers being 1-19H?

oops - looks like i forgot to insert Ron’s name in my post just below. Appreciate the response Ron.

Jake,

On the left side of the map is townships, like 21N.

Bottom of map is range, like 1 E. Now you look in that part of the map and you find the section like 24, then you look for the quarter if it’s 160 acres like NW or SE.

So if you are 24-21N-1E, you are on hiway 64 east of Perry about 7 miles. Now what quarter are you in? Section 13 is across the road North.

Jake what is the legal you have.

Ron—I’m Now Having A “Back and Forth” with my wife on Sections-- ! This numbering system is very confusing to a non-oklahoma type person. I confess, I’m a city person—LOL!—My legal says: "The Southeast Quarter of Section 13 Township 21N Range 01E.

Also, “The Northeast Quarter of Section 24 township 21N range 01E”

For now which 1/4 does not matter. You are looking for section 13-T21N- R1E. go to left side of map find T21N now go to bottom of map find R1E come up to T21N with highway 64 sign. Go to right to the 13 & 24. That is you.

Nancy I have a map of Logan Co. that shows some of Noble Co. but not 20n-01w . The sections it shows appears to # the lot 5,6,7,8 across the section from R to L, which is what the legal describes but that would be closer to 120 acres not the 156 that the legal talks about. If I come up with something else I will let you know.

Sorry Jake, the last letter was meant for Larry,

Jake,

Now your question regarding surface ownership. Lots of people like to own land just to walk on or store money in for the future. Some people run cattle on it only and others plant wheat, etc, so lease it to other farmers and rancher to make a little money.

If the oil company decides to put a well on the surface, they usually pay about $10,000 to $15,000 for 5 acres damage to the surface owner, that doesn’t mean they own the land, just the right to drill the well. Once the well is drilled, then the area is much smaller and the farmer can go back to running cattle or planting on some on it. Most farmers would love to own the surface and minerals, but over the years, past owners have sold the minerals for a few dollars that they needed at the time. Remember lots of people didn’t have anything during the depression and oil companies purchases minerals for very little. Some people inherit small acres as it can be expensive if a person passes away to get it transferred and proof of ownership. Very few oil companies purchases the land that the well sets on.

I have another question for anyone who might know something relating to “knowing who my oil company is”. I have no idea who the oil company is when I read my lease document. Is this normal?

The landman would never tell me who the oil company was or is before I signed and received a signing bonus. Do title companies draw up leases without designating the oil company? I signed a lease saying “an oil company” “entered into the lease”

I noticed Nancy Peterson posted: "I am in sect 34 Township 20 North Range 1 West noble County and one of the heirs is listed under red fork,…". So she knows her oil company. The title company will not answer any of my e-mails either. I guess I’ll just have to wait until I’m contacted by the oil company?—Seems so confusing.

Then you have leased both tracts. Did you give an option to lease again after the three years.

ron how many acres is sect 34 20n r1w

Yes I did Ron—They can renew the lease after 3 years.

I have an unrelated question regarding owning the land, but not the mineral rights. Why would anyone do this except for farming purposes?

I know for a fact that no farming is currently happening on the land I have mineral rights to. The owner has no rights to minerals. If an oil company drills on his land, what benefit is it to him except and unless he sells the land to allow this?

So—that begs this next question: If the land that I own mineral rights to is just sitting there right now collecting weeds, is this a sign that that land has either been sold to an oil company or that he’s received notice that an oil company wants to explore?

I mean—why own land in the middle of that NO WHERE Noble county so that you can pay property taxes, but not take advantage of it by farming it? It makes no sense to me.

Jake

I own 80 acres a few miles from noble county in pawnee county, haven’t seen it in 20 years. The fact that it’s in the middle of nowhere is a big reason -the population density there is a benefit IMO. When I can no longer breathe w/o somebody’s permission (soon) and urbania chases me down here yet again I’m very likely to increase the population there by one. :~} (I have lived in the heart of urbania for extended periods for career reasons, but escaped that trap 10 years ago)

I know, for many who have spent their lifetime stacked on top of each other - that makes no sense at all. But for those of us who aren’t naturally modern day cliff dwellers - it makes all the sense in the world.

