Lewis County Collins Settlement minerals

Where do I start? Please help!

For many years my parents owned mineral rights to 2 parcels in the Lewis County, Collins Settlement. They are: 1/6 of 124 A COG W F River; and, 1/12 of 29 COG W F River

Both of my parents have been deceased for many years. My brother and I are Trustees of the trust/estate. Two years ago my brother suffered a severe traumatic brain injury and is pretty much incapable of having a discussion about this land and the mineral rights.

I have no idea where to begin to find out the value of these mineral rights. I vaguely remember a few years ago my brother hired a WV attorney to find out anout what we have at hand.

I cannot find any of his paperwork regarding who the attorney was or what he learned from the attorney. I also vaguely recall maybe 10 years ago we received a check from some company regarding the mineral rights leasing(?), but I have no idea from whom or anything more about this matter. I don’t know if this was a one time payment, or if we should have been receiving regular payments. I continue to pay the yearly property taxes for these 2 parcels.

Can anyone give me any guidance?

Lynda,

The most important thing you need to find out is:

1. Who was the most recent company to lease the property?

If you contact me privately, I can probably help point you in a few directions. While the descriptions are important, it would be helpful to have specific parcel and deedbook/page numbers from the tax tickets to help you. While public information, I wouldn’t suggest posting those on a public forum.

Hope this helps,

Rachel

Hi Rachel!

Thank you for your response, that I just now saw. Is what you need on the property tax bill? If not, then I will see what else I can find in the paperwork that my deceased mother left for my brothers and me. Mother passed away in 2012, and both of my brothers passed away this year (2021), which leaves me the sole surviving member of our family.

Regards, Lynda Smith King

Ms. King,

The property tax bill is a good place to start. If you could provide the names of your family members (privately), I could try to look up any leasing documents through the county courthouse for you.

With regards,

Rachel

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.