Help with expired lease

Hello Everyone,

I need to compose a Release of Lease letter to EQT. Can anyone provide an example of one? I’m not sure what information it should contain. Thank you for any help.

Here is an example from Oklahoma. Release of lease oklahoma686.pdf (7.1 KB) In the blank spot: Lessor: (the owner of the lease) Lessee: (the company that bought the lease) Dated: (Effective date of the lease) Recorded: (Book and page numbers) Description: (exact description that was on the lease including county and state and section, township and range aliquots)

Must be notarized and filed in the state and county courthouse.

Not saying that this will work in another state, but is an example.

Thank you M_Barnes for your response. I am looking for guidance on how to compose MY letter to EQT requesting they release my lease. The link you provided looks like a form that would be sent back to me to file in the county clerks office. In 2011 a 5 year lease was signed with a 5 year extension if in production. I was contacted a few months ago by a landman with another company wanting to purchase the mineral rights. He showed me the rights are still being held by EQT. Although we are not interested in selling, we would like to lease the rights again if there is an opportunity. I am not sure how to form MY request letter to EQT. Thanks for any additional help you can provide.

Ah, a slight difference, but essentially the same information. If you had no drilling in the five years and there is no production and no paperwork from EQT to renew for the second five years before the end of the first lease, then the lease expired under its own terms. You can draft a similar letter to EQT to release the lease and file a notarized release of lease in the courthouse. If they do not respond, then you can essentially file a similar letter at the courthouse for release a lease due to nonpayment of royalties or bonus (if the second term was supposed to have a bonus). WV may have its own release of lease form. Send any correspondence to EQT by certified mail return receipt and keep copies of everything. (Not giving legal advice…)

Thank you M_Barnes for your additional input. There was never production under the initial lease nor any contact by EQT to renew for an additional term. The lease was signed by my father in 2011 who passed in 2016. The rights were passed to my sisters and myself thru his Living Trust. I had dads Trust and death certificate recorded in Marion County,WV. I worked with Owner Relations at EQT to change ownership to the Trust. Not knowing anything about how all of this works, I just assumed the lease was still valid. One would think that while EQT was changing ownership from my father to the Trust, EQT would have informed me I didn’t need to because the lease was no longer valid. It wasn’t until recently, and being a member of this group, and understanding a bit more did I question whether the lease is still valid. The representative at EQT (owner relations) did tell me a few months back our area was still under “Operations” and had not moved over to Production. If the lease is no longer valid I would just like to open the minerals back up for lease if possible. Thank you so much for your help.

https://apps.dep.wv.gov/oog/wellsearch/wellsearch.cfm

One would think that the lease would certainly be over by now if no drilling. Check this link above to see if there are any wells close to you that might have included your acreage in their spacing. You may have to circle back with EQT for verification.

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.