Appraisal raised

Hello, my appraisal has almost doubled from the Last 15 years! Went from 10,000.00 too 18,000.00. For 20 acres It’s nothing but brush,never had a well on it ever as far as I know,never while I owned it. I couldn’t havesold for 10,000.00, if my life depended on it! How would I sell for 18,000.00 It’s section 14 - block 7 - east 1/2 of the NE1/4 OF THE NE 1/4 OF Section 14 - block 7 I what the form the sent me for disputing this! How should I word it. Thank you so much William g Sweeney jr

Please provide the state and county your property is located in.

If in Texas, have you kept your agriculture exemption current with the appraisal district? Also, in Texas, it is past the time to file a protest.

Sorry it’s Reeve’s county texas. I just recieved the letter in the mail.

I don’t live there, nobody could,except for cows . Don’t know what the agricultural things are!

Mine went up from 44.64/acre to $450/acre. 10x increase. In Block 59 of Reeves Co., where even cows can’t make it anymore. And no real lease or oil activity. I’ll appeal; I tried to get a private appraisal about 18 months ago, and everyone I contacted declined saying the mineral rights are purely speculative in that area. They said the only real valuation I could get would be put it out for bids and see what I could get. Then, Apache pulled out/Covid hit/oil and gas collapsed and there wasn’t any reason to ask for a bid at a firesale. But, the appraiser apparently doesn’t see it that way!

Disclaimer: I am not a tax person

Ah ok, y’all are talking about the surface value, not the mineral value (the county doesn’t appraise non-producing minerals). It could be the hot real estate market starting to affect the very rural.

I was able to check that @William_Sweeney was talking about surface ownership, but @David_z, is that what you’re talking about? Your comment on finding a mineral appraiser makes me wonder. A private appraisal of the mineral estate wouldn’t lower a land appraisal.

2 Likes

Hi Tracy, thank you for looking at what I was talking about. I wasn’t home,so I couldn’t look at my paper work. The abstract # of block 7- section 14 is " A-3874". I own 20 acres in the E 1/2 of the NE1/4 OF NE 1/4 Section 14 ,block 7. Thank you for previously looking for me. William Sweeney

We got a ten fold increase which is absurd when the land is producing nothing. I am wondering if this isn’t a land grab attempt. The leases stop and then all of the sudden the taxes are ten times higher. Has Reeves County gone corrupt like DC?

You make a great point, Tracy, and one that I often blur. Surface value and mineral value are different and that to me makes this even more egregious! The land in Block 59 is not hot from a real estate or surface value perspective. The only real value this land has is the accompanying mineral rights. If I were to severe the mineral rights, it would be hard to give the land away.

you have done me a great favor of reminding me that the appraisal is for the supposed surface value. So when I appeal, I need to stick to the lack of use for the surface of the land.

Yes, nothing has occurred in miles and miles to increase the surface value of the land. It is empty dry land unsuitable for agriculture. There are no utilities, no services nearby, nobody lives within miles. Probably should challenge whether there has been any value increase regarding surface use.

William have you gotten any answers for the land increase? I too, am in Reeves County and my assessment for taxes just went up 46,000 in 12 months.

strange, mine appears to have gone down?

NBH CODE 400.pdf (136.8 KB) I had a response from Reeves County Central AD indicating there was a sale in the area on a much smaller plot than our that prompted the increase to $450 per acre.

I am in the process of investigating, but it appears that much of the land around ours has exemptions. For example: Estimated Taxes With Exemptions: $41.97 Estimated Taxes Without Exemptions: $6,288.02 Our property has no exemptions and it is not clear how to get them, so we are slated to pay about 150 times more than a corporation. The exempted properties are owned by REEVES COUNTY MINERALS LP.

Anyone know what is up?

If that is true about the 450.00, that is still a 1000.00 less the the last 20 years appraisal and 10,000.00 less then the new one!!

Hi Marietta, not any on this forum on how to word my protest. I did complete the appraisal form and said, I couldn’t have sold for the old appraisal at 10,000.00 for 20 acres of absolutely nothing but brush land, where even cows can’t survive, no less 19,000.00 for the same 20 acres. I can’t afford an out side appraisal or lawyer. So I don’t think they will care about my opinion…

My appraisal for Block 13 Section 223 Reeves County went from 80,480 to 293,750. Yes, there are pipelines running through it, but those one time easement payments are going to pay the taxes moving forward! I didn’t get the letters until too late to protest.

I have been told that the appraisals were done by someone outside Reeves County using Google maps or similar. If true, its an interesting thought that appraisals could be done without actually visiting the properties!

I understand you are supposed to have 30 days from the time they are mailed out. Really needs to be more.

I am in contact with a guy who says he is helping the CAD process the protests. They are probably dealing with more that their staff can handle. I have issues such as the tract immeditately adjoining us to the south and the same size is appraised 66% of ours.