Appraisal raised

I wonder if appraisal reform would be a good idea for the legislature …

From my conversation with the guy CAD hired to help (he’s from Kansas) the appraisals are definitely based on sale of surface. In Texas, of course, county records of sales are not public. Sales records are obtained from Public sources. You can’t find them without paying for access to real estate records or going through a realtor etc. This is not true in most States. Just try and cut into the “monopoly” of the Real Estate Industry. Their lobby is strong.

Yes, in other states where I pay property taxes (TN and GA) I can see all sales activity on the county assessor site, but not in Texas! Maddening.

In the other locations, as appraisals have skyrocketed, the local tax authorities have adjusted their tax rates downward to maintain similar tax revenue/tax bills. I have to believe Reeves Co will adjust their’s downward. If they don’t, I am not sure how long I can sustain a $5k+ per yr tax bill.

I am hoping that while my appraisal increased 800%, the tax bill will increase by no more than 10% (which is a huge tax increase in and of itself). I could handle that.

My surface values went up 1300% and 1700%… from 2k to 28 k and from $500 to $9000. That doesnt include the doubling of the mineral taxes. And I found out too late to protest. I am absolutely floored and disgusted at this blatant money grab. It’s just scrub land with not even anything on it.

Likewise, 40 acres my wife owns in Blk 55 PSL, sec 37 went up 1300% ($2,000 to $28,000). I filed a protest stating no road to the property, no leases on the land, no oil production in area, no grass, no water, no electricity, and 50 or so miles from Toyah in the middle of no where close to the Culberson Cnty line. Will be interesting to see what happens with the protet. Heard nothing from Reeves Cnty yet. Donny

Blk 55 PSL is public school land, and in the State of Texas ownes the minerals. Unless there is some production, all we get to do is pay taxes on it. As far as I know, no one who has owned the property has set foot on it since the 1930’s.

Being I am on a fixed income, I will be forced to sell my property,if the taxes raised too high. I know I will never get the price of their appraisal! So I won’t get the top price!!

Using the Reeves County CAD system, check to see if the properties around you have exemptions. If they do, there may be cattle grazing on your property which entities you to a discount that all the big boys are using.

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.