New Horizontal Well Near Abernathy

Well…hopefully they have run and cemented production casing into the hole, if the sample shows and log interpretation proved favorable.

If so, a completion rig, or pulling unit, will be brought to the location to handle a completion attempt.

Perhaps if this should happen, someone in the Abernathy area might report it here.

Yes, that is exactly what it means. It is a dry hole. It takes about 2 seconds to look at a sample log interpretation to determine if it is worth moving forward. If it is a favorable report, the completion attempt will be right on top of the hole the day of or the day after the drilling rig is moved. No reason to leave money in the ground.

J J Crossin said:

Please excuse my ignorance Stephen, but does the fact that they moved the rig off the site mean the well was a dry hole ?

Stephen Long said:

Actually, they drilled a well 3 miles NW of Abernathy and reportedly went to 18,000'. The rig recently moved off....

Let us be clear here. The drilling rig will move off irrespective of the success or failure of the well. A completion rig will be required to attempt a completion, should one be advised.

If there is casing above ground that can be seen today, the likelihood is that a completion attempt will be forthcoming, IMO.

Need to go to well site look to see if oil company set B section assebly aka as tubing heas. JUST BECAUSE MOVE OUT DRILLING RIG Which normally is not used in completion. I well has a tubing head. doesnot necessary have tubing ran yet then plan on a completion attempt. May have partners that need to make an election to participate in completion. Have a good day.

Robert Tilden said:

Yes, that is exactly what it means. It is a dry hole. It takes about 2 seconds to look at a sample log interpretation to determine if it is worth moving forward. If it is a favorable report, the completion attempt will be right on top of the hole the day of or the day after the drilling rig is moved. No reason to leave money in the ground.

J J Crossin said:

Please excuse my ignorance Stephen, but does the fact that they moved the rig off the site mean the well was a dry hole ?

Stephen Long said:

Actually, they drilled a well 3 miles NW of Abernathy and reportedly went to 18,000'. The rig recently moved off....