Locating Lease Agreements - L.A. County

Hello - Does anyone here know where I can find copies of Lease Agreements? I have an audit trail of the operators, the operator transfers, API’s and PLSS. When I asked the current operator, E & B Natural Resouces, they sent me the wrong leases and did not seem very helpful. I’m hoping there is somewhere I can look this info up online. Additionally, I spent five days at the Los Angeles County Register Office - Real Estate records and compiled a list of each Title Name, # of Doc, Date of Filing, Book, and Page Number on file for my Grandmother since 1944. I’m not sure if this info will be helpful in me locating the lease agreements, but if someone here knows the best route to take, I would greatly appreciate any advice you can give me.

I understand the leases should be filed with the recorder of deeds in the county where the minerals are located, but Is there a specific document they would be filed with? For example, I have a list of every Title Abbreviation associated with my grandmother’s name since 1944, along with the Grantor’s name, but it’s unclear to me which Document the lease agreements are filed with. I’ve attached a screengrab for visibility.

Hi tracyf:

You have done a lot of work. The leases would be under LSE or LSE ASGT. There are a few issues with finding recorded leases. First, they are not available online. So, you would to go back to the Recorder’s office to review them or ask for copies (which I believe you can ask for online). They mail them to you, however, and they may not be the right one. The other thing is that, depending on when the lease was recorded, it may have only been a short form lease, which is a document for recording purposes that informs the public that there is a lease but most of the salient provisions are not included. Thus, the recorded lease may not help you in your quest for a full copy of the lease. If it was recorded some time ago, however, it may be the full lease that was recorded. This is a tough process. You may wish to consult/hire a landman which is the title of a professional who conduct title searches. Such persons typically have online access to documents from services that they pay for and they know how to search documents at the Recorder’s offices. I hope this information helps.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.