Wyoming - How Do I Update the Owner Names and Addresses on Mineral Rights?

My Dad left my sister and I some mineral rights near Douglas, in Converse Co, WY in 1985. We never received any type of title paperwork as part of probate. We were both young adults and didn't have a clue on what should have happened during probate anyway. We both have different last names now, and live different cites (I even moved to another state). How do we get our new names and contact information changed on the mineral rights? We have my dad's old oil and uranium leases with the specific details (township, range, sections) on where the property is.

The reason this even came up is because a man called my sister, and said he had spent many years and lots of money to track us down. He did not represent any company, but said he just speculated on property from time to time, like it was a hobby. We are wondering why he spent "many years and lots of money" to track us down if there wasn't a good reason. He sent my sister a 5 year lease offering about $20. per acre, and a very small percentage if they ever did find oil. He would also be the only one to decide if the lease was to be renewed. We didn't sign it.

So, how do we get our names and addresses updated for the mineral rights on that property? We have a feeling that there must be some interest in the property.

Dear Ms. O.

The easiest, cheapest and best way is to file an "Affidavit of Identity."

An attorney could easily prepare one for you, if you are not confident in your own actions.

Thank you so much. I really appreciate you taking the time to respond!

Buddy Cotten said:

Dear Ms. O.

The easiest, cheapest and best way is to file an "Affidavit of Identity."

An attorney could easily prepare one for you, if you are not confident in your own actions.

Best,

Buddy Cotten

www.cottenoilproperties.com

Shelley,

Lease activity is relatively "hot" in certain portions of Converse county. If your minerals are near those areas, you could receive $100 / acre, or if you're closer, perhaps receive $300 or more/acre. Though Converse is a big county and your minerals might not be near the current action.

Mr. Cotton offered you good advice on what to do. You (and your sister) need to file in their courthouse. If oil companies can't find you as an heir, due to your address and name changes, you may miss out entirely. So get something current "on record". Their County Clerk's telephone is 307-358-2244, and the address is;

Converse County Clerk

107 N. 5th

Suite 114

Douglas, WY 82633

One final thing. If you two are not near Douglas, go ahead and file based on the legal description off that old lease. Yet realize that lease may have included only some of your Dad's minerals. So if anyone is near Douglas it may be worth a trip to check the county records for your Dad's name. Good luck, hope you two are in the thick of it.