Approached to sell

I have been approached by a man named Robert (Bobby) Nutter Jr out of Clarksburg WV about selling the mineral rights my brother and I own in Wetzel County. He says he represents a "group of investors" that is interested in buying. He first contacted my by messaging me on Facebook stating that he could not find a physical address for me. He is stating that he can get us 5800.00 and possibly more per acre. While this does not sound like a bad offer and I could use the money, I am a bit leery. Something just seems off. He has not mentioned a company that he works for or anything. The letters he has sent have a phone number and just a PO Box number in Clarksburg. Is this unusual? Am I being to suspicious? Has anyone ever heard of him? While I'm asking questions, does anyone know a good attorney that is familiar with the sale of mineral rights that I could retain to oversee any sale? Thanks for any input.

Scott Windom and Kyle Nuttall are two I would check with about this. I know that Scott Windom has handled many of these sales, and I think Kyle Nuttall has also done this. Both also help with lease negotiations, and other oil and gas related things, in northern WV.

Kyle Nutgall has been very helpful on an informal basis for me previously. Were you able to determine more about this person? We've had a company approach us previously for our rights but we did not sign. Ours was recently permitted. I'm actually shocked we haven't had more people actively approaching us. Keep us posted!

There are a lot of companies out there buying up mineral rights. There are a couple of things I would be a little careful of. 1) make sure not to warrant title, and 2) don't send them a signed deed without a check in hand. If you'd like a little more personal attention, I can certainly help with that.