Buying and Selling Minerals

The last few editions of our local newspaper have two small ads for companies/individuals wanting to buy mineral interests. One of them offers $2,000+ an acre.

Wow. That's means somebody is pretty optimistic about how all this turns out. And they hope someone prefers a bird in hand.

To state the obvious, I hope any potential seller understands the difference between selling mineral interests and leasing them.

That is great,..I hope so too Clay

Wow, again.

Yep. We have had a few phone calls. I politely say "No thanks". One man got kind of pushy. I said "Do you really think we would want to sell now? After many years when owning property has not been real profitable, and now it could be?" He said, "You wouldn't have to sell all your mineral rights, just a portion."

Then he took another approach. "I really would like to talk to Mr. Everett." So I put Mr. Everett on the phone, with a smile. To my surprise, Mr. Everett said, "Sure, anything I have is for sale, send us an offer!", and winked at me.....

Silly Mr. Everett.....We never got the packet with the gentleman's offer. Guess he figured it out.

Toni Everett said:

Yep. We have had a few phone calls. I politely say "No thanks". One man got kind of pushy. I said "Do you really think we would want to sell now? After many years when owning property has not been real profitable, and now it could be?" He said, "You wouldn't have to sell all your mineral rights, just a portion."

Then he took another approach. "I really would like to talk to Mr. Everett." So I put Mr. Everett on the phone, with a smile. To my surprise, Mr. Everett said, "Sure, anything I have is for sale, send us an offer!", and winked at me.....

Silly Mr. Everett.....We never got the packet with the gentleman's offer. Guess he figured it out.

Clay Strange said:

Wow. That's means somebody is pretty optimistic about how all this turns out. And they hope someone prefers a bird in hand.

To state the obvious, I hope any potential seller understands the difference between selling mineral interests and leasing them.

Two offers have arrived in the mail recently. As Bob May said all his life, "Never SELL a mineral interest."

DAVID LITTLE said:

Helen Byrd May Ledgerwood said:

Two offers have arrived in the mail recently. As Bob May said all his life, "Never SELL a mineral interest."

David, Your posts to the discussion aren't coming through, at least not on my computer.

Is that $2,000/acre for sale or lease. What's the royalty %. I'm next door in Howard County... just south of Big Spring. Have you heard anything there?

thanks.

Jack, I think it meant they were willing to pay $2,000 per acre of net mineral acres. Not surface ownership, just to acquire mineral ownership.

I don't know anything about Howard County's oil and gas activity. Toni

10-4. so they are buying the minerals rather than leasing.

The oil and gas companies have been and some still are leasing from individuals. However, there are people who don't presently have mineral ownership, or would like to acquire more net mineral acreage, so they offer to buy what someone else presently has, or even a portion of it. If this Cline Shale field turns out to be as large as some of the articles say it is, people are willing to pay that much $$ just to get in on it, thinking they will get a nice return on their investment over the next few years or as long as the field produces.

10-4... so they are buying minerals for $2,000/acre... not leasing. I have no plans to ever sell my minerals. thanks

"IF" projections of Devon Energy are true and there are 3.6 million barrels of recoverable oil per section, then at todays market value for oil, a 20% royalty interest would be worth over 100K per acre. The speculators are trying to pick up unsuspecting mineral rights owner`s assests at pennies on the dollar. But I`m not a mathmatician so what do I know. I`m just an old worn out dirt farmer and ex crop duster pilot.

but you're a smart worn out dirt farmer and ex crop duster! thanks for the ciphering!

jhh

j richardson said:

"IF" projections of Devon Energy are true and there are 3.6 million barrels of recoverable oil per section, then at todays market value for oil, a 20% royalty interest would be worth over 100K per acre. The speculators are trying to pick up unsuspecting mineral rights owner`s assests at pennies on the dollar. But I`m not a mathmatician so what do I know. I`m just an old worn out dirt farmer and ex crop duster pilot.

I've recently been offered $3000 per acre to sell half of my 240 net mineral acres. At my old age, I'm seriously considering selling.

It’s anyone’s business to sell their interest but do you not have family that could have some benefit of keeping your minerals?

Toni... I'm asking if they are paying $2,000/acre as a LEASE BONUS or paying $2,000/acre to PURCHASE the minerals. thanks jhh

Toni Everett said:

The oil and gas companies have been and some still are leasing from individuals. However, there are people who don't presently have mineral ownership, or would like to acquire more net mineral acreage, so they offer to buy what someone else presently has, or even a portion of it. If this Cline Shale field turns out to be as large as some of the articles say it is, people are willing to pay that much $$ just to get in on it, thinking they will get a nice return on their investment over the next few years or as long as the field produces.