Leases In Eastern Fayette & Lavaca Counties

From the people getting offers from Santa Rosa by Moravia, they are in 115 Caruthers...others are in Jerimah brown 003....but the problem seems that others like Ross have already leased needed tracts....but operators usually work things out....

1 Like

WI, talked with another landman that gave a name to the prospect we are focusing on. He called it the Fish and the name came about due to the outline of the prospect, it resembles a fish. It will be interesting to see if your pins will eventually resemble a fish. This is the name of the prospect not the formation.

Someone told me that they and their neighbors have been offered $700/ac by Santa Rosa. http://www.santarosaenergy.net/ The area is on 532 west of 77 about a third of the way to 957. Anyone else heard about Santa Rosa leasing and if so where? I'm looking to put more yellow pins in my map.

Austin Chalk fever spreading...

http://tuscaloosatrend.blogspot.com/2017/05/austin-chalk-log-analyis-comparison.html

Kirk, it's really nice to have someone with technical insight post here. Thanks for the link. I also looked at your previous post here http://tuscaloosatrend.blogspot.com/2017/05/eog-returns-to-louisiana-expanding.html

In so far as south Fayette / north Lavaca is concerned, the word on this blog as well as the FSNN (Feed Store News Network) is that EOG leasing through Jeter had an 'our way or the highway' policy when it came to The Fine Print on their leases, which gave mineral owners much pause. In the meantime, other offers were made by GeoSouthern and Ross Exploration that were much more flexible on lease terms and actually paid more. Word had it that EOG got chapped and left and a search of Courthouse filings in both Fayette and Lavaca counties show that there have been no leases filed by either EOG or Jeter. I'm sure I speak for all who post/read here when I say that it would really be nice for EOG to still be interesting in our area and I'm wondering if you might have some other background information that would by helpful in that?

I'd also like some clarification on the Well Log Chart shown on your original link. Is it saying that the TOC value is higher in Fayette than in Karnes county but the formation is a little thinner? If yes, I don't know much about TOC but if it's better than Karnes County, I know what that means.

Again, thanks for posting here and don't be a stranger because we need all the help we can get.

1 Like

Let me try this again...I ended up starting a new discussion and meant only to post here. A broker I know told me about a website that sheds some light on what's going on out here - might help WI with his mapping. Check it out here: https://austinchalkoilgas.com/

Also heard from a pretty good source that Pallas Energy Services, LLC is in fact EOG.

Thanks! That's a great website. I see the first map shows the Sligo Reef, which is something that we used to talk about pretty often. Coincidentally, I've been talking with another poster about this very thing. More to come on this in another post. And you're correct; especially from the looks of the last map. Even though the map is focused a little to the NE of our area, the dark purple area looks pretty familiar.

1 Like

When I started messing around with Google Earth and the yellow lease pins on the map, the first thing that I noticed is the visible oil pads. Then the Sligo Reef was mentioned to me and I gave it my best shot to place the Sligo Reef on the same map. It's the red line.

Then I decided to look at those oil pads down to the SW and drew a line just to the north of them. That's about a 17 mile wide strip. So I just extended that strip to the NE using a green line.

So that everyone can easily see the pad sites, I've attached an enlarged map of the area to our SW. I've also attached a map showing the entire thing.

Now some of you naysayers may bring up the thingy called the San Marcos Arch and how that's bad and going right through our area of interest. I have to admit that I thought the same thing. However 'upon further review' it seems that the San Marcos Arch goes just about through Gonzales. So not only is it not in our area of interest, but since it goes through the middle of one of the best areas, I'm not sure that it's a detriment in the first place. Do your own research on this and let me know if I'm wrong.

Anyhow, this is the latest that I've come up with. Comments?

2883-17MilestoSligoLowerPortion.jpg (188 KB) 2884-17MilestoSligo.jpg (200 KB)
1 Like

Does anyone know what will happen to the 2 yr option left on the Penn Virginia leases located near the lavaca ,/ fayette county line off of hwy 95 or in the near by area, they expire in March. First rumor was Penn was not renewing them and there were offers of top leases going around, but now rumor has it that Penn V. will renew them. Any info would be appreciated.

Penn will pay the option for the leases made in Jan-April of 2015 if your tract is located with leases they have and can become a unit within the 2 years. They have also considered amending the 2 year option period to buy them more time, for more than the option money was for...and most of these leases had a 2 year option that was only $500/acre. But, you must be within around 3 miles east or west of their pressure boundary to get the option paid. But again, the 2015 leases were all made in this area.
However, the fayette/lavaca county line on 95 already has units. Penns Jake Berger and Sanchez Prost unit G. Most of this land is HBP, and some is orphaned (meaning that a tract, even with all or any remaining tracts bordering it is to small to make a unit).

Penn just leased all open tracts (except about 4 tracts that Delago jumped in on) to the east of Jake Berger or Highway 95 from the south side of the Sanchez Prost units to FM 532, where Devon has no HBP units....to almost all the way to FM 1295.

If your tract is in the J.Wilder or Mary Lewis Survey you are ok. this area looks to get a test drill end of this year. This is the area Penn leased the majority of the 1700 acres this year...the other leases around the Axis unit...Penn would not disclose this info in the conference call a couple of weeks ago, saying it is a secret.,,,but all you have to do is go to texasfile or the county and get this info....and when asked a question about what area/strata their new leases would be good in, the CEO said All, lower EF, upper EF and chalk. Good Luck !!

1 Like

EOG is the best unconventional operator in the biz at the moment. They do have their unique way of doing things.

Many factors come into play technically: TOC, porosity, permeability, brittleness, pressure, Gas/Oil ratio to name a few. It's not a simple "silver bullet" formula. Hence all of the R&D going on in all of the plays.

1 Like

here's a trend map:

http://tuscaloosatrend.blogspot.com/2017/05/austin-chalk-trend-fiel...

Thanks for those interesting maps WI ... I guess it will take better oil prices and time to tell if that 17 mile wide fairway continues on with numerous pads visible in future satellite pics ?

I consider myself as an amateur naysayer/agnostic regarding the San Marcos Arch effect and have scratched my head about it quite a few times.. but in addition to geo maps I've seen showing that SM Arch arrow go thru the sweet spots well south of us , there are also such maps that show it crossing thru Halletsville and the one that makes the most sense to me is one showing the arch arrow across upper Lavaca county ... Looking at isopach /EF thickness maps I can't help but wonder if the peak of the arch is not properly located on the Fayette/Lavaca line since Lower EF shale thins to < than 50' in an area ten miles on either side of the county line ... I've hoped that several of the people we know who have posted on this blog in the past are geologist and I always am in hopes one will share his knowledge on this San Marcos Arch location and an explanation of how it effects the mineral prospects nearby.

2880-LowerEFIsopach.pdf (1.2 MB)
1 Like

Kirk Barrell, what do the purple lines represent on this map?

Sorry i meant to say Penn V leases off of FM 1295 near lavaca / fayette county line

My mistake

1 Like

Hey RR nice to see you back on again.

Carbonate shelf edges: Fredericksburg and Sligo

Heard they are going to pay it at this point $500/acre, but you might get the offer to extend the lease further for an additional sum of money. I have not heard any amounts yet they are just talking about it....

Mr ML Thanks information and the good news