Contacts for Lynn County Leasing

I contacted David Meaux (Coastal Land Services) back in February of this year regarding leasing my Mom's rights in Lynn County. We verbally agreed to terms, but have had no success in getting David to proceed. He indicated today that it could still be months or even a year out. It is obvious that he has no real interest in leasing. I would like to have some individual or company names and contact info to start this thing over after wasting my time with Mr. Meaux. I do not live in that area and have little knowledge of the level of activity still going on. THANKS!

Rich Copeland

Hi Rich,

I'm working with David on our leases, and admit that Coastal's been VERY slow in getting the title work done, and I've had to correct their mistakes or clear up questions they have about the title chain (lesson for anyone - VERY carefully check anything you're sent from ANYone!). Based on conversations, it seems they're swamped with what they're working on now, so perhaps they just don't have the bandwidth to take on anything new?

My understanding is that Shell has 3 different companies assigned to get leases in different areas of the county - Coastal, Threshold, and Acadia (Arcadia?).

I also was told week before last that leasing activity is slowing down in Lynn Co. -- typical of the ebb and flow we saw last year. The frenzy of landmen is down to a comparative trickle. But if some good drilling results come in, I'd bet it will pick back up!

From what I heard at the NARO convention last week, this 'boom' isn't going away - predictions are that the northern Permian Basin will surpass Prudhoe Bay, with possibly 15 Billion barrels of oil.

The guy I have been talking to at Coastal is Jon Duffy (Coastal is broker for Shell, or aka SWEPI, LP.)

The other company is Caffey Group. Those are some I have talked with. There are others out there too.

Paige is so right--check everything, every word and make sure you have someone help you with your

lease. Do not sign anything that you get from them. It is not in your best interest. I also went to the NARO

convention and learned so much. The Lynn/Terry area "boom" is just beginning! Please share any info that

have! Good Luck!!

Swepi has most of my family's mineral rights in both Dawson and Lynn Counties. Are they active in either county at the present time?

M. Johnston

M Klingman said:

The guy I have been talking to at Coastal is Jon Duffy (Coastal is broker for Shell, or aka SWEPI, LP.)

The other company is Caffey Group. Those are some I have talked with. There are others out there too.

Paige is so right--check everything, every word and make sure you have someone help you with your

lease. Do not sign anything that you get from them. It is not in your best interest. I also went to the NARO

convention and learned so much. The Lynn/Terry area "boom" is just beginning! Please share any info that

have! Good Luck!!

Mary,

Shell Western E&P (SWEPI) has only one approved permit in the area - they're drilling just north of the Tahoka-Brownfield hwy - a few miles east of the county line. You can see the rig from the highway. Permit last Nov. for vertical well to 13,000 ft. API # 305-30516 on RRC website. Nothing approved in Dawson County since 1/1/2010.

Paige

mary Johnston said:

Swepi has most of my family's mineral rights in both Dawson and Lynn Counties. Are they active in either county at the present time?

M. Johnston

M Klingman said:

have! Good Luck!!

Thanks Paige for the information!

Paige Johnston said:

Mary,

Shell Western E&P (SWEPI) has only one approved permit in the area - they're drilling just north of the Tahoka-Brownfield hwy - a few miles east of the county line. You can see the rig from the highway. Permit last Nov. for vertical well to 13,000 ft. API # 305-30516 on RRC website. Nothing approved in Dawson County since 1/1/2010.

Paige

mary Johnston said:

M. Johnston

M Klingman said:

have! Good Luck!!

Thanks, Paige!!

Paige Johnston said:

Hi Rich,

I'm working with David on our leases, and admit that Coastal's been VERY slow in getting the title work done, and I've had to correct their mistakes or clear up questions they have about the title chain (lesson for anyone - VERY carefully check anything you're sent from ANYone!). Based on conversations, it seems they're swamped with what they're working on now, so perhaps they just don't have the bandwidth to take on anything new?

My understanding is that Shell has 3 different companies assigned to get leases in different areas of the county - Coastal, Threshold, and Acadia (Arcadia?).

I also was told week before last that leasing activity is slowing down in Lynn Co. -- typical of the ebb and flow we saw last year. The frenzy of landmen is down to a comparative trickle. But if some good drilling results come in, I'd bet it will pick back up!

From what I heard at the NARO convention last week, this 'boom' isn't going away - predictions are that the northern Permian Basin will surpass Prudhoe Bay, with possibly 15 Billion barrels of oil.

Okay, this is not a slander toward Coastal, but, they contacted me wanting to lease land that had already been leased months earlier. I get the feeling that they are somewhat overwhelmed, and when you get overwhelmed, you make clerical errors etc. Again, not a slander, just a report of my experience with them.

Thanks, Robert! Yes, I am not impressed with Coastal at all; their investor relations leave a lot to be desired, and from other things I have read, their work (lease contracts, etc) are of pretty poor quality as to errors and mistakes. Thanks, again for your response. I am continuing to look elsewhere for companies that are currently leasing in that area.

Rich Copeland

Robert Tilden said:

Okay, this is not a slander toward Coastal, but, they contacted me wanting to lease land that had already been leased months earlier. I get the feeling that they are somewhat overwhelmed, and when you get overwhelmed, you make clerical errors etc. Again, not a slander, just a report of my experience with them.

Has anyone had any lease offers or heard of leasing activity picking back up in Lynn county? Any advice on which companies to contact is appreciated. I have 480 acres coming out of a 5 year lease with no option to renew with murchison, the legal is w 1/2 and se 1/4 of section 3, hh ob survey. I leased other mineral acreage neighboring this section with shell in October of 2011. News/rumors have been quiet in Lynn county for some time now so seeing if anyone knows anything.

A landman involved in the last round of leasing told me a couple of days ago that his firm had been retained to start leasing again in Lynn County soon. He said offers would be lower than a couple of years ago because there was no competition now. I don't have any more details on who is leasing or where. For what it's worth.... Will post if I hear more.

Hi Josh. What I have heard is that the disappointing results in the past couple of years in Terry county have dampened the optimism the companies had for Terry, Hockley, and Lynn counties. I have heard that in 2008 or 2009, the geologists thought that with this new technology of fracking, that the companies could go into these formations and extract wells producing 200 plus bpd, just like in the Eagle Ford Shale. Sadly, it has not panned out so the oil companies are leaving West Texas for greener pastures, like New Mexico. One company supposedly drilled 10 wells the past year in Terry county and the combined output of the 10 wells was 100 bpd.

Thanks for the info Steve and Robert, 3 completions were filed for Lynn county this month with 24 hr tests 78bpd, 162bpd, and 195bpd...thats the best news I've seen...but there is only 1 new app to drill this month in Lynn county. Time will tell...Steve, who is your friend a landman with if its ok to say?