Dawson County, TX - Oil & Gas Discussion archives

Thanks so much, Willard, for your reply. We have contacted a oil & gas lawyer who is in the process of researching our family “flow chart” (for lack of a better word). He is heading to Lamesa & will be filing the appropriate documents, etc. As it turns out, he had the same experience I had when trying to find info on line. It seems that many small towns, like Lamesa, do not have on line files back any further that the 1990’s. That’s why I could never find anything. So, he’s actually going to Lamesa to do the research needed to get things into mine & my sister’s names. I could do this myself but decided that I’d take the sure, legal, experienced way of using a lawyer. He will also negotiate any offers we receive regarding these rights. Before he took the bar exam & had his license, he was a landman out of college. He’s got about 20 years of O&G experience in both TX & NM. We have to pay, of course, but it will be done & recorded in the right places.

Has anybody ever successfully protested the outrageous property tax on your mineral rights in Dawson County.

I know that under Norma %^$&(*& Brock it was useless. Looks like we finally got rid of her but my taxes are off the scale this year.

Anybody have any idea of who to turn to to protest this?

Nothing quite like aiding and abetting the huge number of illegal alien criminals in Dawson County with our property taxes.

Any input you may have would be greatly appreciated.

Is there a property tax protest service for Dawson County?

Ronnie - maybe this will help - scroll down for Appeals. Good luck!

http://dawsoncounty.org/departments/dawson-county-board-of-tax-asse…

Paige that link goes to Dawson County Georgia.

Dawson County Texas Tax Protest is what I’m hunting for.

In Texas, the county appraisal districts do not determine the value of the well(s) in which you own a mineral interest. The Dawson County site (under FAQ for royalty owners tab), Question 17 - How was my property value determined - explains in detail the method that Pritchard & Abbott uses to determine the well value. Way too long to copy here. The value is the apportioned among the Working Interests and Royalty Interests by their decimal interest. To get the well value changed, the operator must protest to and work with the appraisers at Pritchard & Abbott. In my experience, operators go through this protest process very rarely. The appraisal district is not able to reduce the total well value for any one royalty owner. This is very different process from protesting surface and home values, as an individual tract or house is unique in terms of location, condition and size. Well(s) are the same for all owners. It is unfair to blame the tax assessor.

Thank you Paige

Apparently I was incorrect Norma Brock is still listed.

This is a bad thing.

Thank you TennisDaze

reply message on your profile

Has anyone with mineral rights in Dawson County had a offer from an outfit called Pony Oil to buy out your rights in the past few days or weeks? My siblings and I have been approached by a land man from them to sell. (Believe we’ll just hang on to ours, thank you).

For some reason oil co only are interested in buying not leasing in Dawson Co, I think they want to buy to just sit on them, DO NOT SALE, unless you just have to have the money, I have 2 areas for lease and have not had any offers in a year to lease, but a few to buy, we will never sale I don’t think leases will return to Dawson until 58/60 oil.

Thanks again John. I was able to find it online (although I will also order a set of maps).

Robert, we also got an unsolicited offer for our mineral rights by this company. Are things picking up in Dawson Co? What is the going rate for mineral rights acres to sell in Dawson Co? Who should we turn to for information?

Willard, we haven’t had any problem in keeping ours leased, but this was the first offer to buy we’ve had. I’m wondering if certain parts of Dawson County are looked at differently, in terms of drilling potentail… than other quadrants might be. Where in Dawson County are yours located? I’m not sure which part of the county ours are in. They are in a part of Dawson that is also labeled "Loving County School Lands ". Do you know of an online site where I can go to locate a map of just where our Labor, League, and Abstract #s are at in the county?

Robert, you can order large survey maps from the General Land Office in Austin. Their numbers is 1-800 998-4456 and the last I purchased was $15 each. They are well worth it. John

Thanks so much John. I appreciate it.

I bought one of those maps they are nice, well worth the money fast shipping

Carol,

how many Acres? with the price of oil where it is I think 250 is a ok amount, the 25% is very good and the 2 years is unheard of, if it was me I would counter with 22.5% at 300 per, but like I said it is a good offer I have 2 areas of land in Dawson not leased and I am going to contact them myself, they are brand new CO and are looking to get their foot in the door.

We received an offer from Ajax Resources to lease minerals in League 271, Loving County School Lands for 2 years for $250 per acer and 25% Lease Royalty. The offer expires 30 days from the date of the offer. Fair deal?

The offer from Ajax is on about 650 acres. In addition to the 2 year lease is a renewal option within 2 years for another $250 per acre.