Doddridge County, WV - Oil & Gas Discussion archives

Thank you Kyle for all the great information it's

very much appreciated.

Gary: What district? 1500.00 is now low, and do not settle for anything less than 15% Royalty. Two years ago I was getting the 12.5 and 800, but now things have changed considerably. The last lease I signed ( In Aug of this yr) I negotiated for 17% Royalty and $1800 an ac. some people are getting more. The key in negotiating now is to do exactly what your are doing, ASK AROUND. GOOD LUCK.

Hi Arnold,

The land is in West Union, Wva. I wanted to thank you for the information. It was very helpful.

Regards

Gary

To me, it has been very slow the past couple of months, anyone signing any leases in Doddridge County??

Regina, yes you can ask for a $ per acre bonus for amending a lease.

Your cousins who have already signed can’t do any more, I believe, but those who have not yet signed can ask for a higher royalty, maybe in the form of a 1/16 or 1/32 overriding royalty (this comes out of the company’s part, not another royalty owner). Ask for more, may have to settle for less.

It is always a good idea to have an attorney review leases and lease modifications, anything you will sign. I found this out the hard way.

My cousins and I have been asked to amend two leases to include pooling. Some of us have already sent in our signed amendments. Can the cousins that have not yet returned the signed paperwork negotiate higher royalties for all of us (or themselves)?

Also, I’m a little concerned with the clause that says they can choose to reduce, enlarge or modify the size of the pool at any time. The royalties would then be based upon the adjusted acreage. Is this a typical clause?

Also can we ask for a $ per acre bonus since these are old leases just being amended?

I have 1/2 interest in gas & oil royalty on a well in Doddridge County, this well is a vertical well and has been producing for a number of yrs. It has come to my attention that another company will drill this well deeper( horizontal), my question is -will the proceeds go to the original driller or will I continue to receive my 1/2 interest for vertical as well as horizontal, and whom will the check come from, the original driller or the one doing the horizontal?? I would think that I should continue to receive royalty checks for horizontal, but need clarification.

Arnold

You’ll still get royalties on your 1/2 interest. Royalties for the horizontal well will come from whoever develops it. The royalties from the vertical well will probably still come from whoever is making those payments now, unless they sold all their interest to the new developer. The landman for the horizontal well developer should be able to explain this to you.

Hi! I was notified back in March by Antero that they were interested in acquiring an oil and gas lease for a track of land in the New Milton District, on the waters of Brushy Fork. 105 acres that our great grandfather owned. The lease stated it was for 5 years (paid-up) lease. Lease bonus was for 1200.00 flare rate for .97345 acres and 15% royalty’s on all production. There are 30 of us that share the 105 acres. We all signed with no negotiations except for my sister and she just penciled in on her lease that she wanted 800 more and they came back and gave her 500 more. To bad we all didn’t know at the time we could do it :slight_smile: Now in November they sent us an amendment saying that the map/parcel number and acreage in the land description was incorrect and it should be 115 acres and parcels 35&36. Instead of 105 acres and parcel 35. All o my family have signed the amendment except for me and my 2 sisters. Antero contacted my aunt and said we were holding up drilling. I was thinking that we should have asked for more money since they were adding acres. A couple of people on here said I should ask for more but i am not sure If I should call the man from antero ( Robert smith) of should I send a letter requesting more money per acre? Just not sure how to go about it. Also I am from Arizona and I was wondering if there is anyone in the area that knows how the drilling is going and if they are getting any (oil,gas) in that area? Thanks!

I recomend William Leon in Morgantown WVA.

Hi Gary,

You can do better than $800.00 please be careful, and do your research, which looks like this is a good start. First of all consult with a reputable lawyer, before signing.

Hello, my great great grand father owned 69 acres in doddridge county that was left to his Starkey Family Heirs. Recently Antero Resources has sent all 23 heirs lease agreements. Here is his breakdown that he emailed me. Shawn, Here is a breakdown of the interest of Jennings Starkey Heirs. Jennings 1/55 had 5 children =1/275 Mary Evelyn (Starkey) Albertson- 1/275 x 4 children = 1/1100 = 0.1511 net acres Vesta Eileen (Starkey) Frantz- 1/275 x 10 children = 1/2750 = 0.06045 net acres Elmer J. Starkey- 1/275 x 9 children = 1/2475 = 0.0672 net acres Clara Starkey- 1/275 Living Juanita Jean (Starkey) Rentschler- 1/275 Living Sincerely, Chuck Robinson- Contract Landman Antero Resources Bluestone LLC 304-869-3405 Im curious as too why Jennings is not a whole owner and why he uses a fraction of 1/55 to calculate. The lease is totally in favor of them paid in full for 5 years. I can also post it if anyone likes. The first line is the only place were money is involved of a sum of $10 good and valuable consideration for lease of land for exploring, drilling surveys. Which means total robbery in my opinion. I know people in pa were I reside recieve $2500-$5000 an acre for this type of lease. He says they pay $1000. He also said its only 3 net acres and its split between 23 family heirs. I called the doddridge clerk of courts she told me to come down and id find out in the paper files how much is owned and more of this will be defined for me. Shawn Starkey

To Paul Jerrett: It is worth a lot more than $1 for that. I have heard of $1500 to $1800 or more per acre for pooling modifications. Also when signing anything related to the oil and gas industry is is best to have an oil and gas attorney review it. (I learned this the hard way!) The industry, of course, wants what is best for itself. Therefore the royalty owner needs to look out for his or her own interests.

I think the Doddridge area is one of the more desirable areas now, don’t know particulars. Anyway worth a lot more than $1. Good luck.

We’ve just received a request from Antero for a modification to the oil and gas lease. They are offering $1.00 to modify with a Pooling Clause. Advise please.

Thank You Nancy;

We will consult with an attorney.

Follow up; Met with attorney. Definitely the right move. Read everything I could and then put it in Cynthia Loomis’ hands.Going to negotiate a higher royalty…12 1/2 present to hopefully 15 to 16%. Her experience with the signing bonus with Antero, in that it’s a pooling modification and not a new lease, is quite a bit lower. $400 or so per acre.

Hello, I own almost 21 acres in Doddridge County. I am in a 5 yr oil and gas lease agreement which was signed approx 1.5 yrs ago. Our agreement consisted of a payment of $1250/acre with 14% interest. Can anyone fill me in to how all this actually works? If and when the company drills a producing well, how and when do they notify you? Like I said we signed the lease 1 1/2 yrs ago i got my initial payment for the lease but have NOT heard ANYTHING from the company. I call and all I get is the voicemail. Left messages and no call backs. Are they required to let me know how the production is going and so forth? I would like to know how many wells they have drilled and if any are successful! ANY feedback would be greatly appreciated:)

Also how do I know for sure if I am just surface owner, mineral owner or both???

Nicole, about knowing if you are surface owner or mineral owner, you must be a mineral owner since they had you sign a lease. What does the tax ticket say for your property? If it says O&G or OGM or Minerals, you have some type of mineral interest. If it says Surface or Sur, it is just surface. If it says Fee, or just gives acreage and some location, it includes both (probably).

Do you have a deed, or did you inherit this? You might need to go to the courthouse and see what you can find.