Montague County, TX - Oil & Gas Discussion archives

I need/Attorney 90449553670 shawn stephens

May I ask what part of Montague are you in? I have similar royalty acreage near Amon Carter Lake south of Bowie. EOG offered $300 per acre last year but I held out because I had previously leased for $400 and 1/5 to Pioneer. Apparently EOG lost interest. Is this anywhere near your lease?

I’ve just been contacted by EOG regarding minerals in Montague county. We didn’t know we had these. Most of our minerals are in Oklahoma. Montague co. Sec 9 MEP and PRR survey A-521. The offer to lease is 200.00 per nma and 1/5. Is this a reasonable offer for the area? Total our family owns 40 nma. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Help! Newly told I was a mineral rights owner on 130 Montague Co. acres. Independent Landman contacted me - info went from my share being half of the 130 acres to only .928 net mineral acres; The Paid-Up Oil, gas and mineral lease he presented me had the Landman's family name on the surveys done in 1941. His family name as Grantors and my family name as Grantee. He wouldn't tell me exactly where this acreage is located. When he arrived at my door with the lease he offered 3 yrs paid up primary term @ $250 per net mineral acres with a two year option for an additional $250 and 1/6 royalty. By the way I don't live in Texas anymore. Any help would be appreciated.

Lee, I don't know much and am sure someone who really does know will reply but don't sign anything. Just showing up at your door sounds as fishy as it can get. Best of luck.

Doesn't smell right - the lease will have the entire acreage shown so if you own more, he will get it all leased even though he's only paid you a fraction. Mother Hubbard clause will also pick up additional acreage if any that you own adjoining the tract he presents. Recommend you have lease reviewed by a professional before considering.

If you'll give us the Abstract and Survey from the legal description, one of us will pull the TRRC map for you. That will show what's going on in the area.

Great - I appreciate all the help. It says: "Being 130 acres of land, more or less, being a part of the J.C. Stephens Survey, A-930, the L. Ramey Survey, A-636, and the M.E.P. & P.R.R. Co. Survey, A-520 and being more fully described in that certain Warranty Deed dated March 7, 1941 from Kenneth Yates and wife, Eva Mae Yates, as Grantor, to George Cornwell as Grantee, and recorded in Volume 242, Page 1 of the Deed Records of Montague County, Texas"

Do you think I should take the trip and go to the county?

Lee -Unless you know someone living on or near this land well enough for them to share their knowledge of activity and lease terms (bonus ranging right now from a low of $300 to a high of $1,000 per net mineral acre), you won't accomplish anything by making the trip. Call the Montague County Clerk and request a copy of the deed; they will pull it for you and mail it to you. There is a lot of EOG activity around and actually on these abstracts so it behooves you to identify your tract specifically (which can be done from a good legal description which will hopefully be on the deed). Comments won't let me post the extract of the TRRC Map but you can go to the website: http://wwwgisp.rrc.state.tx.us/GISViewer2/ - In the upper right hand corner put in the following number (which is the API # for a well on the property): 337-35248. This will bring up the right area of the map and you can zoom out to see all the laterals to the southeast aiming your way. The high end of the bonus numbers are for "oops, we missed leasing you and HAVE to have your interest" situations which do occur. Normal range right now in my experience is $300-500 and 22-23% RI. Terms of the lease are vitally important though and you need to retain a professional to assist in negotiating those. I wouldn't lease to a landman taking the lease in his name - reputable ones will be pushing a lease in the name of an operator.

To find out details of specific wells shown on the map, find the little "i" in a circle at the top of the TRRC map and click on "identify wells", then double click on the well (the circle or other symbol at the end of the line for a lateral). Remember to scroll down on the popup which opens up and you can see who the operator is, whether it's in production and what the production has been to date. If nothing opens, check your search engine bar and see if popups are being blocked and release them for this site. Good luck to you.

Postscript: If, per chance, you were to find yourself in the "Oops" category, do not accept a lease without talking to an attorney as you will be better off in many instances staying unleased. It's tricky though and depends on where your interest is in relation to the well (pad and lateral line).

Cannot thank you enough for all the information. I will be spending some quality time with your referred website. One more thing… Would having a lawyer in that area be preferable to someone outside Montague County? Regards Lee

Lee,

There are numerous vertical oil wells to the north of your minerals. There are also numerous horizontal oil and gas wells to the east, southeast, south and southwest of your minerals. The majority of these gas wells are shut in and not producing at this time because of low gas prices. The majority of these are EOG wells.

GIS Map of Montague Co. A-520, A-636 and A-930:

Clint Liles

Thank you for this information. It’s good to see an exact location.

Location makes little difference in selecting an attorney. I handle this kind of transaction all over the state. You will be well advised to locate an attorney who is Board Certified in Oil, Gas & Minerals by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization. You can search by that classification at the TBLS website: http://www.tbls.org/Directory/Attorney.aspx There are also a number of landmen on this forum who I believe also represent mineral owners in negotiating leases - many are very knowledgeable. Unfortunately I am in the midst of three large projects locating and transferring mineral interests at this time so I would not be able to take anything new on for awhile.

Hello, I am a Registered Professional Landman and I have helped many mineral and surface owners negotiate leases with EOG in Montague and surrounding counties over the past few years. Feel free to email me if you would like some help. rmarley@credibleenergy.net

Hello, I have a few questions about possible outcomes in the Turkey Creek area. I have land and rights there but feel some shady business has been going on for past few years. Anybody able to tell me about Sunoco?

Members need advice. My family owns 5% minerals in a 241 acre survey, we also own surface. EOG has leased all but us. What are my families options?

Mr. Cook, do you know what abstract you all own in? It will be listed on your tax bill. I would need to see what activity is in the area before I offer advice. Are you sure you own minerals and have the executive rights? Have you all signed leases in prior years? I can contact the EOG land group for that county once I know where you are.

James Davis:A-988, A-930 and A-936. Yes we own the minerals. We have never leased before and I have been approached for several years now to lease. EOG contract landman says I have until this friday to accept their offer.

Has anyone else noticed that in Montague County property tax records EOG’s profits - as a royalty owner - increased from 2013 to 2014 but all of us “fellow” royalty owners - in the same well - lost royalty revenues in 2014. (See www.isouthwestdata.com/Montague)