Cold call for minerals

Hoping someone can point us in the right direction…

We recently received a cold call to sell our mineral rights in Issac Creek, Harrison County WV. We don’t get much from royalties and we’re interested to see if the rights are worth selling.

Can anyone give us details of someone who we can contact to look at options to possibly sell or get information about land and our royalties

Any assistance is appreciated ! Jason

Hi Jason - I’m a mineral investor, so can give you some color from my perspective. Some more details about your minerals would help here, like who owns the current lease, how big the interest is, and if that lease is held by existing producing well or is subject to a term lease. The area you list is not exactly a hotbed of activity, so you’re not likely to get a really strong offer relative to other parts of the play in WV.

As far as selling, it’s always a personal decision. The company trying to buy your minerals is trying to buy them at a price they feel below the minerals long term value. They are a business and have to make money, so they have to make good investments. That’s not always the case though as there have been lots of examples of mineral owners that made money selling and the mineral buying company overpaid. I would say unless this company is doing bad business, then your minerals will likely be worth more in the future as drilling moves into your area, it just comes down to if you want to sell now or not. If the ownership is small, and it’s a headache to keep track of, I think it makes sense to sell. If it’s a large ownership, you have to weigh the pros and cons of selling now vs. hoping for drilling activity and/or selling for more later. Other things can help in selling such as settling an estate, or if you have a better investment than waiting for these minerals to increase in value.

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.