Drilling Permits

I have a lease, how do I find out if a drilling permit exists?

Can you find your property on a map? If so, go to this website and zoom in and move around until you find your area. Otherwise it is a lot harder! Do you have a tax map / parcel number location? You can get a copy of the tax map from the Tyler county assessor’s office. See if you can get an index map of the whole county. Then go to the above website and see what you can find. You can watch the Weekly Reports from the WV Office of Oil and Gas. These will have new permits, by county, and most have a map showing the area.

1 Like

Not sure how it works in WV, but I work in the Minerals Dept of NYS DEC where NYS’s drilling permits are issued. Maybe you could call your regional office of the West Virginia Dept. of Environmental Protection’s Office of Oil and Gas and someone there could tell you.

Nancy, thank you so much; I do have a tax map number and the parcel numbers. I checked the map and see “new drilling” indicated with projected lines going thru our mineral rights property. Need more clarification from WV Environmental Protection.

I’m glad you found it Carl. Let me know if you need more ideas, or others can help. There are ways to tell if it is a permit for a future well or a currently producing one, or one drilled but not producing yet.

D - thanks for the info; have a call into WV Office of Environmental Protection.