Any interest East of Neches?

Looking for information on lease activity just East of Neches. John Ogden Survey.

Anyone been offered leases and willing to share information?

Yes, Graem contacted me a month ago & Petro seems to have an interest, as well. I haven't signed a lease, yet.

That sounds like good news. We are under contract to purchase parcel and curious if the minerals have any immediate value.

I keep up with some leasing activity in Anderson co but I have not heard of any east of Neches, There has been a lot north of Neches and some just SW and west of Palestine and just yesterday a request from a new forum member for info east and SE of Palestine. Read all you can on the Anderson forum and there may may be something in the past year that could give you some info. I'll Keep checking on my sources on the internet and gossip at the round table in the Neches store and will forward any good stuff you may be interested in. Good luck, John

Thanks John,

Appreciate the feedback.

Mark I looked at my big Anderson Co survey map to see where the Ogden survey is and it is the survey where Neches is located. I was thinking it was a few miles east of Neches and I know a man well who just got a $200 lease on the north side of Neches, probably in the Harrison survey which joins the Ogden survey. Is the land you are buying on HWY 79?

I assume you are referring to the J Ogden A-594, which straddles Hwy 79? Graem has been leasing in that survey. They have done hundreds of leases since mid-2012 in the Neches area. It is a target area that deserves a premium price.

Thanks Alan. Is the 200 offered for similar considered premium?

Alan Herrington said:

I assume you are referring to the J Ogden A-594, which straddles Hwy 79? Graem has been leasing in that survey. They have done hundreds of leases since mid-2012 in the Neches area. It is a target area that deserves a premium price.

Its a bit off 79.

john cundieff said:

Mark I looked at my big Anderson Co survey map to see where the Ogden survey is and it is the survey where Neches is located. I was thinking it was a few miles east of Neches and I know a man well who just got a $200 lease on the north side of Neches, probably in the Harrison survey which joins the Ogden survey. Is the land you are buying on HWY 79?

I have reviewed all leases (and lease memos) recorded in Anderson County since the beginning of 2012. Using the limited data available from those filings, I have been tracking which leasing companies have been operating in Anderson County, and what surveys they have been leasing in. Beginning about a month ago, I began to see two (or even three) companies leasing in the same survey. Now that there is some competition, lease bonuses are moving up. If you have desirable net acreage, I think the bonus has moved up into the $300 - $400 range. That's just an estimate, based on conversations I have had with mineral owners who are negotiating leases right now.

I was able to download Anderson County survey boundaries into Google Earth, and I have mapped all the surveys that have seen new leases since the beginning of 2012. There have been new leases in 211different surveys. I can't precisely estimate acreage, since I can only identify the surveys involved, not the actual lease boundaries, but it appears to me that at least 1/3 of Anderson County's total acreage has been leased since the beginning of 2012. Regardless of what the correct percentage is, it is clear that something big is coming. The Brushy Creek and Neches areas have been major targets.

Some of the leasing is being done by the small, traditional, vertical well drilling companies. However, most of the leasing is being done by some dummy companies that have been set up to hide the identity of the E&P company (or companies) seeking the leases. These companies have been leasing since early to mid 2012, are are now very close to completing the initial phase of their property acquisitions. They have leased thousands of net acres, which makes it very clear that most of the leasing isn't about vertical wells...it's horizontal drilling for sure.

It's no secret that the Eagle Ford formation sweeps up through Anderson County, and it's combination with the Woodbine formation, called the "Eaglebine" is as much as 1,000 feet thick here. I definitely think some of the leasing is for some type of Eaglebine play. One thing I learned recently is that there are at least two "levels" to the Woodbine formation. Most of the old drilling in the Woodbine was in the shallower depths, called the main sand. Much of the deeper Woodbine, called the stringer sand, is untouched.

In additional, to the Eaglebine, there are other formations in Anderson County that are possible horizontal drilling targets.

Are you aware that EOG is currently drilling a well in southwestern Smith County, just northeast of the most eastern part of Lake Palestine? You can drive right by it, as Smith County road 1106 runs right next to it.

EOG has never drilled a well in Smith County before. Another unusual aspect of this well is that it was permitted as a "service well", meaning it's not for production:

http://webapps.rrc.state.tx.us/DP/drillDownQueryAction.do?fromPublicQuery=Y&name=COWAN&univDocNo=487600977

Remember how I said that it appears the initial phase of leasing is ending, and that dummy company names were being used to hide the identity of one or more E&P companies?

I've been told there's an anticline structure that peaks in southern Smith County and arches down across Anderson and Cherokee Counties...is it just a coincidence that EOG is drilling a well in that area?

Only time will tell...

Alan,

Thanks for posting this info. Very interesting.

Clint Liles

That is very interesting Alan and I am wondering if you are the same Alan that exchanged some comments with a geologist named Mark on the Eagle Ford mineral forum back in March. If not read the "Oil and Gass Buzz in Anderson Co." This is also interesting reading. John

Alan Herrington said:

I have reviewed all leases (and lease memos) recorded in Anderson County since the beginning of 2012. Using the limited data available from those filings, I have been tracking which leasing companies have been operating in Anderson County, and what surveys they have been leasing in. Beginning about a month ago, I began to see two (or even three) companies leasing in the same survey. Now that there is some competition, lease bonuses are moving up. If you have desirable net acreage, I think the bonus has moved up into the $300 - $400 range. That's just an estimate, based on conversations I have had with mineral owners who are negotiating leases right now.

