Xes on oil/gas minerals

Does any one have advice on protesting county taxes on oil/gas royalties?

What state are your interests located?

Hi, Robert -

I have heard horror stories about how some counties are upping their taxes on mineral interests exponentially without any discussion. Everyone in that position needs to challenge their appraisals.

I'm sure there are a number of organizations that can help you, perhaps even some local attorneys. The only group that I am personally aware of is the Texas Surface Owners Association. They may be able to help you.

If you will go to http://surfaceowners.com/ and fill in the Membership Inquiry at the bottom, someone will get in touch with you. And there isn't any obligation to join tied into a Membership Inquiry. It's just to provide them with your contact information.

Hope this helps -

Charles Emery Tooke III

Certified Professional Landman

Fort Worth, Texas

Kitchen: If you click on his name in the header of his email, it will take you to his personal page where you will see that his minerals are in Grimes Co, Tx.

Great area!

It is generally not possible to change the valuation of your royalty interest in a well. The counties do not set the values, only the tax rate. Well valuation are done by companies such as Pritchard & Abbott and are based on the decline curve, oil & gas price projections, economic life of the well, etc. When the well value is determined, then the taxes are assessed based on each owner's DOI (decimals for working interests plus decimals for royalty & overriding royalty owners will add up to 100%). My experience is that any protest needs to be done by the operator - such as because the well has suddenly failed or oil prices have dropped precipitously since January 1. Any reduced valuation is passed through to the mineral owners. Contact your county appraisal district to find out who is performing mineral appraisals and then get the information from the 3rd party company.

Thanks for the information. I'll get in touch with them.

Robert Cleveland

Thanks for the for information.

Robert Cleveland

Grimes County.

Robert Cleveland