Wyoming Mineral Rights - Mother passed away without will

I’m hoping to get some help. My mom recently passed away and she did her own will on her iPad stating her mineral right are to be shared by my sister and I with her passing. Obviously stating this in her will is in no way a legal will. Lol. I live in Nebraska my sister lives in Kansas and mineral rights are in carbon county Wyoming. What would be the best starting point for my sister and I? She has no outstanding debts. Since she passed away from terminal cancer she did make sure of that. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

The mineral interest will be subject to the laws of intestate succession in the state where the minerals are located (Wyoming). At least that’s how we do things in Texas, so I assume it’s similar.

Did you mom leave a surviving spouse? If not, my best guess is that you and your sister are going to be 50/50 heirs anyways due to the intestate succession laws, unless there are other children, a surviving spouse, etc. Just look up Wyoming intestate succession laws and you’ll be able to figure it out.

1 Like

Also, a probate will be available even in the absence of a Will. But contact a WY attorney.