Virginia.

i’m responding guessing you’re warning is for me.

thanx. it is wisdom you share, and it’s been why i’m not there yet. last time i was there brought that wisdom to the forefront, and it doesn’t even include the potential downfalls of having so much family close by again ;’ /… and as it so happened, the few days I was there the bugs at night were as thick as fog. I had forgotten about that occasionally occurring.

I’ve been using the satelite maps like Jake mentioned, and know it’s all still as rural as it once was. You’re right, the dirt roads are awful sometimes. When I was last there the road my property is on had degraded to two paths and a partially washed out bridge blocked with big piles of dirt. Now though a couple of my generation have moved back onto properties and they’re keeping the road in better shape than that. I hear it still gets a muddy and a challenge to travel during rains as well. I’ll likely not be farming the land, depending on how much oil we do or don’t harvest. There’s alot to consider, no doubt.

But - i’ve been in an incremental step towards that for 10 years now… and had had it up to ‘here’ with urbania’s intrusions long before that. Me and a nice rock are far more compatible I think.

Jake,

You don’t want to be the surface owner if they are drilling wells. But, you can’t keep the mineral owners leasing company off your property. When you purchased the surface only, NO minerals, you know that the mineral owners may lease and get a well. Then you have to put up with that and you only get a small amount one time for the damage. It can be a real problem for surface owners. Now looking at the oil companies problems. Lets say, your g-grandfather owner 160 surface and mineral. He passed away and your grandfather was one of 10 children, now he only owners 16 acres, now your father is one of 4, he get 4 acres after his father passes away and it goes on and on. Now the oil company has to find each one of these people who owns mineral and try to lease. I have seen where their were over 160 people who owned minerals under one 160. Lets say you got 1 acre. Now they are drilling a H well on 640, now you only get 1/4 A of whatever % you signed for. So, unless you get $100, the oil company don’t sent a check less than $100. That is when it doesn’t pay to own minerals anymore and best to sell them.

Wow—I had no idea an owner who does not own mineral rights can’t run oil companies off his own property! Amazing!—Thankyou for this info Virgina. I bet the rest of you are are laughing at the dumb city boy who asks these funny questions, but that why we have forums like this!

Thanks again!–I’m glad I am only --one of (one of two)-- since the property was purchased in 1940. That makes me the sole mineral owner along with my father’s sister since my father is now deceased. And yes, the title company couldn’t find me for a while because my grandmother and father had both passed.

ron on the final decree it list each of the children a 1/9th undivided interest for each one i think he had six children, and i am a heir to one of the childrens children, so their is quite a few of us that share the 1/9 undivded interest, i also found in some of the paper work, that he had a patent property in 1929 it says Section 6, T21N, R3E Noble county or Autrie township it is north of Morrison next to hwy 412, i am in the process of finding out if he sold the property with the mineral rights and royality or is it still ours

Jake,

Before you sell out and move to the country, you had better go back and check things out. I grew up near Perry which was very country, but now I have to pass houses on 5 A tracts all the way to my home farm. We live part time at the farm and nothing is handy. If you need bread, your chose is drive a long ways or make it. We go to Stillwater to get parts for the tractors and it’s over run with people and I stand in longer lines than I do in DFW, TX. When my husband retired, all the talked about was moving to the farm, after 1 month, he was glad to get back to town. What we remember as kids changes as we get older. The country roads are the pits under the best condition and now with all the oil/drilling, if it ever rained, the roads would really be bad. Plus the quite country isn’t quite anymore, it’s either airplanes spraying early morning or oil wells pumping. I would rather listen to pool pumps running. But, we live on a large lot, so maybe if I was on a zero lot and didn’t have wonderful neighbors I would feel different. I have good neighbors at the farm also, but it’s not the same.

ron also i checked the final decree and their were 9 children that had an undivided one-nineth interest, i think if i remember right that the surface land was sold in a sheriff sale to settle the estate but the mineral rights and royalties went to the heirs,

as far as the other property in autrie township, it has us patent homestead cert no# 715 app 5565 dec 1909 to George B Davis lots six and seven and to east half of the south west quarter of section six in township 21north of range 3 east of Indian meridian in okla containing 157 acres to have and hold the tract of land to his heirs and assigns forever, i have to do more research on this one