Montague County, TX - Oil & Gas Discussion archives

Looking for others in the Carter A Unit.

Any information regarding ownership and who is part of a well or unit can be found at http://www.isouthwestdata.com/client/webindex.aspx?dbkey=montaguecad&time=20139181423055. Search under your name, copy the legal description of your property and search on that to find all the owners involved in your particular well,

Thanks, Richard

In mid 2010 I received a phone call from a family member with news that we had inherited mineral rights on the land my grandfather had owned for over 60 years before his death in 1971. I was sent a 3 year lease with a sign-on bonus of $350.00. My relative and i decided that we would wait for a better offer. After dealing with 2 more land-men and finally speaking with a person working in the royalty dept of the oil company it looked like things were going to have a good outcome. In April of this year i was sent a ratification lease with an identical lease signed by my relative. I thought it was a good thing, so went ahead and signed and had it notarized in late April. I was even told by my relative how much i could expect for a sign-on bonus and royalties. The land-man he had been dealing with told him this. After they received my signed lease i was promised that a person in the royalty dept. would be in contact with me in a few days. I waited for almost 2 weeks and finally i ask my representative to call for me, in my presence, to find out what was happening. They told him that, because i had signed a ratification lease, that i would not be receiving royalties or any money from these wells. Could anyone shed some light on this for me? (by the way, even though i live in Canada, i am an American citizen.

1 Like

If you signed a Ratification of a Lease, you probably only own a nonparticipating interest (either mineral or royalty) and don't have an ownership in the bonus or other "sticks" in the bundle that makes up a total mineral interest. If that is the case, however, you will receive your share of royalties once the well is in production (subject to statutory delay periods). Your cousin may have the executive rights, as well as the bonus rights. It's a complicated matter to explain as whether or not to ratify in such a situation is greatly dependent on the proposed location of a well on the properties involved. You will need to consult with Texas counsel to determine the status of your interest and the payments you should receive. This does not constitute legal advice.

Thanks Virginia for sharing what you did. It was certainly the info I needed to move forward. It looks like things are coming together for me and I am now dealing with a person in the royalty dept, of EOG. They have been so vague through this whole process so can only hope that it will speed along from here. Just hoping they will be fair/honest re/royalties, etc. Thanks again.

Is it customary to NOT be paid condensate royalties on gas production from a gas well?

Susan, I've always been paid for it.

Hi Ann - would this have been from Pioneer?

Susan, no it's in other counties. I don't have any condensate (distillate) production in Montague County.

Thanks.

Condensate and NLG are two different things - If you are with Pioneer, this is what is on the description that the royalties are paid from:

#3 = NLG (by the barrel)

#4 = Condensate (by the barrel)

My friend who hauls water from wells said to check the stubs for condensate and that it was different from NLG. That is all I know. The stub seems to support what he told me.

Susan, again not in Montague County, I get paid by the gallon for NGL and it really mounts up. NGL is butane, propane & others. I've been told you could pour condensate right in your gas tank.

Received a request from an oil co to amend an existing pooling agreement where “…up to this point, all of these wells have been shallow, vertical producers”. And they would like to enlarge the pool so as to maximize lateral lengths to accompany horizontal wells. The amendment that was provided gives the history showing that the leases and pooling agreements was from almost 70 years ago.

It also says “Owner hereby adopts, ratifies and confirms the Pooling Agreement as herein amended and the oil and gas lease or leases described in the Pooling Agreement to which the Owner’s interest is subject and does hereby grant, lease and let all the Owner’s interest in the land covered by such lease or leases unto {oil company} …”

Could somebody tell me what they think when they read this?

Thanks

I suggest you do some research into what type of mineral interest you have and review the production records to be sure those old verticals haven't ceased production. A lot of old Montague County leases also were severed by depth and you may be ratifying a depth not otherwise covered by the lease in place. If you have a nonparticipating interest, the lateral line is not set up to cross any point of the property subject to your interest and all the existing leases/wells check out, you will need to ratify to participate in new production. If any of those things are not the case, you will want to review carefully BEFORE ratifying as you could be waiving very valuable rights. This does not constitute legal advice and the facts and circumstances of your transaction could go either way on whether to ratify.

Morning all. I'd like to know what the average lease bonus is in Montague. EOG has offered us $500/acre, 1/4, 3 years in the following surveys:

Fanning, McClyman, Perryman, Willis, Luckenbach, Box and sections 2821 & 2822 of TE&L co Surveys.

If you are near or in these surveys please advise as to your knowledge of lease bonus.

thank you

I received a strange letter from some company called JD Minerals. Only a PO Box with no physical address with a fake check offering money to buy my lease Isn’t there some kind if fraud protection for lease owners inTexas?

Recieved an offer today from West Bay Exploration for part of my right 134 acres in the North East Montague County. They are offering 100.00 per acre with 3/16 royalties for 3yr lease. Does anyone know if this is reasonable for the area? Also, any recommendations to a good oil and gas attorney. I live in TN so have no insight to the action in the area where my interest are located.

Jacob, Too low. Read through this thread and page to see what others have been getting.

Does anyone have experiance on what is typically paid for a buried pipeline across land aside from the lease bonus?