Doddridge County, WV - Oil & Gas Discussion archives

Has anyone dealt with Arsenal or Mar Key, LLC? We got an offer to purchase our interest in mineral rights in Barbour Co. Property is 208 acres, in which we have an interest of 1.5 acres. They are offering $900, which seems a little low. Any info would be greatly appreciated. We already posted on Barbour Co. forum, but their last posting was in 2016. They only appear to have 5 members. Thought I would check on other forums to try to get some info. Thanks.

Not many posts on the Barbour Co. forum, but there was one from attorney, Kyle Nuttall, who we sent a message to today. Hoping he will respond. Actually, there hadn’t been post since 2015. I don’t think anyone used it anymore.

Hi everyone, Haven't been on here for awhile. My Mother has started receiving checks, but it's barely nothing. Her brother signed before seeing an attorney, so please, make sure you see an attorney to negotiate rates, etc before signing. Also, I have lost the website from the county assessor's office, could someone be so kind and throw me a link? TY.

Cyn W.

Cindy Wofe, here is Link to Doddridge online records

from the County Clerk's office.

Here is the Doddridge Sheriff's tax Office site

If you mean the Assessor's office, I don't have a link for that.

Hey guys, haven't been on a for a while but the cousins and I just received something interesting. Actually, to me it looks like an attempt at legalized fraud. Mineral rights we didn't know we had went delinquent and were sold in a sheriff's sale. The original delinquency was $95.72. Taxes were $4.79. Then they charged $1,938 for title costs and $5,783.73 for statutory costs for a grand total of $7,822 on an original $100 bill. We have until March 31 to redeem it. Since there are several people on it, I could see the title costs but statutory costs of almost $6,000? I assume that is running it in a newspaper? I work for a newspaper and I wish we got that much for notices...I am sending this on to your state's attorney general's office. It seems to me just a way for municipalities to pad their funds while helping local people steal mineral rights from out-of-state people. It is amusing to me that they couldn't find my cousin when it first went delinquent, but were easily able to find her with this notice.

Tammy,

You will find the redemption process now goes through the WV Auditor's Office and is NOT handled on the local level, allowing "municipalities to pad their funds". If you go to the Auditor's website, you will find the specific detailed charges associated with redeeming the parcel in question.

Additionally, neither the County or the State has an obligation to find you when taxes first go delinquent, it was the buyer of the lien that performed the due diligence to locate the heirs or anyone else with any possible interest. Before you make judgment as to them getting rich in the process, State Law limits that expense (Legal Fees) to 300.00 / parcel.

Lastly, "steal mineral rights" seems a bit harsh. 1. Whose obligation is it to pay taxes? The owner. 2. The listing of delinquent taxes is published at least four times in the local papers to notify anyone that they are past due. 3. It has been 14 months since the lien was sold, obviously you and your cousin have not had any interest in paying the taxes.

Folks didn't mean to upset you but please understand we have been checking. The first time I ran into this was with my mother, killed in a car wreck, brain damaged step-dad. Everything went through the court for two years. Checking other records and ran across her piece being sold for not paying taxes several years after her death. Checked. She paid taxes until one month before the wreck. Checked with the court. No tax bill was ever received by them. The probate judge told me I could reopen probate. Not knowing what I would be getting into, I chose not to. We as a family are apparently related to a bunch of people who left bits and pieces everywhere. We keep getting this little surprises. And we are trying to find the information. I am glad it is with the auditor now, but how about putting everything on the auditors website including the heirs and other pertinent information on the a special auditor's website, charge $25 bucks a hit to type your name in and see if you are listed. I know the person buying the property is responsible for finding heirs, but that just proves its tilted against the out of staters. Finding out you owe $8,000 to redeem something one month before its due...really. Give the ones of us who do research a fighting chance or if the effort is too much make it a law to do away mineral right ownership after a certain number of years. My name was not on this and I had not heard of this particular man until I received the letter. I've got a cousin searching the walls to find what her mother with alzheimers may have hidden. This is not the same as a regular tax sale and you know it. Tracing these relatives is a full-time job.

Tammy,

I will simply state that we will agree to disagree. This is a regular tax sale, it is very open and notices are made public for more than 18 months.

I do not know where you are being charged "$25 bucks a hit", but https://www.wvsao.gov/ is the WV Auditor's website and you are able to research the tax sales for FREE. Additionally, the staff at the Auditor's Office is extremely friendly and helpful, are exceptionally good about providing assistance via the telephone.

