Asserting Ownership to Mineral Rights

I and my siblings have been approached by a company to purchase our mineral rights to some property in Marshall county left us by a direct ancestor. Their letter states we would have a 1.25% interest in the oil or gas. We’ve not been give any parcel information so we don’t know how much property is involved.

I would like to assert my ownership of the mineral rights without selling them. What would be easiest way to do this, as I don’t live in the state.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Hello and welcome to the forum. You might start by doing a search on the Marshall County, WV on line documents site http://129.71.117.225. Select the Individual menu and enter your direct ancestor’s name and see what comes up relative to property descriptions and tax records that might help identify parcel numbers and District locations. Then you can try the Marshall Co GIS site to locate parcels on a map presentation. We have mineral interests in Marshall Co also and are out of state and have used the links mentioned above to do research on our parcels. Good luck.

Thanks. Have been all over those sites (which I got via this site a couple of days ago) and they have been very informative. I’ve asked the company that wants to buy my mineral rights where the property is, but haven’t heard back from them yet.

I’d definitely see if you could talk to someone about it. I know in the past I’ve contacted Nick Criado from AMCO and he’s been very helpful - wont run title for your but they have helped me with understanding some title and even help located parcels. If you want his info you can PM me

Thanks Khaled. My distant relative had a few parcels of property so I’m not sure which plot this company is interested in buying the mineral rights to. Just waiting for this information before looking further into this. I really don’t want to sell if there’s an affordable way to assert my rights to the minerals.

Just found out the parcel in question is 25-05-0005-0004-0000, and have reason to believe it may be already in production. Does any one know if it is in production and what the company name is? If there’s an online resource for this I’d appreciate a link.

Thanks!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.