WSP blank Check

Has anyone received a White Star check (Nov.) that does not have your name in the "Pay to Order" line? Will I have. I was so surprised that they would send out check a without a payee noted. I called White Star and also emailed them. It's been two weeks and no responses. I am going ahead and but my name on the check and deposit the check and see if it clears.

Hi, Donald!

I don't think you should deposit or cash the check until you are absolutely sure what it is for. What if they come back later and say it was to purchase your mineral or royalty interests?

Call White Star again and ask to speak to the VP of Land or the head of their Legal Department.

If you can't get through, then have an attorney contact them.

Hope this helps -

Charles Emery Tooke III

Certified Professional Landman

Fort Worth, Texas

I agree with Charles. I wouldn't deposit that check under any circumstances and particularly if you have given White Star any recordable documents transferring acreage you did not independently confirm you owned. And that means anywhere in the subject county.

Gary L Hutchinson

Donald,

It's not that I'm paranoid or anything (well...).

But it just occurred to me that language in a cover letter that came with the check or even on the check or check stub might qualify what the money is for.

If you would feel comfortable scanning it all and posting it here, I'd like to take a look at it. Especially anything written on the back of anything.

Donald:

I agree with Charles and Gary and I am definitely paranoid about something like this. There are too many crooks out there and the oil world is infested with them. That's not saying there aren't a lot of good ones as well; but, the problem is sorting through the maze. IMO, an unsigned check from an oil company is as worthless as the paper it is written on and a whole lot more dangerous.