I am sorry you feel as if you have been slighted, that you are being treated unfairly, but there are responsibilities associated with executing an estate. There is a lot of responsibility associated in planning one's own estate and advising heirs.

I too live out of State, but know of my families legacy of mineral ownership, keep detailed records and have contacted the various WV Counties when a tax bill is not received to request a duplicate, insuring my parcels are not auctioned for lack of payment.

My question to you is: When is it not the fault of someone else, when is it the fault of whoever probated the estate or the heir(s) that failed to pay the outstanding tax liability?

West Virginia has not created some type of conspiracy to enrich the locals and rip off anyone from out of State. Additionally, you are welcome to attend a tax auction in any WV County, the sales are extremely well published and the sales listing is available for a minimum of four weeks prior to the sale. I am curious what you would suggest the State do to make the auctions less unfair as you have deemed them to be.

Good luck with your future endeavors.

John,

Who is responsible? Is the County responsible to keep track of the thousands of land owners that move each year, or is the land owner responsible for knowing they have a yearly liability that they must pay?

I guarantee Ford Motor Credit would not hesitate to repossess to my truck if I moved and did not notify them. They would not accept the excuse of "You should have found me to send me the bill, you failed to use Address Correction Service, therefore I do not owe my payment."

I'm not saying the auditor's office is charging $25. I'm suggesting they start a website with all of the information including names of heirs that can be looked at for a fee. Besides newspapers for the locals, provide info on the website for out of staters but at a fee. The state makes money. The out-of-staters have one clearinghouse place to look for their names in conjunction with these sales.

We have an offer to renew a lease from 5 years ago with Antero. I would like to know what is a reasonable bonus to ask for as well as royalty percent before I call. Thanks in advance!

Stephanie,

There are many variables in play, where is the parcel, what is the net mineral acreage, etc. If you can share that information, the insight you receive will be more specific to your situation.

Thanks, WV. The acreage is about .58 on Sycamore Fork, near the Harrison/Doddridge line.

Stephanie,

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but with that small of an interest and being so far East, you will not receive much.

Many will suggest you hold out for 5,000.00 / NMA and a 20% royalty, but I suspect you will be offered $500.00 and 15% royalty, which I would accept if I were in your shoes. If the offer was significantly higher 5 years ago, you can request the same terms as the original Lease.

Good Luck

Thanks, WV. The lady at Antero was very quick to pacify me at $2000 /nma and 16%, without really asking the first time I called... which makes me wonder if I ask for more, seriously and more officially this time, might I get it?

Hello all!

Haven't been on here in a while. A family member of mine noticed some codes on our payment printouts, from Antero, and was wondering what they mean. Codes like, CMR1 and so forth with amounts after them. I know they are deductions, but does anyone know what some of these codes actually stand for?

replying to Jim Greaver - I sent off a letter requesting all the codes on the

Antero payment printouts. CMR1 stands for Antero Midstream Compression

Charge.

COM1 is compression charge paid to an outside party that invoices Antero GTH3 Antero Midsteam Gathering Charge, GTH4 Gathering charge paid to an outside party that invoices Antero. PRC2 Processing Fees for Plant Products, STB Oil Stabilization Charge TRE Treating Charges, TRN Transportation charge paid to an outside party that invoices Antero, TRN1 Transportation charge paid to an outside party, netted from a payment to Antero, TRT Nitrogen Treating Charges, EXT Extraction expense (by third party), FUL4 Fuel, Loss and unaccounted, FUL4M Fuel, Loss and Unaccounted Margellus wells, FUL4U Fuel, Loss and Unaccounted Utica Wells.

1 Like

Thank you Carol!

Reading through the comments I see the "problem" I mentioned in regards to Antero a year back. Antero APPROACHED ME wanting to buy my rights even though I never offer the rights to any one, nor had I even considered the sale of my rights the rights as I did not know I was a part owner of the property. By reading the contract NOT with $$$ signs blinding me I quickly noticed that Antero was trying to get me to pay for the expense of the physical well and expenses of running the well, transporting, and storage of the gas. I still have no reason to want the gas brought to the surface to be sold.

Why should I pay Antero's costs!!! They wanted the resource, the expenses are all theirs, not mine.

RCR 3/10/2018