Anderson County, TX - Oil & Gas Discussion archives

Has anyone been approached recently about leasing in the Isaac Lindsey (A-38) survey? Also, is there a good resource for learning about the names and depths of the strata in this area?

Don't know about leasing in A-38 survey, but the historical producing horizons in that area have been the James Lime (10,000') and Pettet Lime (10,300'). Note all depths are approximate.

Other formations of note are the Travis Peak Sand (starting around 10,500;) and Rodessa Lime (9800-9900')

To my knowledge, there is no resource that will give you a summary of formations and depths for this specific area.

Rayborn, we leased our land in the James Hall A-29 which is located S of Isaac Lindsay A-38 back in 2013. I had the same question as you since a well on our place producing from ~10,200 ft. from the Rodessa formation in the Pert (aka Purt) West Field had depleted back in the late 1980s. The best literature information I found online covering geological formations in N. Anderson Co. is the following link to a 2008 AAPG paper related to the Fairway Field.

http://www.searchanddiscovery.com/pdfz/documents/2008/08092webster/ndx_webster.pdf.html

Download the PDF document and scroll down to the presentation. One of the slides shows the various salt structures in the Brushy Creek area, another illustrates the stacked formations in the Lower Cretaceous from the Massive Anhydrite to the Hosston/Travis Peak. Good luck!

Charlie Wallace

Thanks for the information gentlemen. It's a big help.

Does anybody know what happened with the Mathis and Autry wells EOG drilled before the bottom dropped out? RRC is still showing them shut-in but I figure those leases should be ready to expire.

EOG completed both wells and surveyed the drill site for a horizontal bore for the Mathis well but this was in May of 2014 and by then oil prices were falling very rapidly. Very few leases were renewed and in Oct 2015 EOG submitted a report requesting bids on their interest in Anderson, Cherokee, and Freestone counties. This report is about the very positive results of their drilling activity in these counties and the potential of future good oil production. So when oil prices recover enough surely some other operator will purchase EOG's interest and we'll all be happy again.

Maybe this link on EOG's report is still current

https://www.meagheradvisors.com/listings/project/204/eog-resources-leasehold-anderson-county-tx

Does anyone know what formation or formations these wells are producing or being drill and tested in Anderson Co.?

Also what part of the County are these test wells?

Are they horizontal for the most part?

OBENCO is doing horizontal Rodessa in the northern part of the county / extension south from Henderson Co. Results are all over the place as to economic viability as I see it

Not much else going on in Anderson County from what I have been seeing

The EOG/Mathis well is a mile east of Neches, about 12 miles NE of Palestine and the EOG/Autry well is about 9 miles west of Palestine. Both wells targeted the Goodland/Kiamichi formations. I was excited about the Mathis test as we own 427 net mineral acres about three miles west of it and EOG did not renew the two year option. And I'm nearly 80 and kind of in a hurry if you know what I mean.

EOG bailing on Anderson Co and Goodland trend (aside from around their Cowan well) and Southwestern has had no success finding partners for their Anderson Co position. R Lacy attempted to drill a horizontal Goodland well east of Frankston but rumor has it that they had mechanical problems and had to abandon the well. JAMEX apparently has no plans to offset their Herrington well. CHK, Apache, Carrizo, QStar and Clayton Williams all seem to be either trying to divest their Goodland positions or just let them sit there. Slim times in the area for sure. Aside from OBENCO's hz Rodessa efforts, Maximus is drilling a few one well Paluxy prospects west of Tyler. Tri C's drilling efforts in NW Anderson Co have all been dusters (or close to dusters).

Significant price rebound will help but we have a long way to go to get there.

John, thanks for that link. I'd never been able to find any of that detail on EOG's position. The map in there is hard to read. I'd love to see the details if someone has a better version of it.

Our two leases with EOG have flat 3 year term expiring the middle of next month so I'll be sending a release request. I thought EOG's overall position in Anderson Co. was a lot more than 54,000 acres but there were so many shell companies leasing that it was hard to tell.

The Henning well that R. Lacy recently drilled on the Anderson/Cherokee county line was on part of EOG's acreage but from what Rockman posted earlier it sounds like that one isn't going to advance the cause either.

Glad to know folks are still out there.

Rock Man and others. Thank you for your information. EOG has bought out about 19 operators in Houston Co. Things started slowing way down fast when they got most of this completed. They bought out about 1/2 of the county and then started making insulting offers. I think that after the oil price goes up some, they will resume their activity. It makes no sense to buy all these companies out and then abandon the area and the multiple productive formations that are in Houston Co. But it has happened many times in the past.

Rumor is that EOG is looking to divest their western Madison County Eagle Ford position (Aguila Vado) but they appear to have a Buda sweet spot in the eastern part of the county that they have been drilling recently even in low price environment

A thing to keep in mind with EOG - they have probably THE most extensive data set for Lower Cretaceous section (unconventional carbonates and "shales") in the entire world with all their drilling in S Tx (mostly Pearsall) and up thru Central Texas )Glen Rose, Buda) and then E Tx (Goodland, Pine Island, Bexar). With this confidential data base and experience, they are in a position to take advantage of any price turns or new trends in these areas.

EOG press releases always say "the rock is the key". They have massive rock info in all these areas - and no one else has this asset that will never expire.

2 Likes

Prior to the horizontal Buda play in the southwestern part of Houston Co. there was the Bossier Play in the northern part of Houston Co. as well as the southern part of Anderson Co. These formations are still there. I think that with new technology this will come back again in the near future. It is cheaper to drill and frack a vertical or multi-completion well than to drill and frack a horizontal well. What do any of you think about this? Keep in mind that there is a new $100,000,000 separating plant west of Crockett. Three new pipelines are connecting to it and a fourth planned. There are two 30in., one 24in and another 24in. planned. There are also a 42in Natural gas line by it along with two old liquid lines. This sets the stage for future production in the local county areas.

Agree on Bossier being a future target - but gas prices really have to turn around for this to be viable again. And these deep Bossier wells are very expensive due to pressure issues and need for a lot more casing.

On your other point, it is much cheaper to drill and complete a vertical well versus a hz well, but in most cases these verticals are uneconomic no matter what you do. One needs more open section in the target interval to complete and make a well economic / that is why hz wells are the "in vogue" approach over the past several years.

Got a surprise when I requested a release from EOG on leases that expired last month. They responded to voice mail I'd left their Land Dept and had pulled up the information on my two leases (originally taken by Graem and assigned) but told me EOG doesn't provide a release unless the lease specifically requires it and/or includes a penalty if they don't do it. When I said I plan to follow up with people I know there they said my request would be forwarded to a landman but had no idea when or if I would get something.

In years of leasing that's the first time I've had a problem with a newly expired lease. Anyone else run into this with EOG?

Mike R

Thanks for the reminder I need to push this further. My request supposedly was being passed to someone else in Land Dept but I've heard nothing else from EOG.

If your lease requires a release you may have better luck but it sounds like penalty wording may be the key.

Could anyone give me an idea what the going rate for bonus is out here?