WTI at $1.76

@Todd; Reservoir pressure is not lost while the wells are shut in. A situation where reservoir pressure can be lost is when other wells in the drainage area are not shut in, whereby depleting the reservoir in the drainage area effecting the shut in well. What can happen when shutting wells in, is that frac water or natural reservoir water reduces the near wellbore permeability, thus effecting the production rate in a negative aspect. Thus the shutting in of wells that are in early stages of flow back with high amounts of frac water may have impact.

Hi there! Yes, we had some very nice wells offshore that benefited from being shut in periodically to recharge. However, we controlled the other wells in the field so could maintain pressure. Horizontal wells are a whole different beast as you explained.

Shut in horizontal shale wells is a whole lot better than $20.00/bbl!!! I broke out in the oilfield when oil was $5 a barrel and gas was between .28 & .35/mcf. Fortunately for me this was in the early seventies when I got my first job digging ditches in SE New Mexico.

In my personal opinion “Flaring” any hydrocarbon or gas is a mortal sin! Believe me, I do know what I’m talking about.

sw

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.