I was able to download Anderson County survey boundaries into Google Earth, and I have mapped all the surveys that have seen new leases since the beginning of 2012. There have been new leases in 211different surveys. I can't precisely estimate acreage, since I can only identify the surveys involved, not the actual lease boundaries, but it appears to me that at least 1/3 of Anderson County's total acreage has been leased since the beginning of 2012. Regardless of what the correct percentage is, it is clear that something big is coming. The Brushy Creek and Neches areas have been major targets.

Some of the leasing is being done by the small, traditional, vertical well drilling companies. However, most of the leasing is being done by some dummy companies that have been set up to hide the identity of the E&P company (or companies) seeking the leases. These companies have been leasing since early to mid 2012, are are now very close to completing the initial phase of their property acquisitions. They have leased thousands of net acres, which makes it very clear that most of the leasing isn't about vertical wells...it's horizontal drilling for sure.

It's no secret that the Eagle Ford formation sweeps up through Anderson County, and it's combination with the Woodbine formation, called the "Eaglebine" is as much as 1,000 feet thick here. I definitely think some of the leasing is for some type of Eaglebine play. One thing I learned recently is that there are at least two "levels" to the Woodbine formation. Most of the old drilling in the Woodbine was in the shallower depths, called the main sand. Much of the deeper Woodbine, called the stringer sand, is untouched.

In additional, to the Eaglebine, there are other formations in Anderson County that are possible horizontal drilling targets.

Are you aware that EOG is currently drilling a well in southwestern Smith County, just northeast of the most eastern part of Lake Palestine? You can drive right by it, as Smith County road 1106 runs right next to it.

EOG has never drilled a well in Smith County before. Another unusual aspect of this well is that it was permitted as a "service well", meaning it's not for production:

http://webapps.rrc.state.tx.us/DP/drillDownQueryAction.do?fromPubli...

Remember how I said that it appears the initial phase of leasing is ending, and that dummy company names were being used to hide the identity of one or more E&P companies?

I've been told there's an anticline structure that peaks in southern Smith County and arches down across Anderson and Cherokee Counties...is it just a coincidence that EOG is drilling a well in that area?

Only time will tell...

Yep, that was me! Mark's a really good guy, isn't he? Mark has been very helpful.

http://oilandgas360.com/halcon-resources-ceo-floyd-wilson-on-cnbcs-...

John would probably vouch for me that I am way out of my league with you folks in this field. I do however believe in the old addage "In God we trust all others bring data." Alan's data shows that a high volume of leases are being signed. Regardless of what geological formations the E&P companies are after the fact is they are indeed after something! I'm pretty confident that these companies are not buying leases for sport. I attached a small clip from an interview with Halcon CEO and Jim Cramer. Notice the caption above the screen, pay attention to Cramer's hints, and the tight lipped Mr. Wilson. The Neches store is going to need a bigger table...Interesting times! James

We appreaciate the research you have done as it keeps our hopes up. We bought our land in 1969 near Neches and when we got a lease in Nov. 2011 that was only the 3rd or 4th lease we have had. I don't know of anyone who got a lease before we did and the talk around the community pretty much verifies that. But leasing quickly picked up and now I know a lot of people personnaly and online that have leased. Over the last year people have contacted me from many other states and of course all over Tex. And it is still happening so I have got to believe that something big is in the works this time. We leased to Graem as most people I know did and I know several over in Cherokee Co who also leased with Graem. Have you leased your interest yet and were you contacted by Graem? I was number 8 on the Anderson forum when I joined a year ago and now there are 38 so that tells me something may happen. Keep the comments coming as you learn them and I'll do the same. Good luck,John

I have not leased yet. My family (six groups of Herrington descendants) share about 240 net acres in the Brushy Creek area. My brother, sister, and I share a small interest in the Neches area, and we also share about 130 net acres south of Neches, off Highway 84. I'm talking to two companies regarding our Brushy Creek interests currently. Graem attempted to lease our Neches property when it was still in trust before our mother passed away last year, and Key Exploration has also expressed some interest.

Interesting times...

I am also retired and I would like to meet you in person, perhaps have lunch sometime. I have gotten to know Clint Liles as we have met a few times for lunch. He is almost as full of it as I am but he is a great guy. johncundieff@yahoo.com

Allen & John,

I just went by the EOG location in Southern Smith County. The 'kelly' is turning to the right. H & P Rig # 417 hard at work. DRILL BABY DRILL

Clint Liles

Was the security guard cranky? He didn't like me taking this photograph:

Clint Liles said:

Allen & John,

I just went by the EOG location in Southern Smith County. The 'kelly' is turning to the right. H & P Rig # 417 hard at work. DRILL BABY DRILL

Clint Liles

That was an interesting video, James. Thanks for posting!

James Pieper said:

http://oilandgas360.com/halcon-resources-ceo-floyd-wilson-on-cnbcs-...

John would probably vouch for me that I am way out of my league with you folks in this field. I do however believe in the old addage "In God we trust all others bring data." Alan's data shows that a high volume of leases are being signed. Regardless of what geological formations the E&P companies are after the fact is they are indeed after something! I'm pretty confident that these companies are not buying leases for sport. I attached a small clip from an interview with Halcon CEO and Jim Cramer. Notice the caption above the screen, pay attention to Cramer's hints, and the tight lipped Mr. Wilson. The Neches store is going to need a bigger table...Interesting times! James